Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Marlin Set To Return ( Retaining Players Paramount )

Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux View Post
    We caught lightning in a bottle with Billy. He was able to develop players without being gutted every year by transfers. Times have changed quickly. The top G5 schools are nothing but feeders to P5 schools now. The current model is unsustainable in college football. We'll be a great middle of the road football team as Mike develops talent, but we won't keep top talent for 3 years anymore. They'll transfer to bigger opportunities.

That's why it's easier to pool most of our NIL resources into 5-10 basketball players as compared to 25-30 football players.

Much cheaper travel, and flexibility within the budget. You never have to worry about weather conditions or competition with LSU football for fans. We could be the premier college basketball destination for Louisiana college basketball players. Think along the lines of Marquette in Wisconsin, Butler in Indiana,Creighton in Nebraska, Baylor in Texas.
    No

We kicked this around at least a couple years ago. What is the measurement of success for the men's basketball program? Seems like the consensus was make the NCAA's at least every three years was reasonable expectation in a one bid conference. We've had spurts of success here and there making the NCAA's but never that frequency in last 25 years. But if GA St. can do it, (4 bids since 2015) dog gone it we should be able to do that here, too. IMO, we shouldn't settle for anything less.

Coaching prospects?

4. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Coaching prospects?
    There is no opening . . .

We can dream...

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    We did not “catch lightening in a bottle” with Napier. We hired a legit up and coming young star with connections, relationships and pedigree.

It can be done again. In more sports than just FB.
    I hate that stupid over used cliche'. Doug Flutie caught lightning in a bottle on his Hail Mary play in college. Frank Reich may have caught lightning in a bottle against the Houston Oilers when they played the Bills in that 35-3 comeback. No one catches lightning in a bottle for three straight years. It's the product of great organizational skills, people skills & a lot of hard work by a lot of people.

7. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    I hate that stupid over used cliche'. Doug Flutie caught lightning in a bottle on his Hail Mary play in college. Frank Reich may have caught lightning in a bottle against the Houston Oilers when they played the Bills in that 35-3 comeback. No one catches lightning in a bottle for three straight years. It's the product of great organizational skills, people skills & a lot of hard work by a lot of people.
    It might have been a whole case of bottles . . .

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    With you J. The way I saw this team gel down the stretch they could be very special next year if they come out the gate playing that way. I think Bob deserves to coach that team. SAVE BOB MARLIN
    It's. Always. Next. Year.

Jay forgot to mention the 1 tournament appearance in 12 years and dropping attendance. And once again, basketball is not an afterthought in the deep south. Attendance numbers in many programs. albeit most SEC schools, is up and many programs are flourishing. The SEC was arguably the best league in the country this year and that is rarely the case. I think he's right in saying here we put the diamond sports ahead of basketball which is still befuddling to me but until we change and inject some energy into the program its going to continue to die and rather than just say it will always be like that I'd prefer to at least attempt to make something happen.

9. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Basketball is punting on 3rd down.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    There is no opening . . .
    And from what I am hearing there will be no opening.

Ugh

Quote Originally Posted by BBcajun View Post
    And from what I am hearing there will be no opening.
    So another year of Bob?

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by BBcajun View Post
    Yep
    Well guess I just gave myself a $2,000 raise in June... lol have fun with the 200 people left in the Dome bob

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    It's. Always. Next. Year.

Jay forgot to mention the 1 tournament appearance in 12 years and dropping attendance. And once again, basketball is not an afterthought in the deep south. Attendance numbers in many programs. albeit most SEC schools, is up and many programs are flourishing. The SEC was arguably the best league in the country this year and that is rarely the case. I think he's right in saying here we put the diamond sports ahead of basketball which is still befuddling to me but until we change and inject some energy into the program its going to continue to die and rather than just say it will always be like that I'd prefer to at least attempt to make something happen.
    He's entitled to his opinion, I'm fine with people that want Coach Marlin to return. I certainly don't agree with keeping a coach that is 6th in wins in conference over the past 4 seasons and had a losing record in the regular season and in conference.

His diehard supporters are the people left in the stands, the students and fans for the most part don't believe in Coach Marlin. I support Dr. Maggard, but I don't have to agree with his decision if he keeps Coach Marlin for another season.

Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 ... LastLast

Thread Information