Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Theo Akwuba

1. Default Re: Theo Akwuba

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    You and many others that I have spoken to around town have said the same thing. I still follow the team and watch the games as a fan, but it's hard to get "excited" about the upcoming season.

What's most frustrating is the potential this program has. I just wish people from both the inside and out can see that and quit justifying mediocrity.
    What potential? UL basketball hasn’t been special since Andrew Tony. We’ve had some nice seasons, even a few nice seasons grouped together.

Marlin has simply locked us into perpetual non relevance. He didn’t create the mediocrity. That’s existed for over half a decade.

Victory the glorious past isn’t coming back.

Default Re: Theo Akwuba

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    What potential? UL basketball hasn’t been special since Andrew Tony. We’ve had some nice seasons, even a few nice seasons grouped together.

Marlin has simply locked us into perpetual non relevance. He didn’t create the mediocrity. That’s existed for over half a decade.

The potential to win a NCAA tournament game is not some crazy expectation. I'm not suggesting we become to perennial Top 25 powerhouse. All I am asking is to make the dance more than once every 15 years.

With the resources we have, that isn't too much to ask. But to some, it's treated as this impossible feat.

Means nothing here, just wanted to point out that at the time Im posting this, my phones battery is at 75%.
    That is all.

Appearances since the death penalty starting from 1973...82 and 83 (9 year gap), 92 (9 year gap), 94 (1 year gap), 2000 (6 year gap), 2004 and 05 (4 year gap. BUT both appearances vacated), 2014 (9 year gap). Presently going into year 2023 (9 years if we make it). Statistically, we are due.

CE, looks like a pattern of mediocre play has existed for decades. Paschal (and Hatfield) built the program back. Marty had the responsibility of building it from there...but peaked with two NCAA appearances and crashed from there. Evans bailed when the NCAA came calling. UL screws up the next hire and we ended up with Lee doing just like Richard at ULM did...inherted the grade mess. Marlin stared out nice but lost what little momentum we had.

Now we are in a 14 team conference. Nobody will ever break out as an at large because the lower end baggage of this league. RPIs 250+ hurt, and with basketball being the one sport where home court is the most noticable advantage, the blind squirrel lives on in the one bid conferences. The Blackham days get further and further out the picture.

But we must do better regardless and get the brand out there.

In the meantime, here is reality. Our record speaks for itself to paraphrase Robe. Even with the Evans and Shipley vacated years, we have 10 appearances. Nothing to be excited over.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_D...bids_by_school

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    Means nothing here, just wanted to point out that at the time Im posting this, my phones battery is at 75%.
    That is all.
    Mine is 56.9%

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    That is all.
    I’m at 51% AKA 70+%

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    Mine is 56.9%
    LOL. Y'all too damn much.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    I’m at 51% AKA 70+%
    I think Apple was sued for that

Actually the Graylin Warner/Dion Brown/Alonzo Allen years were pretty special. In 82 and 83 Cajuns were in the NCAA's. In 1984 they were in the semi finals of the NIT. That was a time when that tourney still meant something. There were victories over Georgetown, Washington State, Marquette, Florida, Kansas, and several prominent mid majors during that period. Victories over Tennessee and Auburn also occurred in the following years under Coach Paschal. Great memories for many people when he was there. Ironically, Coach Paschal helped get Jordan Brown here as his Dad, Dion, still respects Coach Paschal's opinion. Bobby thinks more of Coach Marlin than most fans. Presuming Jordan does not go pro, we will see if that faith allows him to have a strong 22-23 season.

Wastin' away again in Bobby Marlin land.

What I enjoyed most back in the 80s were the Sugar Bowl basketball games. UL in a number of them. Great opponents and we won our share. Sad the Sugar B dropped that venue.

12. Default Re: Theo Akwuba

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    Wastin' away again in Bobby Marlin land.
    Marligetta Ville?

Quote Originally Posted by 60swerethebest View Post
    What I enjoyed most back in the 80s were the Sugar Bowl basketball games. UL in a number of them. Great opponents and we won our share. Sad the Sugar B dropped that venue.
    We beat Florida, Kansas, Tennessee, and Michigan State in the Dome during those Sugar Bowl tournament years. Suffered a bad loss to the Pitt Panthers in the finals in one of those years. Coach Paschal should be in our Hall of Fame. That needs to be eventually rectified.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    We beat Florida, Kansas, Tennessee, and Michigan State in the Dome during those Sugar Bowl tournament years. Suffered a bad loss to the Pitt Panthers in the finals in one of those years. Coach Paschal should be in our Hall of Fame. That needs to be eventually rectified.
    THIS!!!!^

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    How in the world is Paschal not in our HOF?

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information