Thread: Just looking at Numbers

Default Just looking at Numbers

I am one who thinks stats can be misleading, but at the same time, they do give you an idea of where your team stands.

We have twelve league games to go. Here's how UL stands in CONFERENCE GAMES ONLY.

Batting: Avg. 284 (5th), Slug .444 (5th), Doubles 40 (2nd), Home Runs 15 (T6), Stolen Bases 40-48 (1st) Walks 55 (11), Strikeouts 119 (T1 fewest).

Pitching: ERA 3.49 (1st by .51 runs), Runs allowed 66 (1), Hits allowed 149 (2), Earned Runs 62 (1), Walks 64 (3rd fewest) Strikeouts 5 (147)

Defense .982 (T2) Errors 12 (T1),, DP 18 (2) Cajuns have given up four unearned runs, tied for first with South Alabama.

Of the seven full time guys, five are hitting over .300, three have an OPS of over .900

We're hitting the ball better. But the other two categories are where we've improved the most. We are the only team to have three starters with ERA in the Top 16 in the league (Talley 3.1, Schultz 3.7, Wilson 3.8).

We're 12-3 in our last 15 league games and I think the above shows why.

Just keep winning. It's the only thing we have control over.

Default Re: Just looking at Numbers

I liked our lineup configuration this weekend particularly. I believe when you were Craig’s guest last week, he mentioned a statistic along the lines of OBP + SB to replicate extra-base hits (SLG%). While this is a great stat, I couldn’t help but think, “Imagine what our offense would look like if we were really hitting AND still stealing at the same rate.”

I think we all got a glimpse this weekend of what that might look like, and it is dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    I am one who thinks stats can be misleading, but at the same time, they do give you an idea of where your team stands.

We have twelve league games to go. Here's how UL stands in CONFERENCE GAMES ONLY.

Batting: Avg. 284 (5th), Slug .444 (5th), Doubles 40 (2nd), Home Runs 15 (T6), Stolen Bases 40-48 (1st) Walks 55 (11), Strikeouts 119 (T1 fewest).

Pitching: ERA 3.49 (1st by .51 runs), Runs allowed 66 (1), Hits allowed 149 (2), Earned Runs 62 (1), Walks 64 (3rd fewest) Strikeouts 5 (147)

Defense .982 (T2) Errors 12 (T1),, DP 18 (2) Cajuns have given up four unearned runs, tied for first with South Alabama.

Of the seven full time guys, five are hitting over .300, three have an OPS of over .900

We're hitting the ball better. But the other two categories are where we've improved the most. We are the only team to have three starters with ERA in the Top 16 in the league (Talley 3.1, Schultz 3.7, Wilson 3.8).

We're 12-3 in our last 15 league games and I think the above shows why.

Just keep winning. It's the only thing we have control over.
    It's been said before, but our pitching staff has enough arm talent that if they can avoid walking batters, every game should be competitive.

UL Baseball Re: Just looking at Numbers

Thanks, Beef, for listening. I think there are many ways to look at stats. The one we talked about on the Pod was "stolen base plus total bases," which gives you a different look at how your team gets around the bases. We needed to steal bases to help with our lack of hitting early on. Well, now we are very good at stealing bases, plus we are a better hitting ball club. If you add the two categories together, you can see below the variance is much better than our conference opponents.

If you could raise your SLG% by 67 points, I think everyone would be happy. Now, Texas State is hitting the snot out of the ball. They do not need to steal a whole lot of bases.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    Thanks, Beef, for listening. I think there are many ways to look at stats. The one we talked about on the Pod was "stolen base plus total bases," which gives you a different look at how your team gets around the bases. We needed to steal bases to help with our lack of hitting early on. Well, now we are very good at stealing bases, plus we are a better hitting ball club. If you add the two categories together, you can see below the variance is much better than our conference opponents.

If you could raise your SLG% by 67 points, I think everyone would be happy. Now, Texas State is hitting the snot out of the ball. They do not need to steal a whole lot of bases.
    I know ragincajuns.com doesn't track BA w/RISP but it would be nice to combine these two to paint a picture. Getting a runner to 2nd or 3rd with a good batting average with RISP is one thing. Otherwise, it's just stat padding.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    I know ragincajuns.com doesn't track BA w/RISP but it would be nice to combine these two to paint a picture. Getting a runner to 2nd or 3rd with a good batting average with RISP is one thing. Otherwise, it's just stat padding.
    I looked at it last year, and when we stole second after a hit, walk, or HBP, we scored 65% of the time.

I looked at it last year, and when we stole second after a hit, walk, or HBP, we scored 65% of the time.
    Yep, exactly why I'd want to see it. It could be a very telling stat. Either the aggressiveness is really paying off or it's Lebron averaging 30pts a game and still not making the playoffs.

Jay is there a Louisiana live tonight?

Didn’t want to start a new thread just for one question.

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    Jay is there a Louisiana live tonight?

Didn’t want to start a new thread just for one question.
    Next Monday.

Good point. This is where the stolen bases only get you so far. We need those XBH or RISP to drive them in. Hoping for more of what we saw this weekend to finish strong these next 3 weeks

11. Default Re: Just looking at Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by raginbeef View Post
    Good point. This is where the stolen bases only get you so far. We need those XBH or RISP to drive them in. Hoping for more of what we saw this weekend to finish strong these next 3 weeks
    How many LoB in scoring position?

Thread Information