Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst . 7 8 9 10

Thread: 2022 NFL Draft

Default Re: 2022 NFL Draft

Quote Originally Posted by BrockMeaux View Post
    Perrion Winfrey was drafted 59 picks after Alontae Taylor. So by your metric of where Winfrey was drafted and how far the Saints overreached for Taylor - based on your extensive scouting - they'd be rated roughly in the same ballpark.

Like I said in my last post, Taylor isn't the guy I would've drafted, either. But when our current defensive staff invests a 4th round pick or higher on a player in the secondary, they have an EXTREMELY high success rate. Secondary players drafted in the 4th round or higher while Allen was here, either as the secondary coach, defensive coordinator, or now head coach are:

2007: Usama Young (3rd round, played in 52 games over 4 years for the Saints)
    2008: Tracy Porter (2nd round, played in 43 games over 4 years for the Saints)
    2009: Malcolm Jenkins (1st round, played 199 games over a 13 year career)
    2009: Chip Vaughn (4th round, never played a regular season snap for the Saints)
    2010: Patrick Robinson (1st round, played 123 games over an 11 year career)

Of that group, Chip Vaughn is the only bust. From 2011 through 2014, Allen was first the DC with the Denver Broncos then HC with the Oakland Raiders. In that time, the Saints drafted Johnny Patrick (3rd round, spent 2 years with the Saints), Kenny Vaccaro (1st round, 110 career games), and Stanley Jean-Baptiste (2nd round, appeared in 5 career games over 2 years with the Saints and Ravens, finished with his only recorded stat being 1 solo tackle for Baltimore). Of that group, Kenny Vaccaro was the only good player.

Allen returned in 2015.

The next guys I'm just going to list because we all know. Vonn Bell in 2016, Marshon Lattimore and Marcus Williams in 2017, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson in 2019, Paulson Adebo in 2021, and now Alontae Taylor in 2022. That's 3 Pro Bowlers, future potential Pro Bowlers in Gardner-Johnson and Adebo, and Taylor. Not a bad run.

I can't believe I typed all this at 5am defending a pick I don't even really love, but I said all that to say this: maybe Dennis Allen knows a thing or two about drafting and developing players in the secondary, and certainly more than me, you, and Mel Kiper Jr. and his Big Board. Could this dude be Stanley Jean-Baptiste 2.0? It's possible. But the odds right now are that he's going to develop into a contributor for the team based off of history.
    If you don't like Perrion Winfrey then, you should hate Trevor Penning. Winfrey did on the defensive side of the ball exactly what Penning did on the offensive side to become a first round pick. He completely dominated the interior LOS during Senior Bowl week & won MVP of the game. You can say picking him would have been a reach. But I have a ton of physical evidence that says Perrion Winfrey will be a major force in the NFL as long as he wants to be.

So yes, I don't depend on my team's PR department to spoon feed me BS & then run around like a little clone shouting Goody! Goody! We just got Shawn Knight in the 1st round of the draft. Now we're gonna win it all. I'll leave it up to you guys to figure how the square peg fits perfectly into the round hole. I'm just going to call it like I see it, a poo poo sandwich with lots of mustard & mayo to hide the stinch.

The funniest part of all of this is I'll be reminding you guys of this in three years when Winfrey makes his 2nd, or 3rd All Pro team what I wrote this evening & you will coming up with garbage about some guy I never heard of & trying to say I never said squat about Perry, but I did say Usama Taylor was gonna be a hall of famer one day when the the guy doesn't make the 2nd cut in camp. Any of you who do admit I made the prognosis will then go on to say that he draft is just a crap shoot & no one can ever truly predict how a player will turn out.

3. Default Re: 2022 NFL Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    The funniest part of all of this is I'll be reminding you guys of this in three years when Winfrey makes his 2nd, or 3rd All Pro team what I wrote this evening & you will coming up with garbage about some guy I never heard of & trying to say I never said squat about Perry, but I did say Usama Taylor was gonna be a hall of famer one day when the the guy doesn't make the 2nd cut in camp. Any of you who do admit I made the prognosis will then go on to say that he draft is just a crap shoot & no one can ever truly predict how a player will turn out.
    Ummmmm. Kyle I should remind you of your Nate Stupar comments.

I got the under on 2 all pro teams.

Hell I’ll take under 1 all pro

Aaaaaaaa

Do you ever get tired of being wrong?

Yes the saints gave up a lot to get him but I really think olive is the best healthy receiver in this draft .

I think they gave up a lot more for Davenport then they did olive .

This draft tells me the saints are fully committed to Winston .

And I’m a believer in him .

The saints are going to get a boatload of draft picks back next season when Payton goes to another team .

Probably 2 1st round picks at least .

So they will have draft capital next season .

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    Do you ever get tired of being wrong?
    I read through all this and had instant flashbacks to all those afternoon drives home of listening to Jay Walker and BWK on 1420 and talking at the same time but having totally different conversations.

9. Default Re: 2022 NFL Draft

I read through all this and had instant flashbacks to all those afternoon drives home of listening to Jay Walker and BWK on 1420 and talking at the same time but having totally different conversations.
    How true and how funny.

How in the world did BWK go from being on 1420 to becoming an absolute maniac on a fan page? I didn't even know he did radio with Jay!

11. Default Re: 2022 NFL Draft

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCajun View Post
    How in the world did BWK go from being on 1420 to becoming an absolute maniac on a fan page? I didn't even know he did radio with Jay!
    He didn’t. He was just a frequent bozo caller.

12. Default Re: 2022 NFL Draft

He is an interactive caller and if not for his calls KPEL 14.20 would have shut down years ago.

As polarizing as his takes are they are perfect for radio and cause people to start threads on far flung venues and thus drive traffic to ESPN 14.20

He’d kind of have his idea on each topic and would call in the 1420 shows throughout the day and have the same back and forth with every host. So I’d hear him argue with Stevie P. on the way to class and with Jay on the way home. I know that sounds negative, but I remember the time fondly. In the same way, I remember that “Paul’s” favorite dessert was “mais pumpkin piiieeeee.”

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst . 7 8 9 10

Thread Information