Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 22 SB Recap & 23 Fall Outlook

1. Default Re: 22 SB Recap & 23 Fall Outlook

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    Agree. I’d guess that 95% of the population of the Acadiana area cant name a single player on the UL softball team. And that it’s similar in most college towns/cities across the country.

I doubt there are many people willing to fork over any significant money to use one of the players in an ad campaign.
    Let face it, there are more and more schools and their boosters who have made a commitment to be more competitive is softball. Clemson of recent.

If any one of those believes that what they need for next year is one of our players as a missing piece to make it to the WCWS, she will get offered some NIL incentive and could end up on one of those teams. I understand it has not happened much as of this year, but NIL is new and trust me there are big time softball supporters at big time schools who will eventually chase our specially talented girls if they are good enough and wanted or needed at those schools to compete for a WCWS championship.

To believe otherwise is just naive.

Default Re: 22 SB Recap & 23 Fall Outlook

Agree. I’d guess that 95% of the population of the Acadiana area cant name a single player on the UL softball team. And that it’s similar in most college towns/cities across the country.

I doubt there are many people willing to fork over any significant money to use one of the players in an ad campaign.
    Define significant money? Some football NIL deals on social media that I've read about are several hundred dollars monthly. Of course those aren't cable or radio advertisements, and certainly not nationally recognized athletes in major programs.

I have no knowledge of what an NIL deal with a highly recognizable college softball player would be worth. But does the demographics, people actually following them on social media like other softball athletes, coaches, and family actually meet the target audience? I have no ideal until we get one here at UL.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Define significant money? Some football NIL deals on social media that I've read about are several hundred dollars monthly. Of course those aren't cable or radio advertisements, and certainly not nationally recognized athletes in major programs.

I have no knowledge of what an NIL deal with a highly recognizable college softball player would be worth. But does the demographics, people actually following them on social media like other softball athletes, coaches, and family actually meet the target audience? I have no ideal until we get one here at UL.
    We’re on the same page. I just have a hard time imagining anyone parting with thousands of dollars for a NIL deal with a softball player. And to be honest, a baseball player either.

Like you, I don’t know what those would be worth. And if I’m being honest, I hope we don’t find out

Quote Originally Posted by Policarp View Post
    Totally agree......We definitely have OKC potential. Lack of power from all but 1 returning in outfield is the biggest gap for 23 IMO

Transfer portal big 3.
    A) Power hitting LF/RF
    B) stud defensive catcher
    C) Elite level pitcher

Also an option is transition 1 or 2 of the quicker power hitters from the IF into LF/RF in the fall. Surplus of power talent is in the IF
    Campbell will be a good candidate for RF next year.

6. Default Re: 22 SB Recap & 23 Fall Outlook

Any of you really believe Get Gordon parted with $$$$ to Kyren Lacy because of how ell known that player’s name may be?

No, he parted with the $$$$ to show Tigah fans and supporters he was willing to pay to support an improvement on the Tigah team.

Don’t be surprised in the next few years that hardcore supporters of softball programs across the country don’t start coming up with meaningful NIL $$$$. They will put money together to buy a piece here or there to make it to the WCWS.

We’re on the same page. I just have a hard time imagining anyone parting with thousands of dollars for a NIL deal with a softball player. And to be honest, a baseball player either.

Like you, I don’t know what those would be worth. And if I’m being honest, I hope we don’t find out
    On of my Sons JUCO baseball teammates got a 10k nil deal on top of his scholarship to attend a AAC school.

It is happening in baseball

Quote Originally Posted by HOUCajun View Post
    On of my Sons JUCO baseball teammates got a 10k nil deal on top of his scholarship to attend a AAC school.

It is happening in baseball
    I would imagine that his $10K NIL deal will help cover the cost of out of state tuition unless the program is fully funding baseball scholarships. I doubt that at this point, but nothing would surprise me any longer.

9. Default Re: 22 SB Recap & 23 Fall Outlook

2 Alabama regular players have announced their addition to the the transfer portal this morning.

Jenna Lord and Abby Doerr

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    2 Alabama regular players have announced their addition to the the transfer portal this morning.

Jenna Lord and Abby Doerr
    Read that last night. The catcher is not someone I would save roster position for in this program. The other is a good bat.

11. Default Re: 22 SB Recap & 23 Fall Outlook

Read that last night. The catcher is not someone I would save roster position for in this program. The other is a good bat.
    Yes, Lord is a true Freshman who batted .289 this season. Doerr is a Redshirt Junior with 2 years to play, she only batted .227 and they have their leading hitter Ally Shipmann who is their regular catcher returning for her Super Senior season. Doerr would be a backup catcher/ DH at best for them next year.

We need a defensive catcher first. Glasco can get them to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by cajungmg View Post
    We need a defensive catcher first. Glasco can get them to hit.
    People forget, Lexie Comeaux played catcher an entire year with a bad shoulder. Pisko has done a great job of framing pitches this season and gets very little credit on this board. She has been part of the improvement in pitching and working with Coach Robichaux. She's perfectly capable of sharing the catching load with the incoming freshman signed.

If Coach Glasco takes a transfer at catcher, then I won't lose any sleep over it. But Pisko wasn't the problem for the Cajuns in the regional, we didn't have a arm to match Thompson.

People forget, Lexie Comeaux played catcher an entire year with a bad shoulder. Pisko has done a great job of framing pitches this season and gets very little credit on this board. She has been part of the improvement in pitching and working with Coach Robichaux. She's perfectly cable of sharing the catching load with the incoming freshman signed.

If Coach Glasco takes a transfer at catcher, then I won't lose any sleep over it. But Pisko wasn't the problem for the Cajuns in the regional, we didn't have a arm to match Thompson.
    I think if the Cajuns get another catcher via the portal or incoming route, Sophie will still catch some. In a best case situation you really don't want one person shouldering the majority of the innings behind the dish.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    I think if the Cajuns get another catcher via the portal or incoming route, Sophie will still catch some. In a best case situation you really don't want one person shouldering the majority of the innings behind the dish.
    Agree with this, the season is too long for one catcher playing the majority of the season. We've seen it before.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information