Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Saturday and Sunday in Montgomery

Default Saturday and Sunday in Montgomery

When you're the four seed in a tournament and the three above you are locks for the NCAA tournament, you have to do some things you haven't done before.

Saturday the Cajuns defeated Texas State 3-2. It was the FIRST time all year the Cajuns won a game when scoring fewer than five runs. Jacob Schultz gave a performance for the ages, and, at the end, I gave him a standing ovation on the air. It's only the second time I've done that (Zach Osborne vs. Rice 2010).

Sunday the Cajuns won over Georgia Southern 7-6. It was the FIRST time this year they won a game when trailing after eight innings.

I started to get emotional when the dogpile began. But I swallowed hard and did my own version of "grinding." We knew a win Sunday would be #36. Tim Perrin (Austin's dad) started crying after the Saturday game. None of these kids have experienced a championship and Austin has been there the longest (he and Schultz are the only two that played for Robe). He said we had to win for 36. He wore a shirt Sunday covered in 36's. (and he's about a 4X) That's alot of 36's. He was still on the verge of tears Sunday morning.

Brad went down to interview Coach Deggs. I got a text from Colleen Robichaux. The last out was at 4:36pm. I got choked up during the break. Thankfully the awards ceremony was next and it gave me a chance to get my act together. Then during the interview, Brad mentioned the text (he got it too) and he and Coach Deggs both broke down in tears. We took a break and I was finally ok. Or so I thought.

During the close I mentioned our next broadcast would be in the NCAA regionals and my voice broke. That has NEVER happened during a game broadcast. Brad was back upstairs by that time. I finished up (barely) and signed off. I got up and hugged him.

And proceeded to ugly cry. I mean body racking, loud, sobbing, ugly cry.

I cried because I missed Robe. But I felt his spirit in Montgomery.

I cried because Tim and Lisa Perrin, Brandon and Donna Talley, Dustin and Kelly Brandon, Karen and Joe Kimple, Rob and Jennifer Schultz, Sandy and Mark Wilson and Danny and Vivian Brock (and their sons) were going to have another week of Ragin' Cajuns baseball. (I've gotten to know Danny and Vivian well. I think they're the only parents ever to have me as a guest in their home. They made most road trips and were in for every home weekend this year. Vivian is first generation Colombian and they are just outstanding, loving people. Julian is draft eligible and this could be it for them). These parents have made a bunch of trips over the years (even the Kimples, who have been around the last three weeks and will be in College Station.which is quite a ways away from Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin.) Those relationships have been special to me. I'm so happy for them. (And, Brian Robertson, too, who gave me a bottle of Blanton's to celebrate after the game. TR is probably gone to the draft. Brian didn't make a lot of trips, but I knew he was a great guy before he gave me that gift.)

And I cried because all of you now understand there's more than one way to coach baseball. That's not a knock on you. If you're under age 40, Robe is pretty much all you knew. And, over the last two years, you've gotten on Matt pretty good because he didn't do things the way Robe did them. That was unfair, but I get it. I was so happy for Coach Deggs. I love that man.

Matt Deggs won a championship HIS way with HIS system and HIS players.

If it comes to an end this weekend, so be it.

I'm just so freaking happy right now.

Default Re: Saturday and Sunday in Montgomery

Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    When you're the four seed in a tournament and the three above you are locks for the NCAA tournament, you have to do some things you haven't done before.

Saturday the Cajuns defeated Texas State 3-2. It was the FIRST time all year the Cajuns won a game when scoring fewer than five runs. Jacob Schultz gave a performance for the ages, and, at the end, I gave him a standing ovation on the air. It's only the second time I've done that (Zach Osborne vs. Rice 2010).

Sunday the Cajuns won over Georgia Southern 7-6. It was the FIRST time this year they won a game when trailing after eight innings.

I started to get emotional when the dogpile began. But I swallowed hard and did my own version of "grinding." We knew a win Sunday would be #36. Tim Perrin (Austin's dad) started crying after the Saturday game. None of these kids have experienced a championship and Austin has been there the longest (he and Schultz are the only two that played for Robe). He said we had to win for 36. He wore a shirt Sunday covered in 36's. (and he's about a 4X) That's alot of 36's. He was still on the verge of tears Sunday morning.

Brad went down to interview Coach Deggs. I got a text from Colleen Robichaux. The last out was at 4:36pm. I got choked up during the break. Thankfully the awards ceremony was next and it gave me a chance to get my act together. Then during the interview, Brad mentioned the text (he got it too) and he and Coach Deggs both broke down in tears. We took a break and I was finally ok. Or so I thought.

During the close I mentioned our next broadcast would be in the NCAA regionals and my voice broke. That has NEVER happened during a game broadcast. Brad was back upstairs by that time. I finished up (barely) and signed off. I got up and hugged him.

