Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: UNO Friday Night Starter (former Robe offer and commit)

Default Re: UNO Friday Night Starter (former Robe offer and commit)

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    I’m not saying Havard (not Harvard) is a dominating force. And I also don’t need (or want) to watch a UNO-McNeese game.

The fact is, neither pitcher has been very effective. So I don’t really see a reason to worry about a guy not being here who has been ineffective against any decent team he’s faced while crapping on a guy who is here.

It’s pretty obvious you have some personal connection to the UNO kid, and you said that he wanted to be a Cajun. I definitely get it. And if he was going out and shoving every Friday night somewhere, it would be a different conversation. But thats not the case.
    I ve watched the kid also. His stats are deceiving. He typically does shove it the first 4 or 5 innings in his last few starts. The runs have come in the latter innings. The inflated numbers are from a couple of bad outings back in February that he obviously corrected some things. Anyway the kid is not here so the point is moot. I’ll just say this the 6’3” lefty has a chance at playing ball at the next level. Deggs pudgy recruit has none.

I’m not saying Havard (not Harvard) is a dominating force. And I also don’t need (or want) to watch a UNO-McNeese game.

The fact is, neither pitcher has been very effective. So I don’t really see a reason to worry about a guy not being here who has been ineffective against any decent team he’s faced while crapping on a guy who is here.

It’s pretty obvious you have some personal connection to the UNO kid, and you said that he wanted to be a Cajun. I definitely get it. And if he was going out and shoving every Friday night somewhere, it would be a different conversation. But thats not the case.
    You also shouldn’t comment on a kid if you haven’t seen him pitch. Stats are for losers as the old saying goes. One or 2 bad outings can be misleading if you look at numbers alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaston Thibodeaux View Post
    I ve watched the kid also. His stats are deceiving. He typically does shove it the first 4 or 5 innings in his last few starts. The runs have come in the latter innings. The inflated numbers are from a couple of bad outings back in February that he obviously corrected some things. Anyway the kid is not here so the point is moot. I’ll just say this the 6’3” lefty has a chance at playing ball at the next level. Deggs pudgy recruit has none.
    You are correct. I trust Robes eye for raw pitching talent more than I do Deggs. From what I was told Justin did some one on ones with the kid and he really liked him also.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Drew isn't that good.
    He will get drafted way before any pitcher on our current staff does. Pro scouts have been high on him since high school. He would easily be the best pitcher on the current Cajuns staff.

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    You also shouldn’t comment on a kid if you haven’t seen him pitch. Stats are for losers as the old saying goes. One or 2 bad outings can be misleading if you look at numbers alone.
    Ok. Last thing I’ll say on this.

Stats are not the be all and end all, but (especially in baseball) they give a pretty good idea about how good guys over time.

You made the comment that one or 2 bad outings can be misleading. Couldn’t the opposite also be true? A few good ones can put a little shine on some bad ones?

This kid at UNO, who I have absolutely nothing against, had 3 good, while rather short, outings in a row (13.1 innings total) against Kansas, ULM, and Youngstown St. His other 6 outings, which includes his last 4, he’s allowed 19 earned runs in 27 innings. Thats a 6.33 ERA. This kid may be talented, but that’s not productive pitching. He also had a 7.58 ERA across 29.1 innings last year.

Havard had a 2.25 ERA last year in relief, and has had some good outings this year. He’s thrown 10 innings against UC-Irvine, NW State and McNeese and allowed just 1 run. Yes, he’s struggled in a few starts since then, but Havard IS a Ragin Cajun player. People making comments about his physique, when he lost 40 lbs going in to this season is just ridiculous.

There’s not a whole lot of difference between the results these two guys have had so far in the college careers. They both have ERA’s over 6.00 as college pitchers. Again, there’s obviously some emotional connection for some of you with the UNO kid. And he may be very talented. But he’s walked 35 batters in 65 college innings. And given up 69 hits. Those stats are facts. Some other things can be involved in these, but he’s 6-4 with a 6.16 ERA in his time at UNO.

