Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Marlin Set To Return ( Retaining Players Paramount )

1. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    I wasn't upset that bustle got let go and won't be if marlin gets let go. I can assure you the team that hud took over was the best talent that bustle had assembled here. I know he felt that he would have had his best team to date. They would have probably ended up in the same place, at the end of the year, if bustle would have remained coach, as they did with hud.
    That’s actually a great point and yet another comp with Marlin/Bustle.

If we move on from Bob, the next coach probably comes in and takes us to the dance…

Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    Oh, Kyle, you are so full of crap.
    2. What have I "blamed the fans" for? I said there are fans who have acted (and said on this board) that the program is in the pits. I said that wasn't true. UL has the second most league wins 2014-present. And, while I respect those who think it might be time for a change, the facts are what they are. I will admit there has been some slippage the last three or four years. But this program is FAR from the pits.

4. Jessie Evans was almost 20 years ago. The game has changed since then and so has the interest in basketball in the deep south. Now we only look at football until almost Christmas and then spring sports take center stage over the last four weeks of basketball.

Basketball is an afterthought for Cajun fans. Nothing is going to change that. Football and spring sports will always be more important.
    Basketball is an afterthought because we haven't been consistent, and the product has turned stale. People don't show up when you don't win. It even took Billy to win big to get the fans back to Cajun Field. We saw the attendance numbers during Hud's last season. They were pretty bad.

Also since 2018, we have the 6th most league wins. That's 4 full seasons where we have, for the most part, underachieved. I remember when we drew over 5,000 in 2018 after making some fun runs and the Cajundome having some excitement inside of it. Even this past weekend many fans who had basically quit on basketball got excited about us playing in the championship game.

I know we aren't going to draw the 7-8,000 we used to draw. But I also don't think that the fan base will always use basketball as an afterthought. I have run into many people around town who are just waiting for a spark in the program so they can get interested again. As far as Marlin goes, I'm like you. I'll let Dr. Maggard decide that.

3. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    Ahh yes year 13 will be when Marlin puts it all together.. lol just a reminder some on here were upset we let go of Bustle.
    Bustle would have had several winning seasons he had had 5 more years.

If Baldwin had been given 9 more years he would have had.. ok not Baldwin.

Marlin's biography "The Five Year Leash."

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post

If we move on from Bob, the next coach probably comes in and takes us to the dance…
    A lot of people are forgetting we are adding 4 new schools for basketball. Marshall skull drug Marlin this past year

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post

You may be right. I just don't see the sun belt conference as a destination job for that up and comer that wants to move on in basketball as I do in football. I would not expect to get a coach with a resume as good as Bob marlins was when he was hired. He brought SHST to the dance a couple of times if I recall, had multiple regular season championships, and knock off top ranked Kentucky as Bearcats coach.

Not saying we shouldn't move on but I wouldn't expect some great splash of a hire.

I wasn't upset that bustle got let go and won't be if marlin gets let go. I can assure you the team that hud took over was the best talent that bustle had assembled here. I know he felt that he would have had his best team to date. They would have probably ended up in the same place, at the end of the year, if bustle would have remained coach, as they did with hud.
    Yeah Jay Johnson was 1000x better OC and was the straw that stirred the drink

You may be right. I just don't see the sun belt conference as a destination job for that up and comer that wants to move on in basketball as I do in football. I would not expect to get a coach with a resume as good as Bob marlins was when he was hired. He brought SHST to the dance a couple of times if I recall, had multiple regular season championships, and knock off top ranked Kentucky as Bearcats coach.

Not saying we shouldn't move on but I wouldn't expect some great splash of a hire.
    The job is definitely attractive enough for an "up and comer." There's assistant coaches all over the place looking for that first real opportunity. And we have the resources to allow him to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    The job is definitely attractive enough for an "up and comer." There's assistant coaches all over the place looking for that first real opportunity. And we have the resources to allow him to succeed.
    Just look at Texas where did their HC get his start ?

9. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

If Billy Napier (apology for the swear) can parlay our football job into Florida, some young coach can DEFINITELY turn our basketball job into an elite level job. Brad Stevens went from Butler to the freaking Celtics, an NBA blue blood.

Will Wade may be available shortly. He knows how to get good recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Could not have been said any better. I think you are correct that WKU was a 9 once, which was an oddity. Normally 11 or 12 was where the SBC used to be. And crap we have never been a 3 bid league and if we were a 2 bid league it has been many years and it was not the norm.

I too, will support our basketball team no matter what decision is made from the administration and the athletic department. I would love to see a change at the top, but it does not mean my support will waiver if Marlin is the coach next year. I agree if the players that could come back next year, come back, specifically Brown, Akuwba, Dalcourt and Williams. And the continued improvement of Joe Charles and Michael Thomas. The big question mark will be Kobe Julien (injuries again), but I think that Isiah Richards will take Dou Gueye spot and be better at it, specifically understanding his role as a backup to the two bigs. I still think we need to make sure we get a true (bigger) point guard, hopefully through the transfer portal and a few other minor tweaks and this team can be really good. But I will let Dr. Maggard make his decision and next November, I will be hoping for a great season in the Cajun Dome.
    Of course you would say this. You're a complete ____ who can't wait to find something to disagree with me about. So what else is new chicken ____?

I'm just trying to figure out what the point is in continuing to support the program for those of us still hanging on if the administration has accepted this notion of basketball being an afterthought and red headed step child to football and the diamond sports. I'm not saying they have, but so many of the reasons being floated for keeping Marlin have so little do with standards and results.

13. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    Of course you would say this. You're a complete _____ who can't wait to find something to disagree with me about. So what else is new chicken ____?
    WTF? This has nothing to do with you. I said Jay was correct, didn't reply to you, just that Jay was correct.

But fact is this you were wrong.........Again.......

How many times will you be wrong about sports before you give up. Hey, remind me, I might have missed it.... has Saban retired yet?

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    Oh, Kyle, you are so full of crap.

1. This has never been a three bid league since we joined in 1992. It's been a two bid league maybe four or five times in 30 years. And, no one has had an eight seed. WKU might have gotten a nine one time. Eleven is usually the high water mark.

2. What have I "blamed the fans" for? I said there are fans who have acted (and said on this board) that the program is in the pits. I said that wasn't true. UL has the second most league wins 2014-present. And, while I respect those who think it might be time for a change, the facts are what they are. I will admit there has been some slippage the last three or four years. But this program is FAR from the pits.

3. You say we've gone down for five years now. Four years ago we won 27 games and a league championship.

4. Jessie Evans was almost 20 years ago. The game has changed since then and so has the interest in basketball in the deep south. Now we only look at football until almost Christmas and then spring sports take center stage over the last four weeks of basketball.

Basketball is an afterthought for Cajun fans. Nothing is going to change that. Football and spring sports will always be more important.

I, when asked, stated what I would do if it were my decision. And, it was based on what I see could be something really good next year. My personal feelings for Coach Marlin (and they run deep) really didn't have anything to do with my opinion.

I will support Dr. Maggard's decision. He is much more qualified to make the decision than any of us.
    Say what you want Jay. You have gotten way way too emotionally involved with Marlin. you back every excuse the man makes because you are friends. And yes, by saying UL basketball is an after thought you are again blaming the fans. The fact is the reason UL basketball is an afterthought is because this team hasn't been exciting since the Fletcher/Evans era.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    I'm just trying to figure out what the point is in continuing to support the program for those of us still hanging on if the administration has accepted this notion of basketball being an afterthought and red headed step child to football and the diamond sports. I'm not saying they have, but so many of the reasons being floated for keeping Marlin have so little do with standards and results.
    If basketball truly didn't matter Maggard should cut Marlins salary to 100k. Invest the 580k savings into programs that care about winning.

Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information