Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2022 SB postseason assignment

Default Re: 2022 SB postseason assignment

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    In a 4 team tournament, 2 plays 3 plays winner of 1vs 4, what does it matter if we're a 2 or a 3 seed, we're still playing winner of 1 vs 4...or, heaven forbid, loser of 1vs4....
    It doesn't matter once your placed in a regional, but it does definitely does matter on where you're sent, and who you're matched up against initially and in a subsequent super regional. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    In a 4 team tournament, 2 plays 3 plays winner of 1vs 4, what does it matter if we're a 2 or a 3 seed, we're still playing winner of 1 vs 4...or, heaven forbid, loser of 1vs4....
    If you go back, there are easier 3 seeds in some regionals. Sometimes. Last year we got the winners of the A-10, George Washington as a 3 seed in baton rouge. They had a good record, but it was their first NCAA appearance. They went 2 and out, also. I think anyone would take a George Washington over an SEC team. We matched with McNeese as a 3 in 2017.

Then on the other hand, look at what we got to host in Lafayette in 2016. We got both Texas A and M and Texas as a 2 and 3. Both ranked in the top 25 at the end of the season. Both could have easily been 2 seeds elsewhere.

I think it matters. Sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    If memory serves me correctly, Jordan was struggling and ML refused to pull her. Hamilton comes in and tosses a couple to an infielder, I think while there was a discussion between coaches and umps and those 2 tosses were called balls to go along with the 2-0 count. I was fit to be tied watching this transpire.
    I was in a fetal position in the hall of the office begging Lotief to pull Jordan.

And then hit the roof with a steady stream of expletives after the throws were called balls.

Good thing it was Friday afternoon and there were very few people in the office.

Quote Originally Posted by ragin50 View Post
    But still disrepected by the SEC controlled NCAA softball committee. Louisiana should have been a 2 seed.
    I know a #2 seed looks better than a #3 seed on paper, but is there really any difference? As far as the regional works, if the #2 or #3 seed wins, they get the #1 seed (probably) in the next game and the looser gets the #4 seed (probably) in the next game in the looser's bracket. Loose game #1 and it becomes a difficult bracket having to win five games in a row to advance!

5. Default Re: 2022 SB postseason assignment

Once you are in the regional it matters not at all.

But and however... where you are seeded can affect which regional you are sent to.

It also affects who you face once you get out of the regional.

Sometimes being a 2 can burn you.

I like Louisiana's chances here.

Any word on how Glasco is feeling? Has he fought off the Covid?

7. Default Re: 2022 SB postseason assignment

Question? What was Texas States RPI and why did they not get selected?

8. Default Re: 2022 SB postseason assignment

Texas State finished the season at 51 in the RPI, I would assume they would have been one of the last 4/5 out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lafitte the Pirate View Post
    Question? What was Texas States RPI and why did they not get selected?
    TxSt was at 51. The lowest RPI for a non-power 5 school that got in at large was South Florida at 39.

The lowest RPI for a power 5 school with an at large was Arizona at 43.

The only non-power 5 schools having an RPI of better than 43 which did not get in were Charlotte at 33, WKU at 41 and Boise at 42.

Going strictly by RPI, TxSt would be behind those 3, along with Louisville, Utah, and S. Carolina.

Charlotte was an anomaly. They were good early and played about 20 games vs top 50 RPI, but cratered in conference, finishing 7th in CUSA and going 2 and out in the conference tournament.

WKU or Boise probably should have been in over Arizona, but really SOS gave Arizona a better resume than those two.

My best guess going forward is that any non-p 5 will need an RPI of 40 or better, along with finishing in the top 2 or 3 in conference, making a deep run in their conference tournament and having a decent record OOC against top 50 teams, to have any hope of an at large.

In fairness to the Committee; this year, they snubbed some p-5 schools that they could have probably included without looking too bad, and only WKU and Boise really have a legitimate gripe about not being included.