And proceeded to ugly cry. I mean body racking, loud, sobbing, ugly cry.

I cried because I missed Robe. But I felt his spirit in Montgomery.

I cried because Tim and Lisa Perrin, Brandon and Donna Talley, Dustin and Kelly Brandon, Karen and Joe Kimple, Rob and Jennifer Schultz, Sandy and Mark Wilson and Danny and Vivian Brock (and their sons) were going to have another week of Ragin' Cajuns baseball. (I've gotten to know Danny and Vivian well. I think they're the only parents ever to have me as a guest in their home. They made most road trips and were in for every home weekend this year. Vivian is first generation Colombian and they are just outstanding, loving people. Julian is draft eligible and this could be it for them). These parents have made a bunch of trips over the years (even the Kimples, who have been around the last three weeks and will be in College Station.which is quite a ways away from Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin.) Those relationships have been special to me. I'm so happy for them. (And, Brian Robertson, too, who gave me a bottle of Blanton's to celebrate after the game. TR is probably gone to the draft. Brian didn't make a lot of trips, but I knew he was a great guy before he gave me that gift.)

And I cried because all of you now understand there's more than one way to coach baseball. That's not a knock on you. If you're under age 40, Robe is pretty much all you knew. And, over the last two years, you've gotten on Matt pretty good because he didn't do things the way Robe did them. That was unfair, but I get it. I was so happy for Coach Deggs. I love that man.

Matt Deggs won a championship HIS way with HIS system and HIS players.

If it comes to an end this weekend, so be it.

I'm just so freaking happy right now.
    Did someone just cut the onions?

Good post, Jay

5. Default Re: Saturday and Sunday in Montgomery

Wow, a lot of firsts and from the heart.

Sunday was pretty damn special! Hopefully we have enough magic to keep this going.

I'm reading this at work and have to get myself together now before the rest of the team shows up. Well said Jay.

You had me weepy on the air Jay (as of course did Brad and Coach Deggs) and you did it again with this post. I am not going to say I was thinking about Robe at the end of the game but after the broadcast he was all I was thinking about. Not true. I was also thinking about how happy I was for coach Deggs. The man has come in and done it his way while consistently recognizing Coach Robe on life and the chances he got from Coach Robe.
    I don’t think our fan base fully appreciates the fact that we have been blessed with back to back great men. Not to mention great coaches.
    And let me add a great broadcaster who is not only great at what he does but is clearly invested in being a Cajun fan. Thanks Jay

Jay, thanks for taking us to the ball park.

Thanks, Jay.

I’m one who likes Deggs’s aggressive base running style. Sure, it was irritating getting picked off at 1st as many times as it happened, especially seeming to be more towards the beginning of the season.

But our guys learned and adjusted. I enjoy watching an offense who continues to try to put pressure on a defense and manufacture runs.

Also, this team was down 5-0 and did not quit. This is a team who believes in their head coach, no matter what locker room “issues” people want to “report” on message boards. The second half of season resurgence and Saturday and Sunday proved that, at least in this fan’s non-expert opinion.

Good stuff Jay. Any chance the post game interview will be available for listen?

12. Default Re: Saturday and Sunday in Montgomery

Not much that I could possibly add to this, Jay. But man. Am I glad to be able to say I was in Montgomery on Sunday And it will always be one of the most special moments of Cajuns baseball, no matter what happens for the program in the years to come. I told my wife going into the bottom of the 9th no matter how this game ends, there are about to be a lot of tears.

Also enjoyed sitting behind home plate and being able to listen to the post-game while also watching it. Man special stuff.

Good stuff.

We had some friends over on Sunday that showed up right in the 8th inning. I had been on my feet since the 2nd inning and pacing around the house. I didn't react when GSouthern scored to take the lead. I started to get excited when we took the lead and really let out my first yell when we got the first strike out in the 9th. Then the final out.

Our visitors made fun of me a little bit for celebrating (they are all alum, but love to poke fun at me for how excited I get,) but my wife understood it. This was such a treat and an achievement for this team. After the last out, the baseball game stuff was done and this Championship was about so many more things.

Great post, Jay.

After the dogpile, Coach Robe was the first person that came to mind. We have seen this type of effort from his teams in the past to grind after being down and coming out on top in the end. But the credit on Sunday for this particular effort goes to Coach Deggs. He has built a mental toughness in this team that we have not seen in quite a long time. Even after being down 5-0 to a Top 25 team looking to host a regional, they still found a way to slowly fight back and win it all. Average teams don't do that. And even though I'll sometimes scratch my head at some of the coaching decisions, it was obviously good enough to put us in a regional. And for that, kudos to Matt Deggs and this team for finding a way to go through the best of our conference and have the opportunity to play baseball in June.

My first thought after Schultz's performance was thinking back to watching Oz vs that loaded Rice team in person in Austin. All time gutsy performances

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information