Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Marlin Set To Return ( Retaining Players Paramount )

Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Missouri has a great basketball tradition?
    They've been very good at times Zephyr. They have had 17 NCAA tournament appearances since 1990. So yes, they have a good MBB tradition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missou...27s_basketball

2. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

I share that frustration and sentiment also. I try to remind myself our athletics department needs us as fans to support all sports through thick and thin…. But MBB has gotten hard to be excited about the last few years.

It’s frustrating because we have some talented teams each year, just can’t piece it together as a program with any level of consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    I’ve lost so much interest in UL basketball that if Marlin returns again, I’ll likely never return to the Cajun Dome for bball. I haven’t watched a game in 2 years and I have found a lot better ways to spend my time.

I’ve lost so much interest in UL basketball that if Marlin returns again, I’ll likely never return to the Cajun Dome for bball. I haven’t watched a game in 2 years and I have found a lot better ways to spend my time.
    I've heard nothing directly from Dr. Maggard, but I have spoken to several RCAF board members and it's their opinion Coach Marlin will be back for another season. Neither person mentioned the major concern is players leaving the program, although it may be a consideration. Their opinions are that the administration does not want to spend money on buying out a coach. In other words this decision is probably coming from Martin Hall if that is the case in my opinion. I have no doubt that these two people are in the know to a certain degree since they have donated millions over the years to this program.

If they keep Marlin it's unfortunate but not unexpected. We have maxed out our fan base in football and have an unproven head coach at the helm. Baseball and softball are struggling to get back to dominance. Basketball is a complete after thought. We missed our opportunity back when.... it was a nice run.

At least tennis is doing us proud.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I've heard nothing directly from Dr. Maggard, but I have spoken to several RCAF board members and it's their opinion Coach Marlin will be back for another season. Neither person mentioned the major concern is players leaving the program, although it may be a consideration. Their opinions are that the administration does not want to spend money on buying out a coach. In other words this decision is probably coming from Martin Hall if that is the case in my opinion. I have no doubt that these two people are in the know to a certain degree since they have donated millions over the years to this program.
    In the end not paying a buy out will cost them more.

UL basketball is what made me a UL fan but i won’t spend time/money, to watch a product I no longer enjoy. If he comes back, hopefully they win but I won’t watch regardless.

In the end not paying a buy out will cost them more.

UL basketball is what made me a UL fan but i won’t spend time/money, to watch a product I no longer enjoy. If he comes back, hopefully they win but I won’t watch regardless.
    You best chance to make a statement is move all your money from the general fund and donate it to specific sports.

They've been very good at times Zephyr. They have had 17 NCAA tournament appearances since 1990. So yes, they have a good MBB tradition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missou...27s_basketball
    Yeah, I looked them up already. I mean, I'm not going to argue the merits of Missouri basketball but it's not like they have a legacy he failed to live up to. 2 regular season titles and 4 conference tournament titles in that 30+ year span you mentioned and a program winning percentage equal to Marlin's career percentage but we want him gone. I'd be happy to have them at least interview Cuonzo and see where it leads us.

I thought the buyout went to $0 after April 1? No?

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Yeah, I looked them up already. I mean, I'm not going to argue the merits of Missouri basketball but it's not like they have a legacy he failed to live up to. 2 regular season titles and 4 conference tournament titles in that 30+ year span you mentioned and a program winning percentage equal to Marlin's career percentage but we want him gone. I'd be happy to have them at least interview Cuonzo and see where it leads us.
    Well, when your fanbase pays what they pay for tickets and ancillary expenses, and have at least good success in the SEC, They have a standard of expectations, I think that is a big difference than our program. There is no standard of expectations for results in our program.

10. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Well, when your fanbase pays what they pay for tickets and ancillary expenses, and have at least good success in the SEC, They have a standard of expectations, I think that is a big difference than our program. There is no standard of expectations for results in our program.
    ……QUESTION……If Marlin stays and if he would win and goes to the tourney (which he came close to doing) Will his contract be automatically extended and will he receive bonuses? what if it is terrible from next years start, can we let him go?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ……QUESTION……If Marlin stays and if he would win and goes to the tourney (which he came close to doing) Will his contract be automatically extended and will he receive bonuses? what if it is terrible from next years start, can we let him go?
    I was told no, that clause is not in his contract. As per Dr. Maggard, there are bonuses that kick in for him and his staff if they win the conference tournament, and earn an NCAA bid.

Like I said in my earlier post, it is clear that the athletic department isn’t willing or able to invest in Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Like I said in my earlier post, it is clear that the athletic department isn’t willing or able to invest in Basketball.
    I think there is a difference in saying you are not going to do something when the money is available and deciding that money could be better spent elsewhere. I don't agree with it, but I don't get a vote.

I think there is a difference in saying you are not going to do something when the money is available and deciding that money could be better spent elsewhere. I don't agree with it, but I don't get a vote.
    I agree. Maggard has limited resources. He decided to dedicate an outsized share of them to Football. It is what it is.

The selection committee must have made a mistake hopefully Maggard calls to clear up the error.

Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 ... LastLast

Thread Information