Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Message Board's Effect on Players. Positive or Negative?

Default Re: Message Board's Effect on Players. Positive or Negative?

If you wouldn't say it to a player or coach in face to face conversation, you shouldn't say it on a message board or social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hemphill View Post
    I guess it depends on what your definition of criticism is. During my daughter's freshman year, she had a play in which she hit a homerun against Ole Miss and then supposedly missed home plate. The umpire handed a new ball to the catcher and she was tagged out. I won't go into all of the mistakes made on the umpire's part for doing that, but the run was taken off of the board and instead of the game being tied, Bama was still down by one. The ensuing onslaught of social media posts made about the play and about my daughter was brutal. She had to delete her twitter account because she was getting so many DM's with people just saying the most vile and reprehensible things to her for that single play. People were making posts about her looks, body size, and other things that had nothing to do with the play in any manner whatsoever. It was at that point I realized just how stupid, cruel and wicked some people could be and how they revel in the miscues and misfortune of others. The posts on Robocoach were just as brutal.
    That's uncalled for I'm speaking strictly on play. Like a guy jumps offside on a hard count and gets some flack for it.

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    If you wouldn't say it to a player or coach in face to face conversation, you shouldn't say it on a message board or social media.
    That's a good policy

Well said

Criticizing is one thing. Attacking a person personally is another thing. And stating the truth is what some people have issues with

LL soaked in all the negative posts this past season from the RPCA, it was reflected in his outstanding play. Dude used it as rocket fuel...

1. More people have played the game past little league than some here think.
    2. Additionally, you don't have to have played at a high level to know the game.
    3. I can watch the stat tracker if that's all that's going to be discussed in the game thread.
    4. Paying customers are allowed to have opinions and discuss amongst themselves (including on a message board) as long as it remains respectful.

8. Default Re: Message Board's Effect on Players. Positive or Negative?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    4. Paying customers are allowed to have opinions and discuss amongst themselves (including on a message board) as long as it remains respectful.
    There we go. The issue is that most of it is not respectful.

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    Criticizing is one thing. Attacking a person personally is another thing. And stating the truth is what some people have issues with
    This. It's one thing to observe someone's gameplay and go "I can't believe he missed all of those free throws" as opposed to cursing the player's family. Fans will always have opinions. It's just a matter of not stepping out of line.

10. Default Re: Message Board's Effect on Players. Positive or Negative?

You nailed it!!!

11. Default Re: Message Board's Effect on Players. Positive or Negative?

This may be the best post ever!!!

^^^This^^^

1. More people have played the game past little league than some here think.
    2. Additionally, you don't have to have played at a high level to know the game.
    3. I can watch the stat tracker if that's all that's going to be discussed in the game thread.
    I know a few posters on this page that have never played sports period and I would put up their knowledge of baseball and softball against anyone on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    I know a few posters on this page that have never played period and I would put up their knowledge of baseball and softball against anyone on this board.
    There's also been several instances of professional athletes not knowing the rules of the game they play...

There's also been several instances of professional athletes not knowing the rules of the game they play...
    I agree.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information