Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sun Belt Adding Men's Soccer, League Will Include Two SEC Schools

Default Re: Sun Belt Adding Men's Soccer, League Will Include Two SEC Schools

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    To quote my old high school coach back in 1986 growing up in a small town in Acadiana when only the Lafayette schools had soccer in this area, along with BR and NOLA in the state. This coach was in his first year after leaving STM as an assistant principal. Me “Coach why don’t we play soccer here like they do in Lafayette”. Ah Krazy soccer is a _____ sport. O ok coach. I didn’t ask any more questions and that’s the extent of my soccer knowledge.
    You talking about the late Bill Dotson by any chance? Called the soccer players “soccer _______”. Ironic the first state championship Acadiana won was secured by a late field goal by a “soccer _____”. Wish Coach would of been alive to see it.

I’m a soccer guy. Ok, who is our “Alfred Lamson” in this situation? Soccer on the women’s side is so far behind, men’s would be even further behind. And soccer does not draw. Check out Marshall”s best draws and stadium size. Do some research before flipping a booger on the wall and hoping it sticks.

Been to multiple state championships involving local h/s teams. It’s the parents and usually a hundred or so students showing up as far as support. There’s not a deep rooted fire in Lafayette for soccer. But we get a guy like Marshall has that throws millions at it, sure.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vete...Soccer_Complex

Marshall sucked for decades until the sugar daddy came along.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsha...men%27s_soccer

I am a massive advocate for adding mens soccer but there is a glaring issue that I know is going prevent Maggard from doing it.

This conference first off, is top notch, extremely talented teams joining it.

Marshall, James Madison, Coastal, West Virginia, and Kentucky have all been ranked in the past 2 years with Marshall winning the national championship in 2020.

Our issue would be travel cost and that’s it. This conference is regionally based on the east coast. It would cost a ton to send our teams out there for every conference away game. Now that wouldn’t be a problem if the mens soccer home games would bring in 10,000 fans every game which they could tbh.

Soccer is a very popular sport down in Louisiana and I believe it could succeed. Just need to convince Maggard.

If we do make a team we would dominate Louisiana and the south. So much hidden talent in this state.

Louisiana has produced two Herman Award winners, which is the equivalent to the Heisman so there is talent. If that talent had a proper D1 team to go to we could get a ton of it.

I am not a soccer guy and I’d definitely go support them

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    You talking about the late Bill Dotson by any chance? Called the soccer players “soccer _______”. Ironic the first state championship Acadiana won was secured by a late field goal by a “soccer _____”. Wish Coach would of been alive to see it.
    Dont recall Bill being at STM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaC View Post
    Louisiana has produced two Herman Award winners, which is the equivalent to the Heisman so there is talent. If that talent had a proper D1 team to go to we could get a ton of it.
    And to that point the FOUR Herman Award winners played far from Louisiana to win the awards. Lapiria (St Louis/LC 06) and Garey (St Amant 05) both at Maryland and Mullins (Jesuit 12-13) (2x) at Notre Dame.

Check the numbers of Marshall’s attendance. Nobody is going to draw 10k for soccer in the south. Soccer is played in the fall. Having a child that was recruited for soccer, here was the explanation I was given…”Dad, I’d be traveling on a bus all over the south on Saturdays to play soccer while my friends will be at the football game. I don’t need the soccer scholarship, I have the grades for academic scholarships and TOPS”.

7. Default Re: Sun Belt Adding Men's Soccer, League Will Include Two SEC Schools

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    And to that point both Herman Award winners played far from the Louisiana to win the awards.

Check the numbers of Marshall’s attendance. Nobody is going to draw 10k for soccer in the south. Soccer is played in the fall. Having a child that was recruited for soccer, here was the explanation I was given…”Dad, I’d be traveling on a bus all over the south on Saturdays to play soccer while my friends will be at the football game. I don’t need the soccer scholarship, I have the grades for academic scholarships and TOPS”.
    …..So how to start a program….. go to the Tex-Mex border and have all the illegals practice kick and send only those buses to Lafayette….hey I remember a Mexican that tried out to kick for football….Slick how ‘bout some stories?

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    Dont recall Bill being at STM.
    Nope, sorry missed that. Dotson never at STM, but knew multiple guys that went to Acadiana and played for Dotson. He wasn’t a fan.

Is the late start in the schools simply because of views on soccer or is it the school systems themselves. As I seem to recall Ron Guidry stating he played Legion Baseball and his HS did not have a baseball team. (late 60’s and into the 70’s?? not that long ago)

Very informative posts, but could there be more to the story?

Ironically one could argue Soccer was way ahead of the curve when it came to “Travel Ball”, although it could also be argued that that is not a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    I'm down for dropping basketball and adding men's soccer
    They might reassign Big Fish….. lol Doesnt govt keep most employed when job is downsized? ha.

I am a massive advocate for adding mens soccer but there is a glaring issue that I know is going prevent Maggard from doing it.

Marshall, James Madison, Coastal, West Virginia, and Kentucky have all been ranked in the past 2 years with Marshall winning the national championship in 2020.

Our issue would be travel cost and that’s it. This conference is regionally based on the east coast. It would cost a ton to send our teams out there for every conference away game. Now that wouldn’t be a problem if the mens soccer home games would bring in 10,000 fans every game which they could tbh.

Soccer is a very popular sport down in Louisiana and I believe it could succeed. Just need to convince Maggard.

If we do make a team we would dominate Louisiana and the south. So much hidden talent in this state.

Great point. Would need some other western SBC teams to start teams to reduce travel costs. I could see how that's a nonstarter.

If you add soccer, which sport do you add for women's sports that is required by Title 9? And how do you fund it and the extra scholars and cost of attendance?

I really hate saying this, but until the SEC and Big 12 south make men’s soccer a priority, it’s not happening in the south. And then it’s too late for UL. Marshall and Akron are making it while they can.

And I hate to pop the bubble, Louisiana isn’t a hotbed for a lot of national talent. Not even close.

I don’t have all the answers on how it would work but I think it could.

Womens beach volleyball is another sport I’d give a go at. LSU is ranked #5 in it and they’ve been consistently ranked ever since they made the sport.

Beach volleyball is popular in Louisiana and every high school plays girls volleyball so you have people to recruit all over.

It could work here tbh and that’s the sport I’d go with for title 9 purposes to offset the mens soccer scholarships.

15. Default Re: Sun Belt Adding Men's Soccer, League Will Include Two SEC Schools

I don’t have all the answers on how it would work but I think it could.

Womens beach volleyball is another sport I’d give a go at. LSU is ranked #5 in it and they’ve been consistently ranked ever since they made the sport.

Beach volleyball is popular in Louisiana and every high school plays girls volleyball so you have people to recruit all over.

It could work here tbh and that’s the sport I’d go with for title 9 purposes to offset the mens soccer scholarships.
    We ought to go with it just for the entertainment value it provides . . .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information