Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Marlin Set To Return ( Retaining Players Paramount )

Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    1 out of every 3 years sounds realistic until you think about the mathematical absurdity of it. This is going to be a 14 team, one-bid conference. Realistically, maybe one team out of 14 could accomplish making the NCAAs 1 out of every 3 years.

And I'm just going to ask the question -- why would that team be us? Why should we be so exceptional? We don't have a higher budget, we don't have better basketball facilities, we don't have better fan support (butts in seats and donations,) and we don't have a recent winning history.

Napier won because he is Napier. But he also won because he got the full weight and focus of the athletic administration behind him. Napier had a near unlimited budget to set up the program the way he wanted it. Basketball has been an afterthought since Hud showed up and it shows. Heck, basketball has been an afterthought for the entire conference and it shows. As long as we continue to treat basketball like a red-headed stepchild I honestly can't put high expectations on our program.
    Reb, I hope senior athletic department administrators will read your post. You've captured fan apathy towards the men's basketball program. Why try, why care, why us, we can't afford it, etc. That's fair based upon the program's trends. I have apathy, too. But we don't have to accept the way things are, is how it will be. Men's basketball is a clear second place to college football in the hearts and minds of majority of most fans. Still, its been proven winning basketball making the NCAA's with some regularity brings a boatload of benefits, publicity, increased student applicants to universities, more donors, etc. The trajectory of the program, which has a proud history, can change for the better. It will be interesting to learn whether or not our leadership decides to make a change after April 1st or if CBM will take a bow and retire.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    Wow, I am sure Dr. Maggard will consider this in his decision! Your attendance at 5-10 games would certainly be a boon for the program.

As I previously stated, I think Coach Marlin's tenure has ran its course, but Dr. Maggard may see it differently. I hope if Marlin does return, the players he currently has will return and make next season interesting.
    I think you missed the point genius. Try again.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Ultimately the man in question stated we have the nicest gym in the league, and we’re everyone’s Super Bowl. He’s the person who confirmed that our expectations should be through the roof.
    This!!!!

Well, we still don't know what's going to happen. But IF a change is coming, Missouri fired Cuonzo Martin today. I'd hire that dude in a second.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    Well, we still don't know what's going to happen. But IF a change is coming, Missouri fired Cuonzo Martin today. I'd hire that dude in a second.
    He's has a great reputation as a man and coach. But if you can't win constantly at Missouri, a program with a great MBB tradition, I'm not interested in him.

Marlin may be heading to LSU .. lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    Marlin may be heading to LSU .. lmao
    Just like I’ve been saying since the night of the NIT against the tigers….FK WILL WADE

HAHAHAHAHA

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    Just like I’ve been saying since the night of the NIT against the tigers….FK WILL WADE

HAHAHAHAHA
    When I got the notification I made sure to sit down, because I wanted to enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    Why? Just curious

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    Why? Just curious
    This is a quote from an MSM story about the firing.

"But his time at Missouri did not go as hoped. The Tigers made just two NCAA appearances in five seasons and lost first-round games both times, including last season. His teams were 78-77 overall and Missouri was 12-21 this season, just 5-13 and 12th place in the 14-team Southeastern Conference."

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    He's has a great reputation as a man and coach. But if you can't win constantly at Missouri, a program with a great MBB tradition, I'm not interested in him.
    Missouri has a great basketball tradition?

Quote Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
    We kicked this around at least a couple years ago. What is the measurement of success for the men's basketball program? Seems like the consensus was make the NCAA's at least every three years was reasonable expectation in a one bid conference. We've had spurts of success here and there making the NCAA's but never that frequency in last 25 years. But if GA St. can do it, (4 bids since 2015) dog gone it we should be able to do that here, too. IMO, we shouldn't settle for anything less.
    Success starts with the building of a program. As you build it, expectations naturally evolve and expand as you hopefully really build something noteworthy. I'd start with recruiting and winning conference titles. Not tournament titles necessarily although that would be the obvious cherry on top.

By having a program built to win consistently and win championships consistently, you are building a team that should be able to perform in the postseason. While NCAA tournament appearances are great, I'd rather build a team to win all season rather than just get hot in the conference tournament. That 17-18 team we had here was a great team. I loved watching those guys play and for those that constantly say that basketball is dead in the south, even with a slow start attendance wise we averaged 4,200 people per game. While it didn't like we wanted, that is the type of year that you strive for in building a program that people will follow.

I hope Dr. Maggard’s explains his reasoning for keeping Coach Marlin when he doesn’t even meet the standards as outlined in the athletic department’s strategic plan. My only hope, if we don’t hear anything, is that we are waiting until 4/1/22 because it’s business not personal.

I’ve lost so much interest in UL basketball that if Marlin returns again, I’ll likely never return to the Cajun Dome for bball. I haven’t watched a game in 2 years and I have found a lot better ways to spend my time.

Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 ... LastLast

Thread Information