Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Quarterback Battle

1. UL Football 2022 Quarterback Battle

The UL football team is searching for the successor to Levi Lewis, its starting quarterback the past three seasons, as spring practice unfolds.

Default Re: Why Louisiana football's spring practice quarterback battle is far from settled

I want to bump this up and get perspective from the handful of you who really follow this stuff in the Spring and know what you're talking about (Cajun4Life).

Three takeaways from reading this article, a surprisingly decent one by Tim Buckley.

Chandler Fields, Lewis’ backup last season, and Fresno State transfer Ben Wooldridge, UL’s No. 3 in 2021, are the front-runners who were getting first-team reps before Saturday’s first spring scrimmage.

If these two are the front-runners, then we're probably looking at a bit more of a vertical passing gameplan in the Fall, correct?

“Then you’ve got Zeon, who, truthfully, for a true freshman … has really surprised everybody in the building with his ability to pick it up and run with it. He’s got a really bright future ahead of him.”

Cajun coaches rave over Chriss’ talent.

“I’m really excited about Zeon Chriss,” Leger said. “I recruited (him). Built that relationship for a long time. Beat some really good schools to get him to stay here and be the guy.

“He’s uniquely talented. He’s wired the right way. He’s really intelligent. He understands what’s happening.”

Is this dude the real deal, as far as we can tell from his very limited time in collegiate practice? Or is this just coach-speak?

“Lance is so athletic he could play safety here. He could play wide receiver here, he could play quarterback here. He is one of the most uniquely built physical specimens I’ve ever seen.”

LeGendre was pretty highly recruited out of high school, and I remember some people being excited that he transferred here. Does he have a shot? If he's the guy, what are we expecting out of the offensive gameplan vs. if Fields or Wooldridge is the guy?

If LeGendre isn't the guy come this Fall, does he try to transfer again to find a spot where he can play?

Default Re: Why Louisiana football's spring practice quarterback battle is far from settled

Zeon is the real deal. The question is gonna be if he has the patience to possibly wait behind a couple of guys ahead of him like Chandler had to do. I think for everything else, you're going to have to see what happens in the fall and how it all plays out to know any true answers.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Zeon is the real deal. The question is gonna be if he has the patience to possibly wait behind a couple of guys ahead of him like Chandler had to do. I think for everything else, you're going to have to see what happens in the fall and how it all plays out to know any true answers.
    Chriss won't have to wait he will play next year in packages. Probably the first true dual threat at QB since a healthy Broadway

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    I want to bump this up and get perspective from the handful of you who really follow this stuff in the Spring and know what you're talking about (Cajun4Life).

Three takeaways from reading this article, a surprisingly decent one by Tim Buckley.

Chandler Fields, Lewis’ backup last season, and Fresno State transfer Ben Wooldridge, UL’s No. 3 in 2021, are the front-runners who were getting first-team reps before Saturday’s first spring scrimmage.

If these two are the front-runners, then we're probably looking at a bit more of a vertical passing gameplan in the Fall, correct?

“Then you’ve got Zeon, who, truthfully, for a true freshman … has really surprised everybody in the building with his ability to pick it up and run with it. He’s got a really bright future ahead of him.”

Cajun coaches rave over Chriss’ talent.

“I’m really excited about Zeon Chriss,” Leger said. “I recruited (him). Built that relationship for a long time. Beat some really good schools to get him to stay here and be the guy.

“He’s uniquely talented. He’s wired the right way. He’s really intelligent. He understands what’s happening.”

Is this dude the real deal, as far as we can tell from his very limited time in collegiate practice? Or is this just coach-speak?

“Lance is so athletic he could play safety here. He could play wide receiver here, he could play quarterback here. He is one of the most uniquely built physical specimens I’ve ever seen.”

LeGendre was pretty highly recruited out of high school, and I remember some people being excited that he transferred here. Does he have a shot? If he's the guy, what are we expecting out of the offensive gameplan vs. if Fields or Wooldridge is the guy?