Let’s stop acting like the decisions the new staff made cost the team an ace pitcher. That’s obviously not the case.

Stats are not the be all and end all, but (especially in baseball) they give a pretty good idea about how good guys over time.

You made the comment that one or 2 bad outings can be misleading. Couldn’t the opposite also be true? A few good ones can put a little shine on some bad ones?

This kid at UNO, who I have absolutely nothing against, had 3 good, while rather short, outings in a row (13.1 innings total) against Kansas, ULM, and Youngstown St. His other 6 outings, which includes his last 4, he’s allowed 19 earned runs in 27 innings. Thats a 6.33 ERA. This kid may be talented, but that’s not productive pitching. He also had a 7.58 ERA across 29.1 innings last year.

Havard had a 2.25 ERA last year in relief, and has had some good outings this year. He’s thrown 10 innings against UC-Irvine, NW State and McNeese and allowed just 1 run. Yes, he’s struggled in a few starts since then, but Havard IS a Ragin Cajun player. People making comments about his physique, when he lost 40 lbs going in to this season is just ridiculous.

There’s not a whole lot of difference between the results these two guys have had so far in the college careers. They both have ERA’s over 6.00 as college pitchers. Again, there’s obviously some emotional connection for some of you with the UNO kid. And he may be very talented. But he’s walked 35 batters in 65 college innings. And given up 69 hits. Those stats are facts. Some other things can be involved in these, but he’s 6-4 with a 6.16 ERA in his time at UNO.

Let’s stop acting like the decisions the new staff made cost the team an ace pitcher. That’s obviously not the case.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    You are correct. I trust Robes eye for raw pitching talent more than I do Deggs. From what I was told Justin did some one on ones with the kid and he really liked him also.
    Robe found Hunter Moody watching one of Jut's games. I believe he was very lightly recruited and wound up All American.

My last comment. Huge difference pitching on a Tuesday vs a Friday. On Friday you will always get the other teams best shot. Tuesday not so much. Take the kids start against Mcneese they scored 0 through 5. Watching Deggs this year he would have probably pulled him after 5 and a 3rd or 2/3rds. UNO coaches just leaves him out to dry. In his starts he has been very effective first time through the order up to the 4 or 5 innings. Would be great long relief kind of a guy here or mid week starter when you are wanting a guy to get you through the line up once.

But hey don't take my word when you see Justin Robichaux ask him what he thinks of the kid and where he should be. Justin coached him and knows him well.

Know one ever said the coaching decision cost the team an Ace. The exact comments were strong candidate as a relief guy out of the pen and better mid week starter than we have been getting the past couple weeks.

You do know where the kid would be if the greatest pitching coach and judge of pitching talent the Cajuns ever had was still alive right?

9. Default Re: UNO Friday Night Starter (former Robe offer and commit)

My displeasure with this draft is no secret. However, this is a very accurate post. Well done.

If I'm not mistaken, when Billy Napier was named head coach, he released all of the commitments the previous staff had gotten.

It worked out OK.

If we missed on this one, we missed. Isn't the first time. Won't be the last time.

We're ok.

Nailed it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, when Billy Napier was named head coach, he released all of the commitments the previous staff had gotten.

It worked out OK.

If we missed on this one, we missed. Isn't the first time. Won't be the last time.

We're ok.
    You are correct. The crazy thing in this is if our beloved Tony was still with us the UNO kid would be pitching in the belt and the UL kid would probably be pitching at Sam Houston. Crazy how things work out sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    Robe found Hunter Moody watching one of Jut's games. I believe he was very lightly recruited and wound up All American.
    Right…And that is what you would call potential and development. Development has been an issue here

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    Right…And that is what you would call potential and development. Development has been an issue here
    Cooper Rawls is holding on line 2 to discuss this with you.

Grambling new volleyball coach who is an alumn of Grambling released the entire team.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information