Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Alcorn State Baseball.How Bad

Default Re: Alcorn State Baseball.How Bad

A long time ago my son played summer college woodbat with an Alcorn player, He said they got next to no equipment from the school. They got uniforms and a few balls. the players supplied nearly everything else, like little league.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    A long time ago my son played summer college woodbat with an Alcorn player, He said they got next to no equipment from the school. They got uniforms and a few balls. the players supplied nearly everything else, like little league.
    That’s correct. Some of the schools like Southern & Grambling have more help from former players to raise money. One way to describe it is compared to UL. If a Cajuns player loses a shirt or hat, they can get another one from the equipment staff. At a SWAC school, if you lose a shirt or hat you’re out of luck.

3. Default Re: Alcorn State Baseball.How Bad

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    Only 23 players on the roster. 10 freshmen and 6 sophomores. Major rebuild with Coach Williams in his first season. SWAC baseball isn’t the same as what you see in other conferences. Many teams struggle to fill their schedule even though they have legitimate D1 talent on the roster. Funding is a major issue for all the programs. It’s a different style but those are some of the hardest working kids you’ll ever meet. I’ll actually be at Southern on Saturday to watch a game.
    That is fine and dandy, but the SWAC has had competitive teams in the past, Southern back when Ricky Weeks played for them and Jackson State a few years ago not to mention FAMU and Bethune Cookman have been pretty competitive teams in the past. In fact this year the SWAC has a team with an 18-14 record in Alabama State who has a sub 200 RPI (194). . Not great teams, not even good teams, but at least competitive teams. I hope Coach Williams gets them on the right path, but being defeated by two average to terrible teams and giving up 32 runs in the process is an embarrassment. I realize this is his first year at Alcorn, but man even that 0-whatever St. Pete's team was better than that. That 0-38 team hit .241 on the season with an ERA of 11.45. They lost their games 428-111, or 11.26 - 2.9 per game. As bad as they were, they were better than this Alcorn team. I understand the underfunding and youth, etc. But being this bad is unfortunate for the kids. That 2017 St. Pete's team was bad, but I don't think they were 2022 Alcorn bad. I don't really mind them getting beat but when you get beat 16-2 on average in every game that is an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    It’s really bad there. Things may have improved since (God I hope so) but I played a game at Alcorn back in the day. The following are absolute facts:

1. They literally had a barbed wire OF fence in left field, that was 436’ down the LF line according to a piece of driftwood that was attached to the fence near the foul line that had “436” hand painted on it

2. The infield grass was St. Augustine

3. The “mound” was basically a couple of wheelbarrows of dirt someone dumped on the field and was a round hump.

4. They drug the dirt part of the field with a pickup truck.

5. The field, near the infield area was surrounded by chain link fencing, no netting at all. And the bleachers were the aluminum stands you see at little league parks

6. And not surprisingly, they had no lights and on a cloudy afternoon, they game had to be called due to darkness.

I left there feeling sorry for those guys that played there. I never played in a high school or summer league park that was anywhere near as bad

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    It’s really bad there. Things may have improved since (God I hope so) but I played a game at Alcorn back in the day. The following are absolute facts:

1. They literally had a barbed wire OF fence in left field, that was 436’ down the LF line according to a piece of driftwood that was attached to the fence near the foul line that had “436” hand painted on it

3. The “mound” was basically a couple of wheelbarrows of dirt someone dumped on the field and was a round hump.

5. The field, near the infield area was surrounded by chain link fencing, no netting at all. And the bleachers were the aluminum stands you see at little league parks

6. And not surprisingly, they had no lights and on a cloudy afternoon, they game had to be called due to darkness.

I left there feeling sorry for those guys that played there. I never played in a high school or summer league park that was anywhere near as bad
    Wow! Thats beyond bad!

