Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Landrey Wilkerson

Default Re: Landrey Wilkerson

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    On paper looks like Deggs kind of guys who he can develop.
    We have enough developmental guys. We need impact players

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    We can always get better. However, we actually led the Sun Belt in team ERA for the second year in a row. Our team ERA went from 3.34 in 2021 to 4.10 this year. The average Sun Belt team ERA was 5.34, up from 4.92 last year.

Runs scored in the Sunbelt went from 3,405 last year to 4,084 this year, an increase of 19.9%. Talk about inflation. The same is true all across college baseball. Probably time to raise the stiches on the baseball like MLB. Our runs scored increased 19.7%.

Just like golf, players are getting stronger and using technology to perfect swing mechanics.
    While I agree with what you are saying about our pitching staff, the concern (at least on my part) is more about the pitchers we are losing. Most of the guys we saw on the mound this season are seniors: Tally, Schultz, Wilson, Perrin, and Rawls. Other pitchers who saw time on the mound and should be coming back are Bonds, Christi, and Menard. There are a few more on the roster that I am less familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    While I agree with what you are saying about our pitching staff, the concern (at least on my part) is more about the pitchers we are losing. Most of the guys we saw on the mound this season are seniors: Tally, Schultz, Wilson, Perrin, and Rawls. Other pitchers who saw time on the mound and should be coming back are Bonds, Christi, and Menard. There are a few more on the roster that I am less familiar with.
    Rawls is listed as a sophomore on the roster

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    The offense output is nuts right now in college baseball. Pitching is down. Also, the limited draft in 2020 sent a bunch of great high school hitters, who would normally turn pro, to college for development.

Dylan Crews at LSU is a prime example. He was projected mid-1st round out of high school in 2020, so he went to college.

Freshman Tommy White at NC State finished with 27 HR this season, a record and announced he is in the portal.

Lastly, there are a bunch of older position guys playing five and six seasons with extra COVID seasons, grad transfers and no "sit out rule". After four years a lot of college pitchers arms are simply shot.
    This is a good take. There are a ton of 22-23 year old dudes playing college ball right now. That is not normal at all. And 22-23 year olds are much stronger than 18-19-20 year olds. I think that definitely has had an effect on things.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    This is a good take. There are a ton of 22-23 year old dudes playing college ball right now. That is not normal at all. And 22-23 year olds are much stronger than 18-19-20 year olds. I think that definitely has had an effect on things.
    Deggs and Todd Walker both mentioned the older guys mashing at TX State. Dalton Shuffield is 23, Faison: 23, Justin Thompson: 23, all in their 5th year on rosters.

Speaking of Todd Walker, he was a treat to listen to on the tube. Very complimentary of our program and history, as well as his insight during the game.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    Rawls is listed as a sophomore on the roster
    Oops, my bad.

In 2020 the NCAA gave everybody an extra COVID season and expanded rosters. Then MLB cut the draft to five rounds that year and dropped 25% of their minor league teams at the end of 2020. They added back 10 rounds in the 2021 draft, but it was pretty clear MLB punted player development to the NCAA. Deggs understands college baseball is a talent acquisition business. We'll be fine.

I hope these kids pan out and are the next Cajun greats. I do recall Deggs saying in an interview during the season he wanted to get back to building the team like the 13, and 14 teams with home grown kids. And he specified home grown as being from east Tx. to the Fla Panhandle. Looks like he is straying from his own statement here with these two.

Since that was published they also added the Lejeune kid from TC and LSUE. Any other late adds?

Couple of multi-sport athletes coming in, football and basketball. Love that.

Highlighting the pitchers coming in below since that's the number one concern going into next year, along with selected snippets of their capsule bio:

1. RYAN BARON – LHP, R/L, 6-3, 175, Lake Charles, La. (St. Louis Catholic HS)
        Helped team win state champ, father played in minors for 9 years

2. GAGE BIHM – LHP, L/L, 6-4, 195, Opelousas, La. (Hinds CC/Opelousas Catholic HS)
        Rated the No. 3 left-hander pitching prospect in the state of Louisiana by PerfectGame.org coming out of high school. 0-2 with 6.28 ERA in CC

3. STEVEN CASH – LHP, R/L, 6-1, 180, Centreville, Ala. (Bibb County HS)
        Posted a 9-1 record with a 1.02 earned run average and 125 strikeouts in 61.1 innings pitched as a junior … named the PBR Alabama Player of the Month in March 2021. Team captain of football team, also played basketball.

4. SAM HILL – RHP, R/R, 6-6, 210, Laurel, Miss. (Pearl River CC/West Jones HS)
        A second-team NJCAA All-American in 2021 at Pearl River Community College (Miss.) … named to the All-MACC team … was 4-1 on the mound with a 2.48 earned run average … fanned 42 batters in 36.1 innings … won a MHSAA state championship at West Jones High School in 2019 … was 4-1 that season with 1.78 ERA; struck out 44 in 35.1 innings … Struck out 17 in 6.2 innings during shortened senior season

5. LUKE MCGIBBONEY – RHP, R/R, 6-2, 200, St. Amant, La. (LSU-Eunice/Catholic HS)
        Posted a 3-0 record with a 3.96 ERA in 2021 at LSU-Eunice … appeared in 11 games with nine starts for the NJCAA National Champions … earned the start and pitched 4.2 innings with three strikeouts for the Bengals in the NJCAA championship game against Western Oklahoma State

6. BRENDAN MOODY – RHP, R/R, 6-2, 210, Iowa, La. (LSU-Eunice/Iowa HS)
        Posted an 0-1 record with a 1.54 ERA for the NJCAA National Champions at LSU-Eunice

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    I hope these kids pan out and are the next Cajun greats. I do recall Deggs saying in an interview during the season he wanted to get back to building the team like the 13, and 14 teams with home grown kids. And he specified home grown as being from east Tx. to the Fla Panhandle. Looks like he is straying from his own statement here with these two.
    Which tells me these guys are the exception, not the rule. They must see something special in both of them! IMO

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    Since that was published they also added the Lejeune kid from TC and LSUE. Any other late adds?
    Catcher Ben Robichaux from Catholic HS Baton Rouge

https://twitter.com/robichaux_ben/st...2VCbmdNU0hPf7w

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Catcher Ben Robichaux from Catholic HS Baton Rouge

https://twitter.com/robichaux_ben/st...2VCbmdNU0hPf7w
    OF/1B/RHP Connor Doucet (Woodlands, TX)

https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/...aspx?ID=525636

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information