Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Marlin Set To Return ( Retaining Players Paramount )

Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    1 out of every 3 years sounds realistic until you think about the mathematical absurdity of it. This is going to be a 14 team, one-bid conference. Realistically, maybe one team out of 14 could accomplish making the NCAAs 1 out of every 3 years.

And I'm just going to ask the question -- why would that team be us? Why should we be so exceptional? We don't have a higher budget, we don't have better basketball facilities, we don't have better fan support (butts in seats and donations,) and we don't have a recent winning history.

Napier won because he is Napier. But he also won because he got the full weight and focus of the athletic administration behind him. Napier had a near unlimited budget to set up the program the way he wanted it. Basketball has been an afterthought since Hud showed up and it shows. Heck, basketball has been an afterthought for the entire conference and it shows. As long as we continue to treat basketball like a red-headed stepchild I honestly can't put high expectations on our program.
    You say that with absolute certainty, this is a one bid league. How do you know going forward with the additions of Old Dominion and James Madison it will remain so going forward? The same question applies to baseball now with the additions of four new programs. This conference has the opportunity to build it's brand going forward just like it has and continues to do with football. We should do our part in improving our own program and brand in MBB.

If we aren't committed to that goal, then don't spending the money in your basketball operating budget and stop paying a coach $600K. You treat it just like soccer or golf.

Too many people have stated for years, we can't do this and we can't do that. Those same people said we would never be Top 25 football program. If you are saying we can't, before we even try then we've already loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    GAST plays in a rec room on the second floor of a high rise. CD blows away every of gym in the sbc outside of ODU and JMU. Basketball Also works out in the nicest weight rooms in the country. Add the fact Marlin is the highest paid coach in the leauge.
    It really doesn't. The Cajundome is a 35yr old arena that is poorly designed and terrible for college basketball. We all know this.

Ga State is almost finished with their $85 million arena.
    Name:  GSU-NE-1_v2.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  603.6 KB

Troy:
    Name:  zDSC_8514.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  418.9 KB
    Name:  DJG9Hrt.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  327.2 KB

UT Arlington:
    Name:  about-the-center.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  390.1 KB
    Name:  college_park_featured.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  133.0 KB

And while other schools might not have fancy new arenas like those three, they still have arenas that are better than ours because they were actually designed for college basketball and create a better atmosphere. App State for example:
    Name:  HolmesCrowd_copy.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  744.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

1 out of every 3 years sounds realistic until you think about the mathematical absurdity of it. This is going to be a 14 team, one-bid conference. Realistically, maybe one team out of 14 could accomplish making the NCAAs 1 out of every 3 years.

And I'm just going to ask the question -- why would that team be us? Why should we be so exceptional? We don't have a higher budget, we don't have better basketball facilities, we don't have better fan support (butts in seats and donations,) and we don't have a recent winning history.

Napier won because he is Napier. But he also won because he got the full weight and focus of the athletic administration behind him. Napier had a near unlimited budget to set up the program the way he wanted it. Basketball has been an afterthought since Hud showed up and it shows. Heck, basketball has been an afterthought for the entire conference and it shows. As long as we continue to treat basketball like a red-headed stepchild I honestly can't put high expectations on our program.
    Ah, the culture of "can't"

Basketball has the golden opportunity to be the exception in this conference. Look no further than softball which does it every year. Marlin is the highest paid coach, we have the nicest arena in pretty much the entire conference, and the basketball players use the same facilities that Napier was given. And speaking of Napier, look at where football was when he took over: 3 straight losing seasons with an apathetic fanbase. I'm seeing a similar trend here. Heck, I remember people being mad we got rid of Hud because of what he did his first four seasons. Didn't stop us from hiring someone who brought us to a Top 15 national ranking. We can't admit defeat if we don't try to begin with.

