Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: BB G2: Louisiana 5, South Alabama 6

Default Re: BB G2: Louisiana 5, South Alabama 6

The thing that makes this staff so unique is the extremely inconsistent roles and what is being asked of these guys. Our opening night starter’s most recent outing was a 4 inning outing for a midweek. Our Saturday opening weekend starter started that midweek. Our two most promising bullpen arms (Talley and Bonds) have been shuffled in and out of starting roles. Our best performing pitcher out of the pen from the first weekend (Ray) was put as a Friday night starter and is now back to the pen. Theut is another arm out of the pen who has been tried as a starter. Today we just had Schultz get his first start since 2019, and it was a 107 pitch outing.

We ask student athletes to be process rather than result oriented. That starts at the top. Managers can’t change a guy’s role every time he has a strong or poor outing. IMO roles need to be defined on this team sooner rather than later if we want these guys to develop any semblance of consistency. Im not sure Deggs agrees with that after him mentioning getting “creative” in his interview this week.

No doubt, Schultz did a really good job of minimizing the damage today. Really gutty performance.

This entire roster is musical chairs and at some point very soon it needs to be solidified. Same can be said for the pitching rotation but maybe I’m overthinking it.

Enough can’t be said about stress innings, but constantly getting behind in the count coupled with a stagnant offense will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    The thing that makes this staff so unique is the extremely inconsistent roles and what is being asked of these guys. Our opening night starter’s most recent outing was a 4 inning outing for a midweek. Our Saturday opening weekend starter started that midweek. Our two most promising bullpen arms (Talley and Bonds) have been shuffled in and out of starting roles. Our best performing pitcher out of the pen from the first weekend (Ray) was put as a Friday night starter and is now back to the pen. Theut is another arm out of the pen who has been tried as a starter. Today we just had Schultz get his first start since 2019, and it was a 107 pitch outing.

We ask student athletes to be process rather than result oriented. That starts at the top. Managers can’t change a guy’s role every time he has a strong or poor outing. IMO roles need to be defined on this team sooner rather than later if we want these guys to develop any semblance of consistency. Im not sure Deggs agrees with that after him mentioning getting “creative” in his interview this week.
    We are basically typing the same post at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    We are basically typing the same post at the same time.
    I noticed that lol. You managed to say it a little more succinctly.

Ideally you are correct, finding roles at this point would have been advantages. The problem is you can't find consistent roles with so much inconsistencies, specifically in finding starting pitching. We've seen Bonds, Ray, Talley and now Schultz all swing in both roles with Bonds being the most consistent of the group. At some point you would hope they would begin to grab a specific roles for themselves. But, it's kind of hard to do so if you are asking your coaching staff to trust you in roles and you can't consistently throw strikes. If you can't do that, there is no other role outside of sitting the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Ideally you are correct, finding roles at this point would have been advantages. The problem is you can't find consistent roles with so much inconsistencies, specifically in finding starting pitching. We've seen Bonds, Ray, Talley and now Schultz all swing in both roles with Bonds being the most consistent of the group. At some point you would hope they would begin to grab a specific roles for themselves. But, it's kind of hard to do so if you are asking your coaching staff to trust you in roles and you can't consistently throw strikes. If you can't do that, there is no other role outside of sitting the bench.
    I hear you, and that’s a good point. Not being able to throw strikes is about the most frustrating thing a pitcher can do. I remember hearing Robe say something similar to when a guy can’t throw strikes it’s time to grab and clipboard and come sit the bench. Just seems like if we took that approach with these guys we’d have a bench full of guys with clipboards and no one on the mound.

Seems maybe like the inconsistencies in roles and inconsistencies in performance could be feeding off of one another in a negative way.

I hear you, and that’s a good point. Not being able to throw strikes is about the most frustrating thing a pitcher can do. I remember hearing Robe say something similar to when a guy can’t throw strikes it’s time to grab and clipboard and come sit the bench. Just seems like if we took that approach with these guys we’d have a bench full of guys with clipboards and no one on the mound.

Seems maybe like the inconsistencies in roles and inconsistencies in performance could be feeding off of one another in a negative way.
    It's been tough to watch, but in spite of the pitching today; we go scoreless without Roccoforte's bat. That's even more concerning that we aren't getting the hits against decent pitching. Hopefully, we see the Sunday bats tomorrow that we saw against Houston. But that's the million dollar question at this point.

I find it interesting that the Cajuns walked 8 while they only received 1 walk. Virtually impossible to win a game when that occurs. I am actually shocked that this was a 1 run game

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I find it interesting that the Cajuns walked 8 while they only received 1 walk. Virtually impossible to win a game when that occurs. I am actually shocked that this was a 1 run game
    We actually only walked 6, but you’re right. Today was a unique game for sure (5 runs on 4 hits doesn’t happen often). We at least scattered 3 of the walks. The 6th inning crooked number was a direct result of the 3 walks in that inning though.

We actually only walked 6, but you’re right. Today was a unique game for sure (5 runs on 4 hits doesn’t happen often). We at least scattered 3 of the walks. The 6th inning crooked number was a direct result of the 3 walks in that inning though.
    Thanks for correction on the walk figure. I must have misread the box score. Still, as Coach Deggs said recently we will continue to be inconsistent if we don’t start coming out ahead in the “freebie” stat. We are way behind in that category for the season to date.

This game was the opposite of what we typically do. Next to nobody got on base, but we found a way to advance them and push across runs when they did get on. I think we only stranded 2 runners all game, one of them in the 9th

Was there ever a reason given why Hood wasn’t in the lineup today?

Quote Originally Posted by raginbeef View Post
    This game was the opposite of what we typically do. Next to nobody got on base, but we found a way to advance them and push across runs when they did get on. I think we only stranded 2 runners all game, one of them in the 9th
    It's all an enigma at so far

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    Was there ever a reason given why Hood wasn’t in the lineup today?
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that Deggs said in the pregame that he saw something in Zambo Friday night that he liked. So I guess Hood was the odd man out.

Considering it was Zambo's 7th AB Friday night and he struck out, I'm not really sure what a coach would see that would warrant a start the next day in conference against arguably the best team in conference.

I still think thibodeaux should’ve pulled Schultz when the first two batters got on in the 6th. He left him in a little too long imo. But if Perrin doesn’t come in with the walks and we go straight to tommy ray, we might not be in this situation. I know Perrin hasn’t thrown much but bringing him out in a one run game doesn’t seem like the best choice

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information