Actually being the 3rd seed in an evenly matched up game may be a slight advantage if you get the win. If we are visitors in game 1 and win, and Clemson is home in their first game and win, we would be the home game against them in the winners bracket game. I see that as a slight advantage.

11. Default Re: 2022 SB postseason assignment

Don't give up on UNC-W giving Clemson a run, I don't think they win, but they could make it close. This is a team with a .271 batting average, but more impressive is there pitching staff which has a Team ERA of 1.73. They have 2 pitchers that have gobbled up most of their innings in Emily Winstead with a 1.66 ERA in 135 innings and Kara Hammock with 2.05 ERA in 95.2 innings. They also have Amberlyn Pearce with a 1.58 ERA in 40 innings and Janel Gamache with 1.48 ERA in 28.1 innings. They also like to run, they have 110 stolen bases in 128 attempts. To put that in perspective, the Cajuns who love to run have 133 stolen bases in 160 attempts. I think Clemson wins, but I am just saying this is not a gimme. Surprisingly enough UNC-W did not play much of a schedule this year even considering where they are located in some pretty good softball country. They did play UNC, ECU and NC State out of conference (each once) but none of which had great seasons this year and of course JMU in conference was way down this year. They did take 3 out of 4 from the best team in their conference in Delaware this year, Delaware had an RPI of 80.

If we went to divisions next year, and played 3 games against those in our division and two with each team [or 3 against 4 teams] cross-division, that would help us, as the West will have 5 of the 7 best teams in the conference, all of which should be in the 25-75 RPI range. Then we have to win some of those early p 5 games rather than losing 4 of 4 to Bama and LSU.

If we do those things and win the conference regular season, we would be in the hunt to host a regional if we won our tournament, and a lock for an at-large if we don't.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Don't give up on UNC-W giving Clemson a run, I don't think they win, but they could make it close. This is a team with a .271 batting average, but more impressive is there pitching staff which has a Team ERA of 1.73. They have 2 pitchers that have gobbled up most of their innings in Emily Winstead with a 1.66 ERA in 135 innings and Kara Hammock with 2.05 ERA in 95.2 innings. They also have Amberlyn Pearce with a 1.58 ERA in 40 innings and Janel Gamache with 1.48 ERA in 28.1 innings. They also like to run, they have 110 stolen bases in 128 attempts. To put that in perspective, the Cajuns who love to run have 133 stolen bases in 160 attempts. I think Clemson wins, but I am just saying this is not a gimme. Surprisingly enough UNC-W did not play much of a schedule this year even considering where they are located in some pretty good softball country. They did play UNC, ECU and NC State out of conference (each once) but none of which had great seasons this year and of course JMU in conference was way down this year. They did take 3 out of 4 from the best team in their conference in Delaware this year, Delaware had an RPI of 80.
    This is a good regional. Everyone has enough pitching to win if things go right for them. I like our chances because there are no holes in our batting lineup, though our sometimes shaky defense and our pitchers' tendency to have one bad inning are worrisome.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    This is a good regional. Everyone has enough pitching to win if things go right for them. I like our chances because there are no holes in our batting lineup, though our sometimes shaky defense and our pitchers' tendency to have one bad inning are worrisome.
    Agree. Those "bad innings" have generally fallen to our two L pitchers where pitcher S has been the fixer upper. But S is, IMO, our best starter so not sure how this will play out. The key to bad inning, as we all know, is when to pull the pitcher. Changing pitchers, the way we've done pretty much all year, should keep those bad innings to a bare minimum. I hope!

15. Default Re: 2022 SB postseason assignment

It always matters whether you are a 2 or a 3 seed. If you are a 2, there is only supposed to be one team better than you in the regional. If you are a 3, there are supposed to be 2 teams better than you. While this is all in the eyes of the committee, it does matter.

Anyone who says it doesn’t matter fails to understand the seeding processes for the diamond sports.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information