As for attendance, you don't draw attraction with a stale product. And what's hilarious is that there's people now who are bragging about us having the highest attendance in the SB right now even though those aren't rear ends in the seats. And as far as not having recent success, look no further than the leaders of this program who have been around for 12 years.

Until we actually preach a standard in Men's Basketball, we will continue to finish 5-8th in this conference with a fanbase that will consider it an afterthought.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    You say that with absolute certainty, this is a one bid league. How do you know going forward with the additions of Old Dominion and James Madison it will remain so going forward? The same question applies to baseball now with the additions of four new programs. This conference has the opportunity to build it's brand going forward just like it has and continues to do with football. We should do our part in improving our own program and brand in MBB.

If we aren't committed to that goal, then don't spending the money in your basketball operating budget and stop paying a coach $600K. You treat it just like soccer or golf.

Too many people have stated for years, we can't do this and we can't do that. Those same people said we would never be Top 25 football program. If you are saying we can't, before we even try then we've already loss.
    Y'all are so bad at putting words in my mouth. It sure seems intentional, but let me be perfectly clear:

I NEVER SAID WE CAN'T. I said it takes more than a coach to do it.

Apps arena is just plain awefull..nice exterior, horrible interior

6. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Apps arena is just plain awefull..nice exterior, horrible interior
    Don’t let the truth get in the way of the narrative. He also listed a venue that hasn’t even been built yet. It’s lunacy.

It really doesn't. The Cajundome is a 35yr old arena that is poorly designed and terrible for college basketball. We all know this.

Ga State is almost finished with their $85 million arena.
    Name:  GSU-NE-1_v2.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  603.6 KB

Troy:
    Name:  zDSC_8514.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  418.9 KB
    Name:  DJG9Hrt.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  327.2 KB

UT Arlington:
    Name:  about-the-center.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  390.1 KB
    Name:  college_park_featured.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  133.0 KB

And while other schools might not have fancy new arenas like those three, they still have arenas that are better than ours because they were actually designed for college basketball and create a better atmosphere. App State for example:
    Name:  HolmesCrowd_copy.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  744.4 KB
    Uta is gone and GAST is still playing on the second floor rec room. when a player is getting recruited they don't care if it was built for basketball they want it to be a nice arena

8. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Ultimately the man in question stated we have the nicest gym in the league, and we’re everyone’s Super Bowl. He’s the person who confirmed that our expectations should be through the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Ultimately the man in question stated we have the nicest gym in the league, and we’re everyone’s Super Bowl. He’s the person who confirmed that our expectations should be through the roof.
    That season after the 27 win team was rough. We’d get the doors blown off and Bob would talk about us like teams were prepping for Duke.

10. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Bobby mouth has written many NSF checks his teams haven’t been able to cash.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    That season after the 27 win team was rough. We’d get the doors blown off and Bob would talk about us like teams were prepping for Duke.
    I think it came off more is arrogance unfortunately. I remember every time we lost a conference game we would hear excuses such as “Well we won 27 games last year so….” Not really the smartest thing to say when you’re losing to inferior competition.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    I think it came off more is arrogance unfortunately. I remember every time we lost a conference game we would hear excuses such as “Well we won 27 games last year so….” Not really the smartest thing to say when you’re losing to interior competition.
    Arkansas state looks at our gym and are jealous. Only reason they played better than us.

Y'all are so bad at putting words in my mouth. It sure seems intentional, but let me be perfectly clear:

I NEVER SAID WE CAN'T. I said it takes more than a coach to do it.
    I'm going to guess you've never visited most of these facilities. Arkansas State had a track around it, looks like a high school gym. The photo of the new Georgia State arena is nice, but it isn't what they are playing in, they are in a campus gymnasium. But guess what, that hasn't stopped them from winning championships in the SBC and playing in the NCAA Tourney.

And then, there’s ULM’s Faunt-Ewing…

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    And then, there’s ULM’s Faunt-Ewing…
    And the second most winning coach in SBC history, Coach Richard.

Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 ... LastLast

Thread Information