Thread: Ron Guidry

UL Baseball Ron Guidry

So, in another thread discussing everyones pitching line-ups, it got me thinking about Ron Guidry. Seems nobody really talks about him much. Would seem with such a storied Major League career, he would be discussed and touted more than he is. Can any of you more "seasoned" fans talk about his college career here?

Default Re: RON GUIDRY

Man these thread names can seriously worry me

He played before my time but I've heard stories of his intensity even in the old timers games after retiring. As much as the game has changed since the 90s, the 70s are a world away. I don't know if his "stuff" was as good as the more recent pitchers, but from a competitive standpoint, he's at the top of the list.

Gator was flat out untouchable for a couple of seasons. Going 25-3 pretty much speaks for itself, but his stuff was on another level from late 1977 until the early 80s. His slider was electric, hence his nickname Lightning.

Here is a small sample. Check out the names whiffing: Reggie Jackson, Dave Winfield, Don Baylor, Yaz, among many others:

5. Default Re: RON GUIDRY

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    He played before my time but I've heard stories of his intensity even in the old timers games after retiring. As much as the game has changed since the 90s, the 70s are a world away. I don't know if his "stuff" was as good as the more recent pitchers, but from a competitive standpoint, he's at the top of the list.
    .In recent weeks I have heard some incredible stories about him from a Former Teammate who is coming in town for the Reunion of Guidry’s conference champ team…a tough time getting on RPagin but he will continue to try……but talk about some UL and other great stories!

6. Default Re: RON GUIDRY

"Louisiana Lightning"

"Gator"

What is not the answer to every trivia question at the tigue. Alex.

Thread Information