Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Baseball rpi 4/18/22

Default Re: Baseball rpi 4/18/22

Apparently Round Rock doesn’t count either because the weather was so bad, and that only affected us and not the other teams there. This is Deggs second year because of covid, and we should be 13-2 in conference so all is well. Am I doing this right? Missing anything?

Quote Originally Posted by raginbeef View Post
    Apparently Round Rock doesn’t count either because the weather was so bad, and that only affected us and not the other teams there. This is Deggs second year because of covid, and we should be 13-2 in conference so all is well. Am I doing this right? Missing anything?
    They lost to two top 25 RPI teams there. And yeah, the Indiana game was a disaster, and it was a lineup with all backups…for whatever reason.

I’ve touched on this before, but it seems like there are some people who’s expectations are WAY unrealistic. A lot of people here seem to think that Cajun baseball is a perineal regional team and a “good” year is a Super Regional appearance.

This team has played one of the toughest schedules in the country this year. If the games that are upcoming had been part of the schedule earlier in the year (and the results were what I expect them to be), the perception of this team would be very different.

Maybe let it play out and see what happens before the bashing

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    They lost to two top 25 RPI teams there. And yeah, the Indiana game was a disaster, and it was a lineup with all backups…for whatever reason.

I’ve touched on this before, but it seems like there are some people who’s expectations are WAY unrealistic. A lot of people here seem to think that Cajun baseball is a perineal regional team and a “good” year is a Super Regional appearance.

This team has played one of the toughest schedules in the country this year. If the games that are upcoming had been part of the schedule earlier in the year (and the results were what I expect them to be), the perception of this team would be very different.

Maybe let it play out and see what happens before the bashing
    I think people have a higher expectation because Matt Deggs turned this thing around in 13-14. When he was hired to be the head coach i think we thought it would happen again. He took the mic and started screaming Omaha from jump. After 3 years of work thats a pipe dream.

4. Default Re: Baseball rpi 4/18/22

351 teams competing to go to Omaha. Louisiana has been once. The expectations are really too high.

5. Default Re: Baseball rpi 4/18/22

Maybe I’m way too irrational and whiny, but this sums up my thoughts pretty well. In summer 2019 it was “see you in Omaha.” Going in to this year it was that we have a Super Regional team. I get some of that is hype, but I’m basing my expectations off of what Deggs said we are capable of. I get that there are plenty people who will say I’m an idiot for my opinion. I’m just disappointed to see a .500 team (I realize our schedule is really tough, to say the least), and the games I have been to it’s sunny & 75 degrees on a Saturday and the stadium isn’t even half full. It’s frustrating. Hopefully in a year or two, or maybe by May I’ll be laughing at this comment and things will look completely different. I’ve been wrong more times than I can count and I hope this is another one of those times.

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    I think people have a higher expectation because Matt Deggs turned this thing around in 13-14. When he was hired to be the head coach i think we thought it would happen again. He took the mic and started screaming Omaha from jump. After 3 years of work thats a pipe dream.

This weekend should be a pretty clear indication of where we're at. We're about to go play a team on a rec ball field who has somehow managed to rebuild in less than a decade. I'm fairly sure we'd take 2/3 from them at home. On the road: no clue. Go out and show that we have actually improved over this stretch and that it's not just due to inferior opponents.

I could understand this "expectations are too high" argument if it hadn't been since 2016 that we made a regional. The stadium has been half full at best this year. If you want to sell 4,000+ tickets, you have to have some kind of standard as a program. Ticket sales are already down 300-400 tickets, but I don't think people are ready to have that discussion.

7. Default Re: Baseball rpi 4/18/22

Expectations of making a regional on a semi-consistent basis is reasonable. Supers and Omaha much less so.

I get my expectations right from the coach’s mouth in this instance. We were self-lauded as a regional team at the start of the season. I’m just tired of all the excuse making and the coulda shoulda woulda rhetoric from Deggs. Nobody gives a ____. If anyone besides Roccaforte could figure out how to hit the ball consistently, we would steamroll teams with how we run the bases. The statistics posted in the LSU game thread are very telling. Top 10 in stolen bases, yet bottom half in runs per game because our BA and OBP are subpar to mediocre. It’s frustrating because you can see the possibilities, but the results aren’t quite there

9. Default Re: Baseball rpi 4/18/22

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    This weekend should be a pretty clear indication of where we're at. We're about to go play a team on a rec ball field who has somehow managed to rebuild in less than a decade. I'm fairly sure we'd take 2/3 from them at home. On the road: no clue. Go out and show that we have actually improved over this stretch and that it's not just due to inferior opponents.

I could understand this "expectations are too high" argument if it hadn't been since 2016 that we made a regional. The stadium has been half full at best this year. If you want to sell 4,000+ tickets, you have to have some kind of standard as a program. Ticket sales are already down 300-400 tickets, but I don't think people are ready to have that discussion.
    I don’t see butts in the seats being a whole bunch different since Russo has opened. Where did you get the 300 or 400 less season tickets sold?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Caviar View Post
    Expectations of making a regional on a semi-consistent basis is reasonable. Supers and Omaha much less so.
    Southern Miss is in a inferior conference, in a small state with two SEC teams and has made 14 of the last 19 regionals. Barring a complete collapse, they will host this year.

We have no excuse for not making regionals half the time. We are headed for the 5th missed post season in a row, unless we get busy.

Quote Originally Posted by raginbeef View Post
    I get my expectations right from the coach’s mouth in this instance. We were self-lauded as a regional team at the start of the season. I’m just tired of all the excuse making and the coulda shoulda woulda rhetoric from Deggs. Nobody gives a ____. If anyone besides Roccaforte could figure out how to hit the ball consistently, we would steamroll teams with how we run the bases. The statistics posted in the LSU game thread are very telling. Top 10 in stolen bases, yet bottom half in runs per game because our BA and OBP are subpar to mediocre. It’s frustrating because you can see the possibilities, but the results aren’t quite there
    The national and conference offensive stats are mediocre at best. Our offense needs serious work.

12. Default Re: Baseball rpi 4/18/22

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    Southern Miss is in a inferior conference, in a small state with two SEC teams and has made 14 of the last 19 regionals. We have no excuse for not making regionals half the time.
    Well, it looks like we better find an excuse as it may well happen again absent some miraculous turnaround in productivity. When we started missing regionals some time back, it was we should make one at least every 4 years, now you are down to every other year. I agree with you that we should be consistently making a regional but I believe every other year would be a bit aggressive especially with the transfer portal, immediate play upon transfer and NIL. Those on here regularly expecting to make super regionals and then get to Omaha need a reality check.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    This weekend should be a pretty clear indication of where we're at. We're about to go play a team on a rec ball field who has somehow managed to rebuild in less than a decade. I'm fairly sure we'd take 2/3 from them at home. On the road: no clue.
    We don't even look like the same team on the road, unfortunately, a sign of an average team.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    The national and conference offensive stats are mediocre at best. Our offense needs serious work.
    What needs more improvement, hitting or reducing all the free base runners. Our offense may be good enough if we seriously reduce all the freebies we give. That may have been the difference in Tuesday night's game.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    What needs more improvement, hitting or reducing all the free base runners. Our offense may be good enough if we seriously reduce all the freebies we give. That may have been the difference in Tuesday night's game.
    Sun Belt Stats
    Runs Scored: 199, 7th
    Runs Allowed: 175, 3rd

Offense needs the most work.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information