Page 18 of 45 FirstFirst . 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 . LastLast

Thread: Marlin Set To Return ( Retaining Players Paramount )

1. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Quote Originally Posted by SMD7636 View Post
    I hope Dr. Maggard’s explains his reasoning for keeping Coach Marlin when he doesn’t even meet the standards as outlined in the athletic department’s strategic plan. My only hope, if we don’t hear anything, is that we are waiting until 4/1/22 because it’s business not personal.
    The AD isn’t likely to explain a non action. No extension, no pink slip no news.

Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

In thinking about this more, I've come to the sad conclusion that I don't think any move will be made and that leaves me to ask the question to some of those guys who are more in the know about this situation about the general thought that this year was going to have to be a good year for Marlin to stay. I remember Cajunsmike saying that the overall sentiment from Martin Hall was that we had to see significant results this year or else but a .500 season both regular season and in conference are anything but that. That leads me to believe that the only reason he will be retained is because he won 3 games in the conference tournament? I'm guessing that's what we're reduced to these days.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    In thinking about this more, I've come to the sad conclusion that I don't think any move will be made and that leaves me to ask the question to some of those guys who are more in the know about this situation about the general thought that this year was going to have to be a good year for Marlin to stay. I remember Cajunsmike saying that the overall sentiment from Martin Hall was that we had to see significant results this year or else but a .500 season both regular season and in conference are anything but that. That leads me to believe that the only reason he will be retained is because he won 3 games in the conference tournament? I'm guessing that's what we're reduced to these days.
    You may be correct, but not just for that one reason. Reasons we are not privy to. I’m at the point don’t care about complaining much anymore about this glue horse situation. Maggard will deal with it at some point unless Bob steps aside. Maybe Marlin is planning a fare well tour next year, maybe he’s leaving, maybe he really delivers next year. Nobody knows.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    The money is available, that's not a question.
    Napier 2 mill, Dez 700K. Oh yes the money is there. Any idea what Marlin's buyout is.

I heard two things: He has one year left on his contract and two, I read his buyout is zero after March 31 of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cajunfan View Post
    Napier 2 mill, Dez 700K. Oh yes the money is there. Any idea what Marlin's buyout is.

I heard two things: He has one year left on his contract and two, I read his buyout is zero after March 31 of this year.
    Foote got it wrong it's 150k after April 1

Why is Men's basketball held to a different standard than Football and Baseball? 1 NCAA appearance in 12 years. If Football doesn't even make a bowl game now the coach should be on the hot seat. If Football doesn't even compete for conference championships then the coach would be on the hot seat. If Baseball doesn't make the NCAA's and compete for conference championships then the coach is on the hot seat.
    I just don't get it.

7. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    Why is Men's basketball held to a different standard than Football and Baseball? 1 NCAA appearance in 12 years. If Football doesn't even make a bowl game now the coach should be on the hot seat. If Football doesn't even compete for conference championships then the coach would be on the hot seat. If Baseball doesn't make the NCAA's and compete for conference championships then the coach is on the hot seat.
    I just don't get it.
    Join the club. It's a big club.

8. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

No money. We operated at a huge deficit the past two years.

9. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

There is less than no money right now.

The clearest place to save at the moment is the MBB HC position.

Quote Originally Posted by Atown cajun View Post
    No money. We operated at a huge deficit the past two years.
    Check your facility fees and seating donations, and RCAF money. The University Foundation must be reimbursed. We can not operate at a deficit. The audit shows we were $800K in the red, it must be filled by additional funds from another source. The funds are available from RCAF to pay the $150K buyout.

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    I just don't get it.
    A few thoughts:

First of all, making a bowl game is not a high bar anymore. Finishing at .500 is all you need.

Second, I’m pretty sure that over the last 12 years we have the second best conference win % of any other SBC school. I don’t know how to define “compete for a conference championship,” but what can say that if we don’t do that, neither does any other school besides maybe Ga State.

And making a regional in baseball is much, much easier with our conference and our location. In basketball every school in the conference and in the area sucks azz. In baseball, we have dozens of top 100 schools nearby that play us regularly. It makes a huge difference.

12. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    A few thoughts:

First of all, making a bowl game is not a high bar anymore. Finishing at .500 is all you need.

Second, I’m pretty sure that over the last 12 years we have the second best conference win % of any other SBC school. I don’t know how to define “compete for a conference championship,” but what can say that if we don’t do that, neither does any other school besides maybe Ga State.

And making a regional in baseball is much, much easier with our conference and our location. In basketball every school in the conference and in the area sucks azz. In baseball, we have dozens of top 100 schools nearby that play us regularly. It makes a huge difference.
    Who… Who wants to tell him?

A few thoughts:

I may be wrong here but I think what he's saying is basketball needs to be and should be held to a much higher standard than it has been over the last 12 years . 1 NCAA tourney appearance in 12 years is totally and completely unacceptable. No one cares if you win 27 games and no one cares if you go to these low level post season tournaments. If you don't win your conference and make it to the big dance the rest doesn't matter. Every year each team's goal must be to win their conference and make the tournament. Nothing else matters.

A few thoughts:

I’m literally laughing to the point of getting a bellyache. Thanks rebel

Since so much emphasis is placed on who is Head Coach as it relates to ticket sales and possibly even donations, can it be assumed that if a program held on to a coach after knowing they were guilty of NCAA violations, could all the ticket sales and donations that continued up until the time of termination be considered acquired via fraud?

Page 18 of 45 FirstFirst . 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 . LastLast

Thread Information