Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread: My how the tide has shifted

Default Re: My how the tide has shifted

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Caviar View Post
    Oh, you can say what you want, but you need to be big enough to take it when the other side chimes in.
    What’s the “other side”? There’s sides now?

2. Default Re: My how the tide has shifted

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Every debate has at least two sides. Most every opinion has a counter opinion. I guess you believe only your opinion or “side” counts, correct?

3. Default Re: My how the tide has shifted

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Caviar View Post
    No, they have just been made to eat crow and that is difficult for some.
    Eating humble pie is the backbone of great coaches.

Eating crow is nothing to be ashamed of.

When a coach pulls a starting pitcher after one, inning, he is admitting he was wrong, but knowing when to change strategy is what makes a good coach, a great coach.

4. Default Re: My how the tide has shifted

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Eating humble pie is the backbone of great coaches.

Eating crow is nothing to be ashamed of.

When a coach pulls a starting pitcher after one, inning, he is admitting he was wrong, but knowing when to change strategy is what makes a good coach, a great coach.
    You know I am not talking about coaches.

This 10000x

Talking about it shows that you actually care.
    Exactly. The fake fans that don't donate to UL and simply come here to troll to look tough at the company water cooler are chaos enjoyers . Us real fans who spend our money has a right to voice an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by babysitter View Post
    After what has turned out to be a pretty successful baseball season I see some of the crow eating has begun. All of a sudden we like "Deggs Ball". Suddenly we just have to accept the good decisions with the bad ones. Suddenly we like the havoc created on the base paths and putting pressure on the opponent's defense. Suddenly it's all part of the process. Suddenly getting picked off on base is OK as we're just an "aggressive" team. We want to order his book now. We suddenly look forward to next season and everyone has become "all in" on the Deggs bandwagon.

People wanted a statue of Billy Napier [until he left for only 3 plus million more per year and a much better career path] and loved him until he started "taking" coaches and players with him. Before all that Billy Napier had carte blanche within the confines of this university. All of a sudden, people [many of YOU] think he's the biggest POS that ever graced Cajun Field.

See the pattern here ? With all that said, maybe a good remedy for the future is just sit back, relax, and enjoy whatever sport you support. It must be embarrassing after some verbal assaults toward certain coaches that you have to now come crawling back into the program and act like you've had their back from the get go. It's a joke.

What many don't realize is that Deggs never changed his style from when he was in the 3B box in 2013 and 2014 to when he came back here in 2020. The difference was we had better players, won more games, and were far more sexy than the 2022 squad. That's it. The problem is that many forgot what it was like with him here in '13 and '14. All the comparisons to Robe began and on and on and on. No two coaches are alike. Let it go. Even Robe wouldn't approve of the comparison but would certainly be appreciative of your support for the man whose hands this program is now in.

We should all be fired up about this baseball program going into the 2023 season. We made it to a Regional when as recently as 5 weeks ago no one gave this team a snowballs chance in hell to win anything. These players and coaches more than deserve the support of the fan base and community moving forward as exciting times could certainly be on the way.
    Lets understand that when he was here previously he was “good cop”. Robe was “bad cop”. There is a much different dynamic when you have that situation. Now he(Deggs) is in a much different role. Its much easier as an assistant trying to get guys to run thru a brick wall for you than when you are the head coach and making every decision that affects the program, who plays and who doesnt, who you leave off a travel roster, who u cut from the team and who you keep. Its just different.

