Thread: Here's my issue with the tournament format.

Default Here's my issue with the tournament format.

I don't want it to sound like I was defending the leaguebut some of the criticism didn't make any sense (well, the SEC is getting their's in.that is irrelevant.)

Here's my problem.

When it got down to nut cutting time, the league basically lets the coaches make the decision.

Now, if there's anything that I've learned in my 30 years of doing this, it's that all coaches have an agenda and will do anything they can to gain an advantage.

Calvi at South was a big proponent of single elimination. Mainly because his pitching staff was decimated by injuries. Georgia Southern is in a possible host position. Texas State's pitching is thin. Ditto ULM and Troy (Gainous has been hurt).

You get my message?

Coastal (who has a veteran coach and understands what a tournament is supposed to be) joined Deggs in fighting for a double elimination, or at least two bracket pool play.

And, it was voted accordingly.

The distinct lack of leadership by the league is very disheartening. Someone needed to say, OK, guys, we looked at all the scenarios and here's what we are going to do. And, be willing to take the criticism. Instead they punted to the coaches.

Very bad.

Default Re: Here's my issue with the tournament format.

Wish we had a hard working commissioner as opposed to a lazy clueless one. His check is one dollar too much

I was surprised the first time I heard the coaches were meeting. A huge part of the conference's front office responsibility is to put on championships. A lack of contingency planning should not be acceptable. Especially after covid. There should be a plan in place for every conference championship for contingency purposes. For the baseball tournament a plan should have already been in place that was distributed to everyone outlining the options if circumstances made days unplayable. It does take some work but as the saying goes failing to plan is planning to fail.

And coaches should not be involved in that decision process at the last minute. Get there input before the season starts when making contingency plans.

4. Default Re: Here's my issue with the tournament format.

The SBC leadership has no idea how to put on an event or manage championship level competition.

They’ve proven that time and time again.

5. Default Re: Here's my issue with the tournament format.

If ncaa football says four is all you need, why does anyone else ever need more than that?

Quote Originally Posted by RougaWhite&Blue View Post
    If ncaa football says four is all you need, why does anyone else ever need more than that?
    Because they are wrong.

7. Default Re: Here's my issue with the tournament format.

Quote Originally Posted by RougaWhite&Blue View Post
    Because the NCAA has nothing to do with football postseason.

8. Default Re: Here's my issue with the tournament format.

Quote Originally Posted by lcitsh View Post
    Because they are wrong.
    Wowzer, good to hear. I wonder what else the EsecPN narrative might be wrong about…

9. Default Re: Here's my issue with the tournament format.

At least we are Louisiana

Thread Information