Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Thread: Sold Out: Clemson Softball Regional.

Default Re: Sold Out: Clemson Softball Regional.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    There are no Power 5 opponents in Softball, but if you think there are, it probably doesn't matter.
    I don’t believe there are. I was just using that term to refer to schools with the big time funding

2. Default Re: Sold Out: Clemson Softball Regional.

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
    So UL isn’t in a mid major conference and they didn’t play any teams this year from any P5 conferences. Gotcha.
    "Power 5" is a football term, and football only. To answer your question, if I recall Louisiana played a P5 in Texas to open the season. I don't know what that has to do with softball though

"Mid Major" is a basketball term that was first used to demoralize national powers in basketball, and the unwary applied it to some other sports.

Louisiana has never played a P5 in Softball. If they ever do it will be an exhibition and those football players will look like fools vs Louisiana Softball.

"Power 5" is a football term, and football only. To answer your question, if I recall Louisiana played a P5 in Texas to open the season. I don't know what that has to do with softball though

"Mid Major" is a basketball term that was first used to demoralize national powers in basketball, and the unwary applied it to some other sports.

Louisiana has never played a P5 in Softball. If they ever do it will be an exhibition and those football players will look like fools vs Louisiana Softball.
    I get what you’re saying, but your last statement is inaccurate.

4. Default Re: Sold Out: Clemson Softball Regional.

I’m curious then. Why are all softball players, who play in a P5 conference, athletic scholarships guaranteed for all 4 years and players, who play in G5 conferences like UL, aren’t? If there’s no such thing as P5 conferences in softball, why do they make that distinction like that?

5. Default Re: Sold Out: Clemson Softball Regional.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hemphill View Post
    I’m curious then. Why are all softball players, who play in a P5 conference, athletic scholarships guaranteed for all 4 years and players, who play in G5 conferences like UL, aren’t? If there’s no such thing as P5 conferences in softball, why do they make that distinction like that?
    P5 has 100% to do with the breakdown of who will play in the college football playoffs.

It is documented and on paper.

There are no P5 references or stipulations for post season play in Softball except from football fans who traverse sports in the off-season.

A softball team, whose football team plays in football only P5 conference is not a P5.

6. Default Re: Sold Out: Clemson Softball Regional.

The scholarship distinction you mention are not an NCAA distinction, do you have a reference link I can read?

7. Default Re: Sold Out: Clemson Softball Regional.

The scholarship distinction you mention are not an NCAA distinction, do you have a reference link I can read?
    https://informedathlete.com/the-fact...-scholarships/

8. Default Re: Sold Out: Clemson Softball Regional.

Outside of football and basketball I don't see how this applied to the other sports since they have been limited on giving out full scholarships due to the low number of scholarships allowed.

This will probably change with the proposed adjustments.

9. Default Re: Sold Out: Clemson Softball Regional.

Outside of football and basketball I don't see how this applied to the other sports since they have been limited on giving out full scholarships due to the low number of scholarships allowed.

This will probably change with the proposed adjustments.
    This rule never applied to head count sports such as football and basketball. In female sports, head count sports are WBB, Volleyball, Tennis and Gymnastics. Every scholarships for those sports is a full ride. Softball is an equivalency sport. Your scholarship in equivalency sports could be just books to a full ride. There was a term called “yo-yoing” back in the day where coaches could change the scholarship amounts in the equivalency sports yearly. You might have a great year and they increase you to 80%. You fall off the next year, they drop your scholarship down to 40%. You would get yo-yo’ed. With the increase in football revenues, the P5 conferences got together and agreed that the equivalency sports scholarships would be guaranteed for a 4 year period and the original amount that you signed for could never be lowered no matter how bad you performed. Your scholarship amount could be increased if the coaches wanted to do that. Believe what you want but this rule isn’t going to change unless there is a total financial collapse in schools athletic budgets. Most G5 schools haven’t adopted this model because they don’t have the revenue to cover it. While my experience is on the female side, I believe this also applies to male equivalency sports like baseball, tennis, etc.

The whole P5/G5 never made sense to me in diamond sports. Basketball either, really. I get it in football.

It seems so arbitrary. We’re better than all you because of conference affiliation and money. How many P5 teams are dominate across all sports?

Costal won a natty. Is Villanova a mid major?

UL is far from a G5 in softball. Haven’t been for 30 years. Just ask the “P5.”

McNeese beat Notre Dame. Twice.

12. Default Re: Sold Out: Clemson Softball Regional.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    The whole P5/G5 never made sense to me in diamond sports. Basketball either, really. I get it in football.

It seems so arbitrary. We’re better than all you because of conference affiliation and money. How many P5 teams are dominate across all sports?

Costal won a natty. Is Villanova a mid major?

UL is far from a G5 in softball. Haven’t been for 30 years. Just ask the “P5.”
    Does UL guarantee its equivalency sport scholarships for 4 years and prohibit reduction in grant-in-aide amounts? The answer is no. Stay on point with the conversation at hand and quit trying to turn it into a Cajuns vs. the P5 thing.

Does UL guarantee its equivalency sport scholarships for 4 years and prohibit reduction in grant-in-aide amounts? The answer is no. Stay on point with the conversation at hand and quit trying to turn it into a Cajuns vs. the P5 thing.
    Wasn’t this a thread about the Clemson regional being sold out? So while we’re on the conversation at hand, park looked pretty empty this afternoon

Sure, UL softball is in a mid major conference.

I’m sure Auburn’s scholarship athletes are content starting summer a day early.

I’m not digging back to see what point you made, but why not the Cajuns vs. the P5? Cause they lost tonight.

Louisiana-doing more with less since 1898.

14. Default Re: Sold Out: Clemson Softball Regional.

Irrelevant

The fact that certain sports in P5 financed conferences have experienced trickle down economics does not in any way make those sports a P5 conference.

There is no P5 softball conference.

There are softball playing schools whose football team plays in a P5 (football) conference that have willfully adopted extra financial responsibilities due to trickle down cash flow.

There are no P5 sports outside of football.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Thread Information