Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 32 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast

Thread: Marlin Set To Return ( Retaining Players Paramount )

Default Re: Marlin Set To Return ( Retaining Players Paramount )

Quote Originally Posted by NillyBapier View Post
    Because you are not going to get a top tier WBB coach to come here for WBB. I’m talking about a Maulky, a U Conn, …. type coach one of the perineal powers in the womens game to jump over to the mens side. In full disclosure this is not my original idea, I heard Kim Maulky in an interview saying this needs to and is going to happen some day. At this point why not be the first to experiment?
    No thanks.

I’ll be interested to see if our assistants stick around. Players are one thing because they can return regardless of the coach. How ever, if I’m an assistant, I know today Im most likely out of a job sticking around until next year.

Because you are not going to get a top tier WBB coach to come here for WBB. I’m talking about a Maulky, a U Conn, …. type coach one of the perineal powers in the womens game to jump over to the mens side. In full disclosure this is not my original idea, I heard Kim Maulky in an interview saying this needs to and is going to happen some day. At this point why not be the first to experiment?
    I don't mind this. Instant notoriety. Sign a 4 year contract and if it doesn't work out what have you really lost. I'm sure we'd sell a bunch of season tickets because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    I don't mind this. Instant notoriety. Sign a 4 year contract and if it doesn't work out what have you really lost. I'm sure we'd sell a bunch of season tickets because of it.
    You started hitting the angels envy early this morning??

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    You started hitting the angels envy early this morning??
    LOL, but really, what would you lose?

6. Default Re: Marlin Set To Return ( Retaining Players Paramount )

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    LOL, but really, what would you lose?
    That’s what Maggard said about letting The Big Fish finish out his contract . . .

We couldn’t come close to the salary of the top womens coaches.

8. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

If the ability to retain players was a reason for retaining a coach, Marlin would have been released years ago.

He has never shown the ability to retain players.

"Never stop recruiting"

While I wouldn't have a problem with this it is still not a reality. Mulkey makes $2.5 million this season and Geno makes just shy of $2 million per year! We've already shown we're not ready to go full commitment to MBB so there would be no way we could ever compete for those types of coaches, even in the women's game. They are also given every resource they need to be successful. Maggard is just not ready to do that for anybody.

1 NCAA appearance in 51 years should tell you the overwhelming majority of UL supporters don’t care about WBB. UCONN in the championship game last night did the one thing that hurts the credibility for the sport. A single digit quarter performance by a nationally known brand. Nobody wants to watch that kind of play.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    While I wouldn't have a problem with this it is still not a reality. Mulkey makes $2.5 million this season and Geno makes just shy of $2 million per year! We've already shown we're not ready to go full commitment to MBB so there would be no way we could ever compete for those types of coaches, even in the women's game. They are also given every resource they need to be successful. Maggard is just not ready to do that for anybody.
    300+ D1 basketball programs. Our operating budget is in the top 1/3rd and our coaches salary is in the top 1/3rd of all 350ish D1 programs.

I would say we are investing appropriately. Unfortunately we have not seen the results we expect with the current funding.

Georgia State just made what I think will be a good hire.

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    Georgia State just made what I think will be a good hire.
    Is it Hayes if so he was a finalists for the uga job. That's one hell of a hire for Gast

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Is it Hayes if so he was a finalists for the uga job. That's one hell of a hire for Gast
    Oh and he just won the NIT

Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 32 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast

Thread Information