If LeGendre isn't the guy come this Fall, does he try to transfer again to find a spot where he can play?
    Just my opinion. Chandler will be QB1. The team and staff love his leadership. He is a much better passing QB than Lewis, not nearly the running threat. But he can move the chains and has pretty good pocket presence.

Zeon Chriss may very well be the most talented QB to wear a Cajun uniform ever. If his accuracy is there he will be very hard to keep off the field.

Legendre is exactly what they say he is, a great athlete. He plays QB.

Wooldridge is pretty good too. We are in great shape at QB.

There’s always been talk of Levi not being able to throw effectively over the middle from the pocket due to his height. Is Fields going to have a similar issue?

I'm hoping Wooldridge or Legrendre can win the battle I like bigger QB. I think Wooldridge is the real deal if we are looking for more of a pro style offense. But I'll support whomever wins the battle just make it an honest open competition since no one has extensive playing time with the Cajun Offense.

Does mike have his own system or is he going to mirror the napier system. That is important because if he has his own system no one has any playing time in his system and anyone should be able to win the job if they can learn his system.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Soldier View Post
    Does mike have his own system or is he going to mirror the napier system. That is important because if he has his own system no one has any playing time in his system and anyone should be able to win the job if they can learn his system.
    They have apparently changed some of the QB reads but offense won’t be noticeably different from fan pov.

Nothing against Woolridge, but he doesn’t fit the scheme… he is not mobile enough and I think people under estimate fields ability to move the chains with his feet. Fields is a shorter version of kenny Pickett with the moxy of Brett farvre… I think lance moves to another position and Chris’s will get some opportunity…. I truly believe it is fields job to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Just my opinion. Chandler will be QB1. The team and staff love his leadership. He is a much better passing QB than Lewis, not nearly the running threat. But he can move the chains and has pretty good pocket presence.

Zeon Chriss may very well be the most talented QB to wear a Cajun uniform ever. If his accuracy is there he will be very hard to keep off the field.

Legendre is exactly what they say he is, a great athlete. He plays QB.

Wooldridge is pretty good too. We are in great shape at QB.
    This means little, but I found it interesting that Field's father showed up at the Coaches Crawfish Boil.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    There’s always been talk of Levi not being able to throw effectively over the middle from the pocket due to his height. Is Fields going to have a similar issue?
    At 5'10", the answer is yes, he will.

Quote Originally Posted by mxpxfr690 View Post
    Nothing against Woolridge, but he doesn’t fit the scheme… he is not mobile enough and I think people under estimate fields ability to move the chains with his feet. Fields is a shorter version of kenny Pickett with the moxy of Brett farvre… I think lance moves to another position and Chris’s will get some opportunity…. I truly believe it is fields job to lose.
    Lance won't move to another position. He's lightning in a bottle, though he likely doesn't have some of the intangibles that Fields has, he can win games with talent alone. Fields will be more methodical and isn't the runner defenses will need to worry about. Sure, he can move chains but he can't take it the distance. It's going to come down to what Mike wants at that position. It may take a few games into the season before this choice to made. I'm sticking to my earlier position, LL2 will ultimately be the guy this season.

14. Default Re: Why Louisiana football's spring practice quarterback battle is far from settled

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Lance won't move to another position. He's lightning in a bottle, though he likely doesn't have some of the intangibles that Fields has, he can win games with talent alone. Fields will be more methodical and isn't the runner defenses will need to worry about. Sure, he can move chains but he can't take it the distance. It's going to come down to what Mike wants at that position. It may take a few games into the season before this choice to made. I'm sticking to my earlier position, LL2 will ultimately be the guy this season.
    ……Slick I first met him and did a lil Easton fight song for him….ran into him after a basketball game this year and he said he was ready….told him we wanted to see the guy in the video at City Park Stadium……think it made believers of both of us!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ……Slick I first met him and did a lil Easton fight song for him….ran into him after a basketball game this year and he said he was ready….told him we wanted to see the guy in the video at City Park Stadium……think it made believers of both of us!
    Coach, I'll be surprised and a little disappointed if we don't see him playing a lot this season.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information