I saw a change in this team about 4-5 weeks ago. I cant say it was one thing or the other but i will say that i think the change came within the coaching staff. I think they finally decided to let a few things on the mound play out and let guys work thru some struggles instead of making a quick change. And offensively i think they clearly defined roles for guys instead of playing musical chairs with the lineup. When those things started to happen is when i think we saw this team turn the corner. So credit the staff for doing that.
    The aggressive style is what everyone fell in love with here lately. Truth be told, our legs and running game is what put us in the situation we were in at the end of the season. I think we can all live with the aggressive style and what comes along with that. Pickoffs and bone head baserunning mistakes early innthe season is not being aggressive. Most were baseball IQ issues. Stretching a single to a double and getting thrown out is being aggressive. It happens. Getting picked off without the steal sign on is not.
    I think returning to a regional was a great accomplishment for this team considering the first half of the year. We got hot when we needed to at the plate, used our running game enough to create offense, and had a few great outings on the mound. If it wasnt for that i think the narrative about the season could be a little different. I do believe we got every ounce of ability out of these guys. We looked more like a Cajun baseball team the past month of the season and that felt really good. I do think this staff has a big challenge ahead to replace what we will lose off this years team. Three weekend arms is not easy replace. And we all know we need more consistent depth in the pen. I do think another year for some of those guys will definitely help, but we need more pieces there. Offensively losing possibly 2 guys to the draft and a senior bat means we bring back a good nucleus to build off of. I think we need more fire power offensively so we dont have to rely as much on our running game. Lots of work ahead of us. But its something to be looking forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by babysitter View Post
    After what has turned out to be a pretty successful baseball season I see some of the crow eating has begun. All of a sudden we like "Deggs Ball". Suddenly we just have to accept the good decisions with the bad ones. Suddenly we like the havoc created on the base paths and putting pressure on the opponent's defense. Suddenly it's all part of the process. Suddenly getting picked off on base is OK as we're just an "aggressive" team. We want to order his book now. We suddenly look forward to next season and everyone has become "all in" on the Deggs bandwagon.

👍👍👍👍👍👍👌👌👌👌👌👌

People wanted a statue of Billy Napier [until he left for only 3 plus million more per year and a much better career path] and loved him until he started "taking" coaches and players with him. Before all that Billy Napier had carte blanche within the confines of this university. All of a sudden, people [many of YOU] think he's the biggest POS that ever graced Cajun Field.

See the pattern here ? With all that said, maybe a good remedy for the future is just sit back, relax, and enjoy whatever sport you support. It must be embarrassing after some verbal assaults toward certain coaches that you have to now come crawling back into the program and act like you've had their back from the get go. It's a joke.

What many don't realize is that Deggs never changed his style from when he was in the 3B box in 2013 and 2014 to when he came back here in 2020. The difference was we had better players, won more games, and were far more sexy than the 2022 squad. That's it. The problem is that many forgot what it was like with him here in '13 and '14. All the comparisons to Robe began and on and on and on. No two coaches are alike. Let it go. Even Robe wouldn't approve of the comparison but would certainly be appreciative of your support for the man whose hands this program is now in.

We should all be fired up about this baseball program going into the 2023 season. We made it to a Regional when as recently as 5 weeks ago no one gave this team a snowballs chance in hell to win anything. These players and coaches more than deserve the support of the fan base and community moving forward as exciting times could certainly be on the way.

There’s the Caviar side of an issue and the Vic side of an issue.

9. Default Re: My how the tide has shifted

Winning cures all. Lose & the head honcho takes a hit. That’s one of the pay perks.

10. Default Re: My how the tide has shifted

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    There’s the Caviar side of an issue and the Vic side of an issue.
    I would think that we should each be entitled to our own views here just as you believe you are entitled to yours.

Criticism is everyone’s right. But at least have a clue what you’re talking about when doing it.

Calling a player stupid for taking a fastball right down the middle…when the bases are loaded and the pitcher has thrown 5 straight balls??

Griping that a pitcher “threw it right down the middle!!!”

Those things make you look like a fool. I guess everyone also has a right to look like a fool though.

12. Default Re: My how the tide has shifted

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    Criticism is everyone’s right. But at least have a clue what you’re talking about when doing it.

Calling a player stupid for taking a fastball right down the middle…when the bases are loaded and the pitcher has thrown 5 straight balls??

Those things make you look like a fool. I guess everyone also has a right to look like a fool though.
    Yes they do and should welcome being called out for it when they do.

Well not all the detractors are eating crow. Most are though. Credit to Deggs and the team to get buy in from the majority of the fan base.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post

Why would it make someone a fool to say an 0-2 pitch caught too much of the plate?

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    Why would it make someone a fool to say an 0-2 pitch caught too much of the plate?
    Saying “man, he caught too much of the plate with that pitch” is WAY different than “he threw it right down the middle!!!”

The foolishness shows when a fan thinks these guys can locate their pitches exactly where they want to every pitch. A 3-2 pitch that gets hammered was a pitch that had a margin of error of about 6-8 inches. A couple one way and its ball 4, and the fan gripes that the pitcher walked the guy. Right on and its an out (or possibly an unlucky hit allowed). A few inches the other way and “he threw it right down the middle!”

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread Information