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    That is fine and dandy, but the SWAC has had competitive teams in the past, Southern back when Ricky Weeks played for them and Jackson State a few years ago not to mention FAMU and Bethune Cookman have been pretty competitive teams in the past. In fact this year the SWAC has a team with an 18-14 record in Alabama State who has a sub 200 RPI (194). . Not great teams, not even good teams, but at least competitive teams. I hope Coach Williams gets them on the right path, but being defeated by two average to terrible teams and giving up 32 runs in the process is an embarrassment. I realize this is his first year at Alcorn, but man even that 0-whatever St. Pete's team was better than that. That 0-38 team hit .241 on the season with an ERA of 11.45. They lost their games 428-111, or 11.26 - 2.9 per game. As bad as they were, they were better than this Alcorn team. I understand the underfunding and youth, etc. But being this bad is unfortunate for the kids. That 2017 St. Pete's team was bad, but I don't think they were 2022 Alcorn bad. I don't really mind them getting beat but when you get beat 16-2 on average in every game that is an issue.
    One reason for the lopsided scores is obviously pitching. There's 12 pitchers on the roster with only 6 not having to play other positions in the field. Each of the schools you mentioned went through a rebuild like this one, even though not as drastic. Southern went 9-33 in Kerrick Jackson's first season (2018). In 2019 they went 34-24, won the SWAC West, won the SWAC tournament, went to a regional, & were named HBCU National Champs. Alcorn won't see this big a turnaround as quick because of their lack of resources but they won't be this bad for long.

On the note of the Rickie Weeks years at Southern, that was catching lightning in a bottle from 2001-2003. Two of my former teammates were on those rosters. Southern had 20 players drafted from 01-04, 6 of them in the Top 10 rounds. Those teams were fun to watch. Stole around 100 bases per season while also hitting 65-70 home runs & around 35 triples.

They have an actual stadium now but the outfield fence still looks like it's built out of 2x4's they found on the side of the road.

8. Default Re: Alcorn State Baseball.How Bad

This sounds like Northside bad . . .

Here's a good one. The Alcorn State game stream is better than CUSA! They even have 3 camera's set up for different angles.

http://theasuchronicle.com/alcorn-st.-state-sports/

Here's a good one. The Alcorn State game stream is better than CUSA! They even have 3 camera's set up for different angles.

http://theasuchronicle.com/alcorn-st.-state-sports/
    Is the camera behind the plate on the ump's back?

My son got to know the Alcorn kid he played with, a doctor's son from Orlando. Good HS program, good HS summer team. He knew it was rough going in, but was still shocked.

It sounds like an average Dominican Republic situation, almost 3rd world.

Alcorn has a starting pitcher (converted IF) with an ERA of 18.46. 5 appearances all starts with 7 innings pitched total. Gave up 8 ER in 2 IP to McNeese.

One reason for the lopsided scores is obviously pitching. There's 12 pitchers on the roster with only 6 not having to play other positions in the field. Each of the schools you mentioned went through a rebuild like this one, even though not as drastic. Southern went 9-33 in Kerrick Jackson's first season (2018). In 2019 they went 34-24, won the SWAC West, won the SWAC tournament, went to a regional, & were named HBCU National Champs. Alcorn won't see this big a turnaround as quick because of their lack of resources but they won't be this bad for long.

On the note of the Rickie Weeks years at Southern, that was catching lightning in a bottle from 2001-2003. Two of my former teammates were on those rosters. Southern had 20 players drafted from 01-04, 6 of them in the Top 10 rounds. Those teams were fun to watch. Stole around 100 bases per season while also hitting 65-70 home runs & around 35 triples.
    Weeks went to school near Orlando. I watched him a couple of times. He was in the outfield because the head coaches kid played SS and went on to play at Duke, the ACC doormat.

Alcon finally went hitless Friday vs Grambling.

https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball.e/Alcorn-State

BA up to .215 but ERA up also, 18.11. Walks given up on year crossed 300, nobody close to that in league.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Alcon finally went hitless Friday vs Grambling.

https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball.e/Alcorn-State

BA up to .215 but ERA up also, 18.11. Walks given up on year crossed 300, nobody close to that in league.
    Man, their games probably need time limits!

15. Default Re: Alcorn State Baseball.How Bad

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    Man, their games probably need time limits!
    In a 3 game series this weekend, RPI #280 Grambling defeated Alcorn State by a total of 67-6.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information