Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: BB G2: Louisiana 4, UTA 3

1. Default Re: BB G2: Louisiana 4, UTA 3

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    Cajun opponents not doing well this evening . after doing well earlier in the day. RPI dropped from .5608 to .5580 well after the results of the UTA game were in. We need UC Irvine to knock off UCSB this evening. 7-7 in B6th.
    UC Irvine takes down UCSB 11-10 . and Stanford takes care of Cal 8-7.

Brian

Default Re: BB G2: Louisiana 4, UTA 3

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    I have a question for the group of people here that have been critical of the team and coach all season.

Before the season started, if you knew the Cajuns would have a top 10 non-conference schedule, AND be in a conference that has 5 teams in it (other than the Cajuns) that are in the top 70 in the RPI…what would your expectations have been for the team’s overall record (54 games)?
    I would of expected them to be in the thick of things in the conference race just as they are today. And my expectation was a 39-40 win team. Thats what this team is capable of. And if you look at the games we have gifted away…thats about where we should be. The season rarely goes as you draw it up in Feb, in fact it almost never does. But lets go back to earlier in the season and how that played out. The guys that were used on the mound were the best guys coming out the fall, supposively. Where are they today? We havent seen some of those guys in over a month. Not gonna get into calling out players but they have terribly underachieved. Why? The way Deggs managed the first half of the season was inconsistent to say the least…like he was grasping at straws at times. The pressure to succeed began to mount, but to his credit he calmed the waters. Hes got his guys now, roles have been defined, and has them rolling in a more positive direction. You may take some comments as negative and critical, but its what has taken place.

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    I would of expected them to be in the thick of things in the conference race just as they are today. And my expectation was a 39-40 win team. Thats what this team is capable of. And if you look at the games we have gifted away…thats about where we should be. The season rarely goes as you draw it up in Feb, in fact it almost never does. But lets go back to earlier in the season and how that played out. The guys that were used on the mound were the best guys coming out the fall, supposively. Where are they today? We havent seen some of those guys in over a month. Not gonna get into calling out players but they have terribly underachieved. Why? The way Deggs managed the first half of the season was inconsistent to say the least…like he was grasping at straws at times. The pressure to succeed began to mount, but to his credit he calmed the waters. Hes got his guys now, roles have been defined, and has them rolling in a more positive direction. You may take some comments as negative and critical, but its what has taken place.
    Where is Durke?

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Where is Durke?
    Im sure you will see him this week with some midweek games. Not much opportunity the past few weeks with no midweek games and CG’s on the weekends

5. Default Re: BSBL GM2 Louisiana vs UTA

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Another one of Deggs’ moves that makes sense only one way
    In that vein I was wondering why pinch hitting for Hood (2 for 2,both doubles ) when Brandon was ofer. All ended well & am delighted. Lets win out!

6. Default Re: BSBL GM2 Louisiana vs UTA

Quote Originally Posted by Skinnycajun View Post
    In that vein I was wondering why pinch hitting for Hood (2 for 2,both doubles ) when Brandon was ofer. All ended well & am delighted. Lets win out!
    Deggs said that a few on the team were battling dehydration, Hoodie the worst. He cramped up and couldn’t go.

7. Default Re: BSBL GM2 Louisiana vs UTA

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Deggs said that a few on the team were battling dehydration, Hoodie the worst. He cramped up and couldn’t go.
    Thanks, I believe he was 2 for 3

How many teams in the country have the same weekend rotation, bullpen roles, and starting lineup right now that they did the first couple weeks of the season?

9. Default Re: BSBL GM2 Louisiana vs UTA

Quote Originally Posted by Skinnycajun View Post
    Hood was cramping in the dugout. That is why he was pinch hit for

When a coach says Regional team, my mind goes to high 30s-40 wins. Not saying I’m right. That’s just generally around what it takes. High 30s requires perfection the rest of the way. My thinking heading in to conference was our biggest flaws are self inflicted (walks and errors), so I wasn’t convinced that would taper off just because the competition lessened. To the team’s credit, the defensive numbers have been much better in conference and finding the rotation has curtailed some of the free passes. Only a few games off my expected pace. Those few games have been gut wrenchers.

How many teams in the country have the same weekend rotation, bullpen roles, and starting lineup right now that they did the first couple weeks of the season?
    Not many. Hence the reason i said the season rarely goes as you plan it out in Feb. But rarely do those “guys” ever become irrelevant the rest of a season and are non contributors either. Process that however u want, this team should of been better the first half of the season. As a coach, dont come out yelling this is a regional team and lay an egg.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    When a coach says Regional team, my mind goes to high 30s-40 wins. Not saying I’m right. That’s just generally around what it takes. High 30s requires perfection the rest of the way. My thinking heading in to conference was our biggest flaws are self inflicted (walks and errors), so I wasn’t convinced that would taper off just because the competition lessened. To the team’s credit, the defensive numbers have been much better in conference and finding the rotation has curtailed some of the free passes. Only a few games off my expected pace. Those few games have been gut wrenchers.
    Good post.

I think the beginning of the season saw more of the analytical approach with the pitching. Guys who had more velo or more spin rate or whatever. And now its settled into guys who get hitters out.

I also think losing Marusak for so much time hindered the team. It’s a 7 man lineup now that Debarge has been dropped down and been relieved of the pressure of a freshman hitting in prime spots in the order for the first 30 or so games. Since being moved down, he’s hitting over .350. I don’t think its a coincidence.

Back to the point, once Max was back, and Debarge got comfortable, it lengthened the lineup to 7 from 5. And its made an enormous difference.

The team is 21-8 with Max in the starting lineup. And was 6-9 when he was out. The 21-8 pace through the current 44 games would have their record at 32-12 and likely close to an at-large lock at this point.

Hopefully they finish strong and make all of it a moot point. I’ve tried all year to keep things in perspective here, and while I have disagreed with many decisions that Coach Deggs has made (and they are his decisions to make so the only ones that matter), but I think his comment about this being a regional team wasn’t far fetched at all, especially without losing Marusak for 15 games.

I also think that if you moved some games around in the schedule, and played some of the tougher opponents later in the year that the perception of this team would have been very different throughout the season.

Not many. Hence the reason i said the season rarely goes as you plan it out in Feb. But rarely do those “guys” ever become irrelevant the rest of a season and are non contributors either. Process that however u want, this team should of been better the first half of the season. As a coach, dont come out yelling this is a regional team and lay an egg.

Well hopefully next year he says the team is mediocre and will have to win the conference tournament to have any shot at a regional. That would be fun

Well hopefully next year he says the team is mediocre and will have to win the conference tournament to have any shot at a regional. That would be fun
    You very well could be correct. Seems like u in the “mediocre” camp. Embrace the suck

Default Re: BSBL GM2 Louisiana vs UTA

Quote Originally Posted by CajunStros View Post
    The color guy on the ESPN+ broadcast…gotta be from lower Vermillion Parish.
    He’s from Loreauville. Right there by the big blue boat.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information