Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Quarterback Battle

Default Re: Why Louisiana football's spring practice quarterback battle is far from settled

I'm really curious to see how this all plays out.

Chandler Fields has the most experience out of all the QBs, but he is only 5-11 so it would be hard for him to see over the line of scrimmage. I see him having the highest chance of starting, but if Wooldridge out-plays him in Spring Practice, he'll probably spend another year as a backup.

Ben Wooldridge had some playing time with Fresno State, and is somewhat taller than Fields, but has never played a snap with the Cajuns. I fear Wooldridge wouldn't know the offense very well, but he was here last year so I could be wrong about that.

Zy McDonald is only 5-9 and, just like Wooldridge, has no playing experience. Out of all the QBs, I see him and Herring getting the least amount of playing time. The way Coach Des described him makes me think he doesn't fit the starting job.

Zeon Chriss is brand new to the team, and I feel he has potential, but in my opinion he's going to need some time to mature and develop before he can get the starting job. Once he does, I think he could be a solid QB!

Lance LeGendre is a Maryland transfer who appears to be very athletic, according to what the coaches say. The way they described him makes me think he could end up switching positions at some point. Whether he does or not, I hope he gets some playing time.

I'm not going to talk about Hunter Herring, because he is injured and seems to have a very low chance of playing as of right now.

Overall, I think there is going to be some serious development needed before most of these QBs can start. A large majority of these guys have never played a snap for the Cajuns. I think Fields gets the job, but the fact that Wooldridge was mentioned so much in this article makes me think he has a chance to get the job too, but I still see Fields winning it. These are just my viewpoints, so feel free to add feedback about them.

Default Re: Why Louisiana football's spring practice quarterback battle is far from settled

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCajun View Post

Chandler Fields has the most experience out of all the QBs, but he is only 5-11 so it would be hard for him to see over the line of scrimmage. I see him having the highest chance of starting, but if Wooldridge out-plays him in Spring Practice, he'll probably spend another year as a backup.

Ben Wooldridge had some playing time with Fresno State, and is somewhat taller than Fields, but has never played a snap with the Cajuns. I fear Wooldridge wouldn't know the offense very well, but he was here last year so I could be wrong about that.

Zy McDonald is only 5-9 and, just like Wooldridge, has no playing experience. Out of all the QBs, I see him and Herring getting the least amount of playing time. The way Coach Des described him makes me think he doesn't fit the starting job.

Zeon Chriss is brand new to the team, and I feel he has potential, but in my opinion he's going to need some time to mature and develop before he can get the starting job. Once he does, I think he could be a solid QB!

Lance LeGendre is a Maryland transfer who appears to be very athletic, according to what the coaches say. The way they described him makes me think he could end up switching positions at some point. Whether he does or not, I hope he gets some playing time.

I'm not going to talk about Hunter Herring, because he is injured and seems to have a very low chance of playing as of right now.

Overall, I think there is going to be some serious development needed before most of these QBs can start. A large majority of these guys have never played a snap for the Cajuns. I think Fields gets the job, but the fact that Wooldridge was mentioned so much in this article makes me think he has a chance to get the job too, but I still see Fields winning it. These are just my viewpoints, so feel free to add feedback about them.
    Was it hard for Drew Brees to see over the line of scrimmage?

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Was it hard for Drew Brees to see over the line of scrimmage?
    I don’t think so.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Lance won't move to another position. He's lightning in a bottle, though he likely doesn't have some of the intangibles that Fields has, he can win games with talent alone. Fields will be more methodical and isn't the runner defenses will need to worry about. Sure, he can move chains but he can't take it the distance. It's going to come down to what Mike wants at that position. It may take a few games into the season before this choice to made. I'm sticking to my earlier position, LL2 will ultimately be the guy this season.
    From someone on the field yesterday. Chandler definitely throws the best ball by far. Talking to the receivers his ball comes in tight very easy to catch. They like him most. A few of the drops yesterday were balls that hit the receiver in the face mask, just came up on the so quickly like a dart and the are not used to that yet after playing with LL1. Chandler did struggle a time or 2 to see down the field, over the line, when protection broke down. Woolridge picked up the offense better than the rest but appears to have mechanical issues in his deliveries. LL2 very late in delivering the football appears to struggle mightily in reads. I don’t see him running the O unless Des goes to something like he and fenroy ran. Chriss is a special athlete and is gonna be damn good.

LL was 5'10" on a good day. Height of the QB is not my concern. Kyler Murray is shorter but I don't think it hampers him. Obviously not trying to draw a comparison but noting in today's game pocket passing has changed and they're finding ways to get these smaller mobile guys out of it more.

I don’t think so.
    So it will not be for Fields.

Yes. You are wrong about ben Woldridge. Word from with in is he picked up the offense very quickly and actually knows the play book better than Fields. He just hasn’t had as many game opportunities as chandler and not as good of a passer as chandler.

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    From someone on the field yesterday. Chandler definitely throws the best ball by far. Talking to the receivers his ball comes in tight very easy to catch. They like him most. A few of the drops yesterday were balls that hit the receiver in the face mask, just came up on the so quickly like a dart and the are not used to that yet after playing with LL1. Chandler did struggle a time or 2 to see down the field, over the line, when protection broke down. Woolridge picked up the offense better than the rest but appears to have mechanical issues in his deliveries. LL2 very late in delivering the football appears to struggle mightily in reads. I don’t see him running the O unless Des goes to something like he and fenroy ran. Chriss is a special athlete and is gonna be damn good.
    I don’t know if Lance will ever grasp the whole play book from what I am hearing. They need to put in a Zone read package much like des and fenroy ran with him and bring him in for a change of pace like Taysom did when Drew was with NOLA and healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    Yes. You are wrong about ben Woldridge. Word from with in is he picked up the offense very quickly and actually knows the play book better than Fields. He just hasn’t had as many game opportunities as chandler and not as good of a passer as chandler.
    Sorry but Ben ain’t the Guy…. It will be chandler or Zeon.

Quote Originally Posted by mxpxfr690 View Post
    O I never said he was. I’ve been in the fields camp mostly due to experience. Just saying when it comes to knowing and learning the play book Ben is ahead of all the rest. When it comes to throwing a football chandler is ahead of the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by mxpxfr690 View Post
    Right now it’s between Chandler and Ben. It’s a lot closer than everyone thinks

I am pulling for Chandler as he has the IT factor

How have the RBs and WRs looked in practice?

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Coach, I'll be surprised and a little disappointed if we don't see him playing a lot this season.
    Rick, Did Poche’ make you over drink Saturday so you couldn’t make softball on Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    Rick, Did Poche’ make you over drink Saturday so you couldn’t make softball on Sunday?
    Beau you know Rick? He could have joined us Sunday.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information