Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Baseball rpi 4/18/22

Default Re: Baseball rpi 4/18/22

Quote Originally Posted by CajunStros View Post
    Sadly, even if we get an at large (somehow) or win the tournament I don’t see how some of the coaching decisions will result in anything fruitful. We sacrifice defense in the lineup for offense more often than not and the handling of the pitching staff has been questionable at best up to this point.

What was Tony’s phrase, you pitch your way TO a regional and then hit your way through a regional? I don’t think we get past the first part. I want to be wrong, badly. I just don’t see it.
    I’d be ok sacrificing defense for offense except the fact that we still aren’t clobbering it at the plate. Don’t get me wrong, it’s been better recently for sure, but I expected more in the third year of an “offensive-minded” coach

Quote Originally Posted by raginbeef View Post
    I’d be ok sacrificing defense for offense except the fact that we still aren’t clobbering it at the plate. Don’t get me wrong, it’s been better recently for sure, but I expected more in the third year of an “offensive-minded” coach
    Third year ? You wanna count the 12-13 game Covid season in 2020 go right ahead but Deggs hasn't coached two full seasons yet.

3. Default Re: Baseball rpi 4/18/22

Quote Originally Posted by babysitter View Post
    Third year ? You wanna count the 12-13 game Covid season in 2020 go right ahead but Deggs hasn't coached two full seasons yet.
    Babysitter is either Deggs or a family member. He's had 3 offseason to build a roster and two full seasons head coaching here. Again, the dude from Ga St was hired at the same time and has totally rebuilt that program in the same time frame, with little support, no tradition of success and playing on the more difficult side of the league.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Babysitter is either Deggs or a family member. He's had 3 offseason to build a roster and two full seasons head coaching here. Again, the dude from Ga St was hired at the same time and has totally rebuilt that program in the same time frame, with little support, no tradition of success and playing on the more difficult side of the league.
    Not to mention they are hitting the cover off the ball while we’re still seemingly finding an identity and tinkering with the roster

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Gotta respect the job GA State HC has done. He was there previously as an assistant, left to start an NAIA program from scratch and averaged 47 wins per season before going back to GA State.

6. Default Re: Baseball rpi 4/18/22

By Maggard math, Deggs has won 75% of his games at Louisiana. We’re in good shape right now, guys.

Baseball has become basketball. Sadly

8. Default Re: Baseball rpi 4/18/22

Agree. I’m hoping Deggs gets things going, but every week I’m less convinced Deggs is the guy. I get the feeling we will be a perennial .500 team under his leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post

I have no idea what the future holds, but Deggs has been the coach here for 108 games. Thats less than 2 full baseball regular seasons. And the win% over that stretch is better than the two full seasons (112 games) preceding his arrival.

To compare that to 12 years of mediocrity from the basketball program is, at the very least, a bit premature.

We finished 2021 with RPI at #111. We have climbed half way up the list so far this season to #55. Objectively measured progress. It's math. If we finish in the 40's I would call that significant improvement. If we somehow (not sure how) wind up in a regional that is an excellent season.

https://www.thebaseballcube.com/page.ge_rpi&ID=2021

Quote Originally Posted by ryan.hess1986 View Post
    Agree. I’m hoping Deggs gets things going, but every week I’m less convinced Deggs is the guy. I get the feeling we will be a perennial .500 team under his leadership.

The last 4 weeks has seen the team go 11-5. They had a bad weekend in Round Rock and another at Troy. And both of those were quite a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    The last 4 weeks has seen the team go 11-5. They had a bad weekend in Round Rock and another at Troy. And both of those were quite a while ago.
    11 and 5 against inferior teams we lose to decent and above

We won 2/3 against GA Southern, a projected regional host and national seed.

We are a different team at home compared to away. They need to fix that before they can be called a good team.

There are 301 D1 teams listed in the RPI rankings. What do you consider “decent”?

The Cajuns have wins over Ga. Southern (2), Southern Miss, La Tech, UC-Irvine (2) and South Alabama (2)

All of those teams are in the top 70

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    We finished 2021 with RPI at #111. We have climbed half way up the list so far this season to #55. Objectively measured progress. It's math. If we finish in the 40's I would call that significant improvement. If we somehow (not sure how) wind up in a regional that is an excellent season.

https://www.thebaseballcube.com/page.ge_rpi&ID=2021
    This was a regional team when the season started…at least what we were told

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information