Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 12 classic Cajun restaurants in Houston

1. What a Downer 12 classic Cajun restaurants in Houston

12 classic Cajun restaurants in Houston

2. Default Re: Advertiser What is the LSU vs. Florida Gators baseball betting line, over/under for Friday

Can Houston's Louisiana Alumni Association get each of these restaurants to diplay some sort of Ragin' Cajuns sticker or paraphernalia?

Default Re: 12 classic Cajun restaurants in Houston

Pappadeaux’s should never be included with anything Cajun.

Fried seafood is ok, but their “Cajun” dishes like crawfish etoufee and gumbo are flat out bad.

Bayou Boys in Needville, Soul Food by Catherine and LePam’s are the Houston area places to go if you want legit South Louisiana cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post

Fried seafood is ok, but their “Cajun” dishes like crawfish etoufee and gumbo are flat out bad.

Bayou Boys in Needville, Soul Food by Catherine and LePam’s are the Houston area places to go if you want legit South Louisiana cooking.
    I’m guessing you still run? Since you seem to know way too much about food and beer, if you arent still running I cant imagine your weight. Just kidding, but thanks for the good analysis as always.

And Pappasito's is as authentic Mexican as Taco Bell. Either way, both restaurants are very successful. I will not eat at either but many people do.

I was talking to someone last night who is from Eunice and they were saying how good Eunice restaurant is in Houston. I'll have to try it out when I'm there.

What about the Ragin Cajun restaurant? Anyone ever been there? I’ll be in h-town next week with Yankees that are asking to taste ‘Cajun’ food. And yes, I’ve already told them that you can only really get that in Acadiana.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I was talking to someone last night who is from Eunice and they were saying how good Eunice restaurant is in Houston. I'll have to try it out when I'm there.
    Eunice is pretty darn good. Very upscale as opposed to down and dirty Cajuns dishes, but the owner (originally from Mowatta area) knows what he's doing.

Chicken and sausage gumbo and fried quail are the two best items I've had.

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    What about the Ragin Cajun restaurant? Anyone ever been there? I’ll be in h-town next week with Yankees that are asking to taste ‘Cajun’ food. And yes, I’ve already told them that you can only really get that in Acadiana.
    Shrimp gumbo at Ragin Cajun isn't bad. Owners are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

However, I'd take them to one of the three places above that I named (though none are in the heart of Houston) if you want to treat somebody to real South Louisiana cooking. LePam's is more Creole than Cajuns, but still very good.

If wanting a place inside the 610 loop in Houston, and something really nice but has that Cajunish flavor, Eugene's is excellent. In fact, though the place is labeled as "Texas Gulf Coast Cuisine", their seafood gumbo would compete with any of the Lafayette restaurants.

10. Default Re: 12 classic Cajun restaurants in Houston

Shrimp gumbo at Ragin Cajun isn't bad. Owners are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

However, I'd take them to one of the three places above that I named (though none are in the heart of Houston) if you want to treat somebody to real South Louisiana cooking. LePam's is more Creole than Cajuns, but still very good.

If wanting a place inside the 610 loop in Houston, and something really nice but has that Cajunish flavor, Eugene's is excellent. In fact, though the place is labeled as "Texas Gulf Coast Cuisine", their seafood gumbo would compete with any of the Lafayette restaurants.
    …the Ragin’ Cajun has been our choice for about 40 plus years…all the coaches and so many backers eat there…. Luke Mandola has helped all our programs for years and has UL stuff all around the restaurant!

The following is asked in all sincerity (especially if one is not in the area)
    Are the various iterations of the Pappas brand really that bad? Or just not “authentic”.
    Conceivably something could be unauthentic yet still good?

I'll have to go check out Bayou Boys, its right around the corner.sort of. Not really.

Another one that would never make a list like this but is legit: Atchafalaya Crawfish in Pearland. You can't beat to-go boiled crawfish out of an abandoned gas station.

Quote Originally Posted by RougaWhite&Blue View Post
    The following is asked in all sincerity (especially if one is not in the area)
    Are the various iterations of the Pappas brand really that bad? Or just not “authentic”.
    Conceivably something could be unauthentic yet still good?
    I don't think any of the Pappa's places are bad. Some folks regard Pappa's Steakhouse as one of the top steakhouses in all of the Houston area. It was ok the only time I've eaten there. Pappa's BBQ isn't bad either, but when you've got Feges's, Truth and Pit Room all inside the loop, then you add Corkscrew and Gatlin's, Pappa's suddenly is underwhelming.

I probably like Pappasitos best out of all the Pappa's places. Feel like I get overall best bang for my buck there. Pappadeaux's is pretty satisfying with the fried gator, fried catfish and fried softshell crabs. However, the Cajun type dishes they make are pretty bad. Gumbo isn't close, and the crawfish etouffee is crawfish in a sauce, served on top of DIRTY RICE. I hate that Texans have done that with crawfish etouffee. Boudreaux & Thibadoux's and Razoos do the same dumb thing.

Thank you for clarifying!

It is so sad Credeurs in Pasadena closed down. My gosh that was good. My stomach had a love affair with their food.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information