Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread: UNO Friday Night Starter (former Robe offer and commit)

UL Baseball UNO Friday Night Starter (former Robe offer and commit)

I have gone back and watched ESPN+ on demand UNO Friday night pitcher the last few games. Tyler LeBlanc from Lafayette High. He was a kid that Robe evaluated, recruited and offered. The kid was committed to sign here at the time of coaches untimely passing. The kid grew up a Cajuns fan and wanted nothing more than to be here. We all know Robe was a great evaluator of pitching talent. One of the first things Deggs did was pull this kids offer. There is absolutely no doubt this kid could have given you a better start against Tech last Wednesday and a better start than that same kid the week before. The kid would no doubt be one of your better options coming out of our current bullpen. He is an Ace on a pretty decent SLC squad.

It is just mind boggling to me that a college coach could evaluate the talent of the kid from Lafayette high yank his offer and offer a scholarship to Harvard instead. Nothing against the kid personally just watch the 2 of them pitch. It makes no sense. Obviously coach Robe knew what he was doing.

Default Re: UNO Friday Night Starter (former Robe offer and commit)

I’m sure there will be several others that have success elsewhere that didn’t fit the mold that Deggs/Thib are looking for.

That said, through 1.5 years I do have some concerns about the way pitching has been evaluated and coached thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunStros View Post
    I’m sure there will be several others that have success elsewhere that didn’t fit the mold that Deggs/Thib are looking for.

That said, through 1.5 years I do have some concerns about the way pitching has been evaluated and coached thus far.
    Agree when it comes to pitching he should have left the mold as he found it. If the kid was good enough for toney the guy that saved his life. Good enough to be an ACE of a staff one would think he could contribute here?

4. Default Re: UNO Friday Night Starter (former Robe offer and commit)

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    Agree when it comes to pitching he should have left the mold as he found it. If the kid was good enough for toney the guy that saved his life. Good enough to be an ACE of a staff one would think he could contribute here?
    So, we went from a long 6’ 2” 185 lb lefty with a 90mph fast ball to a short 5’ 9” 235 lb righty and we going to say we got the right mold . . . When I found this out I said something is messed up. . .

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    So, we went from a long 6’ 2” 185 lb lefty with a 90mph fast ball to a short 5’ 9” 235 lb righty and we going to say we got the right mold . . . When I found this out I said something is messed up. . .
    Yes if that's your talent evaluator we should all be a little concerned. That was pre Seth Thib maybe he is better judge of pitching talent.

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    Yes if that's your talent evaluator we should all be a little concerned. That was pre Seth Thib maybe he is better judge of pitching talent.
    Right, that was before coach Thib was onboard.

Our current staff ERA vs a national Top 10 SOS competition (prior to state series) is pretty good. Inconsistent at times from most in the staffbut our SOS they pitched against was near top in nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Policarp View Post
    Our current staff ERA vs a national Top 10 SOS competition (prior to state series) is pretty good. Inconsistent at times from most in the staffbut our SOS they pitched against was near top in nation.
    Giving up just 3.75 runs per game since the 4 game losing streak (Troy sweep and Nicholls loss).

And that includes unearned runs and a couple of extra innings games.

Thats a good recipe for success…and consequently they are 9-3 in those last 12 games.

EDIT: Just went through the box scores. There’s been just 1 unearned run over the last 12 games, and they have played 3 extra innings. Team ERA over that span is 3.57. Thats pretty darn good.

And allowing just a single earned run over that span means the defense is playing well too.

Other than the 3 at Arkansas State, the schedule hasn’t been a whole lot easier over that time frame with 6 games against Ga Southern and South Alabama, and two against La Tech. But guys are starting to find their roles…and most of them are pitching well.

We are pitching better and playing better because of a few things:
    1- the schedule has lightened up a hair
    2- players have become more comfortable being uncomfortable
    3- we finally have some defined roles for just about everyone wearing a uniform

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    We are pitching better and playing better because of a few things:
    1- the schedule has lightened up a hair
    2- players have become more comfortable being uncomfortable
    3- we finally have some defined roles for just about everyone wearing a uniform
    I was editing my post when you posted this. We are on the same page.

The team is definitely trending in the right direction

11. Default Re: UNO Friday Night Starter (former Robe offer and commit)

What does any of this discussion have to do with the fact that we pulled a scholarship offer from the Friday night starter at UNO?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    What does any of this discussion have to do with the fact that we pulled a scholarship offer from the Friday night starter at UNO?
    Not much. A point was made about how the pitching has been much improved lately. And it went from there. Who knows what this kid would be doing if he were pitching here? He’s not, so there’s not really much reason to continue to talk about it.

That said, I’m not sure you’re the best ambassador for keeping threads on topic.

Not to mention that, while he is the Friday starter at UNO (from what was said), he’s got a 4.58 ERA there while doing it. He gave up 6 earned runs in 4 innings against NW State and 5 earned runs in 7 innings against McNeese, which are the only teams that are on the Cajuns’ schedule.

I think UL is fine without him.

13. Default Re: UNO Friday Night Starter (former Robe offer and commit)

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    Not much. A point was made about how the pitching has been much improved lately. And it went from there. Who knows what this kid would be doing if he were pitching here? He’s not, so there’s not really much reason to continue to talk about it.

That said, I’m not sure you’re the best ambassador for keeping threads on topic.
    I am not an ambassador and have never claimed to be and there is absolutely no reason to believe this kid would not also be doing just great here.

I dunno.

Looks like it’s a good thing he’s had healthy run support.

https://unoprivateers.com/sports/bas.r-leblanc/5266

Robe liked some STM pitchers.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread Information