Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: BB: Louisiana 4, LSU 8

UL Baseball BB: Louisiana 4, LSU 8

According to Jacques Doucet, tomorrow’s game will be the final Wally Pontiff Classic game.

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Default Re: Wally Pontiff Classic

I heard this was actually being discussed two years ago. Unfortunate.
    I hope we keep the annual game with Refineryville.

Default Re: Wally Pontiff Classic

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I heard this was actually being discussed two years ago. Unfortunate.
    I hope we keep the annual game with Refineryville.
    Doubt it will be an annual thing. Most schools in state have been on a rotation. At least under Maneri it was like that. Schedules being made few years in advance might take a little while to change that idk. But id love to see a home and home opening weekend with them. Always have said that. It would boost THEIR preconference schedule greatly

Quote Originally Posted by CajunGrad16 View Post
    According to Jacques Doucet, tomorrow’s game will be the final Wally Pontiff Classic game.
    I am sorry to hear that and glad we are going to make it.

You hate to see that event die especially for such a tragic cause. That is something I could not imagine going through as a parent. In an effort to not be a hypocrite, full disclosure here, I thought Wally Pontiff was an arrogant cocky little pr!ck as a player. Make no mistake about it he was 100% responsible for what took place at that BR regional, that eventually lead to Aaron Hill throwing his bat into the Cajun dugout, and the series being put on hiatus for several years. He was the $h!+ stirrer if you will. Even with all of that as a Cajuns fan I mourn his lost and my heart aches for his parents and siblings.

6. Default My Lineup vs. LSU Tonight...

This thread isn't about Deggs or anyone disagreeing with the man. I'm just making this for fun to see if some of you agree with my take. I've been around the game my entire life, but obviously haven't coached at the collegiate level. So take it for what it's worth... just fun analysis.

This would be my lineup for the game tonight... and most nights, if I was the man creating the lineup card.

1. CF Marusak .316 - 2 HR - 13 RBI
    2. 3B Robertson .314 - 2 HR - 16 RBI
    3. LF Hood .275 - 2 HR - 14 RBI
    4. 1B Roccaforte .345 - 7 HR - 40 RBI
    5. DH Kimple .304 - 5 HR - 23 RBI
    6. SS DeBarge .244 - 2 HR - 19 RBI
    7. C Brock .241 - 3 HR - 15 RBI
    8. RF Veillon .226 - 1 HR - 6 RBI
    9. 2B Brandon .214 - 1 HR - 11 RBI

SP: Bo Bonds 2.93 ERA - 30.2 IP - 50 K - .155 B/AVG Against

Some notes:
    1. I feel like Deggs hasn't been protecting Roccaforte enough, he's entirely too easy to intentionally walk. I want to see Kimple batting right behind him every game to provide additional power to deal with if you put Roccaforte on base. Sure, he may have a lot of strikeouts, but he doesn't ground into double plays too often, I like his overall approach at the plate and he's #2 on the team in the RBI department.

2. I'm also not a huge fan of DeBarge batting 3rd. I know he's settled in there for the past few weeks, and it seems like a nice fit with his tools. But, he leads the team in grounding into double plays and only has a .318 OBP. I think Hood slots in nicely in the 3-hole with his combination of consistency and OBP at .362. Let's get more guys on base for Rocco and Kimple to drive in.

3. I love what Brock has been bringing to the table as of late, his consistency at the plate has really come around, keeping him in the 7-hole makes sense. Where I'd like to see some guys stick is Veillon and Brandon. Both those guys seem to get better when playing on an "every night" type of basis. I think Brandon anchoring the lineup in the 9-hole is solid with his hard contact rate taking a few steps up lately and he could set the table nicely for the top of the lineup.

4. Last but not least, it's time to get Bonds back on the bump to start a game. The last time he started on that Friday night a few weeks back, he was downright dominant. We need someone of his caliber and intensity to tackle LSU's hitters.

