Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Podcast: Dr. Bryan Maggard (3-24-22)

Default Re: Podcast: Dr. Bryan Maggard (3-24-22)

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I think it's possible it works out that way. But what if Brown decides to leave before the season for the G-League? He has played 3 seasons of college basketball and may decide he would rather play in the NBA developmental league. It that actually plays out, then we have a worst case scenario taking place anyway. But a new coach could begin the process of rebuilding the program this season instead of kicking the can down the road for another year.

Now I haven't heard that Brown is actually leaving the program, but my understanding is there is some discussion of that possibility with outside people interested in bringing him into the league.
    Brown could certainly play in the G-League or professionally overseas right now and if he decides to leave the program at this point those would be his options. Keep in mind he is actually 4 years removed from high school, he sat one year at Arizona. When he transferred in last year I remember looking it up and 22 of the 24 guys on the McDonald's All America team with him were either already in the NBA or had a cup of coffee in the NBA and were now overseas. I think Brown and Quinerly at Alabama were the only 2 from that team still playing in college last year.

Also Akwuba, Williams, and Dalcourt are all in the same boat with a previous transfer and already playing 4 years. Under current rules if they wish to play next year in college next year it would have to be here unless a waiver was involved.

Quote Originally Posted by BBOYD View Post
    Numbers don’t Lie!!!

Jessie Evans > Bob Marlin
    now this is a good debate. was Jessie a better coach or had better players/team. Jessie recruited a full roster of competitive beast year in and year out. they didnt back down from any challenge. matter fact they made up things to feel disrespected about.

Quote Originally Posted by Balanced_view View Post
    spend any time listening to the complaints and checked out people with the basketball program, and I have to seriously ask, how much worst can it get? we seem to be in bottom of the barrel situation now, another year wont kill whats already weakened. any excitment/gains from a coaching change can still happen next year, the gamble is with a decent to successful final year, there maybe better momentum and energy next off season.
    No AD retains someone if they are in a "bottom of the barrel" with said coach. If its that low why retain them? I don't understand your argument and there is plenty of potential turnover that can still come from this team even if he stays which can negatively affect the potential for success next year which is exactly what Maggard said he was trying to preserve.

4. Default Re: Podcast: Dr. Bryan Maggard (3-24-22)

The man made the decision he felt was best for Louisiana. Let’s see how it plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    No AD retains someone if they are in a "bottom of the barrel" with said coach. If its that low why retain them? I don't understand your argument and there is plenty of potential turnover that can still come from this team even if he stays which can negatively affect the potential for success next year which is exactly what Maggard said he was trying to preserve.
    At this point everyone knows why the move to keep him was made. It is a gamble, that either will work out as intended or it wont. It most like will not make sense to many on a level that would have made the many people take the same action if they were in charge. my point was this, as bad as people say it is now, it wont get considerably worst next season in a big picture view. for some individuals, it may seem worst to them and we should mostly agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    The man made the decision he felt was best for Louisiana. Let’s see how it plays out.
    Snag you some tickets next year and come see how it plays out with us!

Lame duck coach is the worst situation this program can put itself in… good luck adding to this average roster with a coach on his swan song.. this is just another year gone before we can do something great again In basketball.

8. Default Re: Podcast: Dr. Bryan Maggard (3-24-22)

Lesser of two unfortunates.

Lame duck is better than same duck

9. Default Re: Podcast: Dr. Bryan Maggard (3-24-22)

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Lesser of two unfortunates.

Lame duck is better than same duck
    How, you figure?

10. Default Re: Podcast: Dr. Bryan Maggard (3-24-22)

How, you figure?
    Lame duck has an inevitable new beginning.

Same duck is perpetual extensions

11. Default Re: Podcast: Dr. Bryan Maggard (3-24-22)

Quote Originally Posted by Balanced_view View Post
    spend any time listening to the complaints and checked out people with the basketball program, and I have to seriously ask, how much worst can it get? we seem to be in bottom of the barrel situation now, another year wont kill whats already weakened. any excitment/gains from a coaching change can still happen next year, the gamble is with a decent to successful final year, there maybe better momentum and energy next off season.
    Spoken like a person who’s never owned a business.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    Snag you some tickets next year and come see how it plays out with us!
    With us? Sounds like yall are inviting him to join the empty arena.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Spoken like a person who’s never owned a business.
    Well my comments are not about counting pennies. I dont deny there can and maybe some loss associated with this decision. If i was judging this strictly on business, the entire deal changes, a business should have made the change the moment revenues started being affected, which was long time ago. You know this is about much more than business or if someone has owned a business before.

Making what you believe is the least worst decision is no the same as making the BEST decision. Maggard made what he perceived to be the least worst decision which was also the least difficult from his view point. It was also the laziest decision he could have made. That least worst decision could become a lot worse. And when you run a competitive program with that POV the odds are it will become a LOT worse before it gets better, IF it ever gets better.

I've listened to the Matlin apologists use the excuse that Marlin graduates his players & runs a clean program, so that is a good enough reason to keep him. My question to those people is what NCAA rule forbids recruiting decent young men to play sports who are also uber competitive on the court/field that will win you conference championships & represent your university proudly? Is there a rule which forbids this?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information