Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: BB G3: Louisiana 9, TX St 11

Default Re: BB G3: Louisiana 9, TX St 11

TX State has offensive stats near, or at the top of the Sun Belt and mostly in the top 20% nationally.

Their team ERA and WHIP are in our neighborhood, 42nd and 39th respectively.

Oh, they rank 18th in the nation in runs scored. We rank 153rd in runs scored

They pitch and score runs. That is how you sweep.

We are better than the last few seasons. We have work yet to do.

Are there any more Roccafortes in SE Texas getting ready to graduate high school?

https://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/rank...sport_code=MBA

Our pitching got exposed for what it is this weekend. 3 solid arms that wouldn’t be starters for many non P5 teams vying for an at large. I can accept that and move on. What scares me is the future. I mean we’re “rebuilding” but with who? We already had to scrape together these 3 with trial and error and pull them from their regular roles. They aren’t top notch level weekend arms. They’re all seniors, so it’s not like they are gonna become that for future seasons. I’ve seen little from the other pitchers on staff that would scream future weekend starters.

This is Mr. Doom and Gloom signing off for the night.

3. Louisiana Re: BB G3: Louisiana vs Texas St

Doesn’t help when we gotta throw Johnny wholestaff every damn game. Need some serious pin work in the off-season

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    Our pitching got exposed for what it is this weekend. 3 solid arms that wouldn’t be starters for many non P5 teams vying for an at large. I can accept that and move on. What scares me is the future. I mean we’re “rebuilding” but with who? We already had to scrape together these 3 with trial and error and pull them from their regular roles. They aren’t top notch level weekend arms. They’re all seniors, so it’s not like they are gonna become that for future seasons. I’ve seen little from the other pitchers on staff that would scream future weekend starters.

I told my text group today that every position player that isn’t a senior needs to stay AND the Cajuns need to have an amazing PITCHING recruiting class and transfer group to be where we all want them to be.

The offense, if everyone that can stay, stays…should be really good. But man, like you said, who on the current staff looks like they will be what the team needs them to be next season? Bonds maybe, Thuet maybe, Hammond in the pen?

It’ll be interesting to see what this staff is able to bring in

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    I told my text group today that every position player that isn’t a senior needs to stay AND the Cajuns need to have an amazing PITCHING recruiting class and transfer group to be where we all want them to be.

The offense, if everyone that can stay, stays…should be really good. But man, like you said, who on the current staff looks like they will be what the team needs them to be next season? Bonds maybe, Thuet maybe, Hammond in the pen?

It’ll be interesting to see what this staff is able to bring in
    Brock is probably the top draft guy. He is really good.

6. Default Re: BB G3: Louisiana 9, TX St 11

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    Brock is probably the top draft guy. He is really good.
    Our top 60 draft pick quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Caviar View Post
    Our top 60 draft pick quit.
    If he hadnt quit when he did, i wasnt expecting him to return anyway for next year. In fact ill be surprised if we dont have 4-5 not return next year that are not seniors. Idk if there is a starting pitcher for next year on our current roster

8. Default Re: BB G3: Louisiana 9, TX St 11

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    If he hadnt quit when he did, i wasnt expecting him to return anyway for next year. In fact ill be surprised if we dont have 4-5 not return next year that are not seniors. Idk if there is a starting pitcher for next year on our current roster
    I think coming into this year, they really expect Shifflet, Ray and Durke to be their weekend rotation. Didn’t pan out. That happens.

But Carter Robinson could have been a big help to this staff. A healthy Blake Marshall and Austin Perrin make this staff look totally different. I’ve been critical of the coaches for how they manage the staff. But I see how they were trying to build it.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post

This is exactly right and spot on. The guys we have are doing all they can, but none of them would be weekend starters on a normal Cajun staff. A really scary thought to think what will be left in the pantry after this year.

If we could push ego aside, our coach needs to hire a real pitching guy. If we could stop managing the staff like a video game, it would help in creating more consistency and understanding of their individual roles-which would probably give the staff more confidence across the board.

A HUGE part of what is missing from staffs in the past is the mental/classroom instruction that was a vital part of Robe's pitching system. It is an unseen skill for the average viewer, but such a huge part of our success in the past. Not saying it's got to be a Robe disciple, but I'd bet the current pitchers aren't getting much of that currently.

That is a separator that put us over and above the competition and it's something that we need desperately for our teams going forward.

Robe was really good at acquiring good, driven pitchers and putting them in a culture of other good, driven pitchers, where the older guys got younger guys up to speed, refining grips and deliveries in the bullpen. It was a "sum is greater than the parts" thing. That culture took years to create...and Robe is not here.

John Szecf is in his 5th year at VA Tech and taken them from outhouse to penthouse and did the same at Maryland. VA Tech RPI went from 146 in 2018, to 68, 57, 66 and now 7 today. Next year is Deggs' 4th season. Our RPI is following a similar pattern.

TXst better win a regional, if not, it was all for nothing.

12. Default Re: BB G3: Louisiana 9, TX St 11

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunologist View Post
    TXst better win a regional, if not, it was all for nothing.
    What is “it”

Tx State coach is in his 3rd season as well if im not mistaken.

Little different situation. He took over a 36-20 team that ended the year at 52 in the RPI. And the current 2, 4, and 5 hole hitters were 20 year old sophomores on that team.

And those three 23 year old, 5th year seniors combined to go 14-36 (.389) this weekend with 5 HRs.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I think coming into this year, they really expect Shifflet, Ray and Durke to be their weekend rotation. Didn’t pan out. That happens.

But Carter Robinson could have been a big help to this staff. A healthy Blake Marshall and Austin Perrin make this staff look totally different. I’ve been critical of the coaches for how they manage the staff. But I see how they were trying to build it.
    No disrespect but Carter Robinson is not the answer either. He hasnt really done much this season at Tulane. Hes got a 7.04 ERA in 15 or 16 appearances. If you go back and look at the guys that left the program after last season you will see that not many of them have done any better than they did here and some against lesser competition. Fitz had a comparable season to last year. I know Deggs is all about speed, strength, and competitiveness….but if we want to bring in those kind of offensive guys that are a little raw skill wise, we better be able to pitch the heck out of it to cover some things up until those guys figure it out. Its going to be very interesting to see how it all shakes out the rest of the way. I have no clue what the roster will look like after the season and into the summer, but i do know if we do not upgrade our talent greatly, we will be left behind again in our own conference.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information