Anyway, feel free to poke holes or add analysis. I just wanted to put this out into the world, I will be cheering on the Cajuns tonight to go get a win against another in-state foe. F them tigahs.

7. Default Re: My Lineup vs. LSU Tonight...

Love your thinking on this.

My only critique is, I’m not sure I’d use Bonds today with Ga St coming this weekend. We will need to pitch and this staff pitches differently on the road. If it’s a planned 60 pitch outing, maybe..

That being said, if we’re still coaching to make a run at an at-large bid, Bonds might be your only option..

8. Default Re: My Lineup vs. LSU Tonight...

My only critique is, I’m not sure I’d use Bonds today with Ga St coming this weekend. We will need to pitch and this staff pitches differently on the road. If it’s a planned 60 pitch outing, maybe..

That being said, if we’re still coaching to make a run at an at-large bid, Bonds might be your only option..
    Thanks, and yes, that was my only draw-back to starting Bonds. I know we need him for the weekend... but maybe he's first out of the pen on Sunday instead of Fri-Sat, even if just for this week. I'm playing the RPI game and a road win against the current #34 RPI will be a nice bump. Going with the old saying "You play to win the game". No matter the opponent, make a statement and gain confidence going into Ga State series.

Default Re: My Lineup vs. LSU Tonight...

Rawls

As long as we put tge ball in play we can put enough pressure on lsu to force mistakes. I think thats the key offensively. And if we dont allow free baserunners and play solid defense we will give ourselves a chance to win. They are gonna score some runs bc they can hit, we cant give them extra runs. Id throw Andy Gros tonight

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    As long as we put tge ball in play we can put enough pressure on lsu to force mistakes. I think thats the key offensively. And if we dont allow free baserunners and play solid defense we will give ourselves a chance to win. They are gonna score some runs bc they can hit, we cant give them extra runs. Id throw Andy Gros tonight
    Scott Dohmann for me.

I think it’s likely Trey Lafleur will be in the lineup tonight, probably for Veillon in the given lineup here.

And I agree that Debarge should probably be further down. Maybe Rocco 3rd, Kimple (or Hood), then Lafleur to break up the LH hitters, and Hood (or Kimple) in the 6 hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaston Thibodeaux View Post
    You hate to see that event die especially for such a tragic cause. That is something I could not imagine going through as a parent. In an effort to not be a hypocrite, full disclosure here, I thought Wally Pontiff was an arrogant cocky little pr!ck as a player. Make no mistake about it he was 100% responsible for what took place at that BR regional, that eventually lead to Aaron Hill throwing his bat into the Cajun dugout, and the series being put on hiatus for several years. He was the $h!+ stirrer if you will. Even with all of that as a Cajuns fan I mourn his lost and my heart aches for his parents and siblings.
    100% agree with all of this..........

14. Default Re: My Lineup vs. LSU Tonight...

If a right hander throws..
    Cf max
    3b Ty
    Lf Rocco
    1b Lafleur
    Dh Kimble
    SS Debo
    C Brock
    Rf Hood
    2b Brandon/Ricone

15. UL Baseball Re: My Lineup vs. LSU Tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by LA CAJUNS View Post

This would be my lineup for the game tonight... and most nights, if I was the man creating the lineup card.

1. CF Marusak .316 - 2 HR - 13 RBI
    2. 3B Robertson .314 - 2 HR - 16 RBI
    3. LF Hood .275 - 2 HR - 14 RBI
    4. 1B Roccaforte .345 - 7 HR - 40 RBI
    5. DH Kimple .304 - 5 HR - 23 RBI

Some notes:
    1. I feel like Deggs hasn't been protecting Roccaforte enough, he's entirely too easy to intentionally walk. I want to see Kimple batting right behind him every game to provide additional power to deal with if you put Roccaforte on base.
    In the same vein of thought, I would add that I have always been of the mindset that your top hitter always bats in the first inning. I would also have Kimple hitting behind Roccaforte ... just in the #3 hole with Kimple #4. Hood would be #5.

Brian

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information