Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Marlin Set To Return ( Retaining Players Paramount )

Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I think people that are suggesting we should respect Dr. Maggard's decision are conflating the argument of replacing an under performing coach with trusting our Athletic Director. Unfortunately no one with any standard of performance can argue with the factual information you have posted and the need for a change. Now Dr. Maggard may have seen enough from the last few weeks of the season to allow Coach Marlin to finish his contract. That decision has consequences and that doesn't mean Cajun fans have to agree with the decision. This decision is not about trusting him similarly to hiring Coach Desormeaux, but actually keeping an under performing employee on staff that has a body of work that is well documented.
    Yeah, the corpse has been dead for at least 5 years now. What's another year on ice to a cadaver. The question now is whether there is anyone with enough miracle working power to revive a once thriving program that has had the life completely sucked out of it.

2. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    Yeah, the corpse has been dead for at least 5 years now. What's another year on ice to a cadaver. The question now is whether there is anyone with enough miracle working power to revive a once thriving program that has had the life completely sucked out of it.
    Your analysis is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Got to call BS. I sat there and counted one night in January, was over 1k the night I did that (I stopped after 1k). Didn't bother in February, Mardi Gras skews the numbers.

Besides, only way you get close to 500 for WBB if you go count everyone on the property. Also if anyone gave a ____ about WBB, we'd be talking about 1 NCAA in 51 years (2007).
    For the record, I have been advocating a change in women's basketball for several years. Since JK Hall left, our administrations have consistently shown that as long as they have a coach for WBB they are satisfied, regardless of the level of success. I don't think that our current coach is a bad coach. I do think that he leaves a LOT to be desired as a recruiter.

When I point out that JK Hall's last two teams would beat Brodhead's best team 10 out of 10 times, people respond that "Brodhead doesn't have Anna Petrokova or Yolanda Jones". I thank them for making my point for me. [Yes, I know that Petrokova was recruited by Gay Nix, not JKH, but Hall built a team around her.]

Also, I would like to point out that that "1 bid in 51 years" was something that MBB has NEVER accomplished; an at large bid to the Big Dance.

Just pointing out that some of us DO care about WBB.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Also, I would like to point out that that "1 bid in 51 years" was something that MBB has NEVER accomplished; an at large bid to the Big Dance.
    Once again, got to respectfully throw the unnecessary BS flag. Bobby Paschal had a team with an at large.

Remember the presser? Paschal was shocked to tears. 82-83, we were an independent and got blown out at Marquette by 21 in our last game; EVERYONE thought no way we’d get an at large. Played Rutgers.

Personally, a memorable road trip. Was in the old Mecca Arena. Went see “Touchdown Jesus” at Notre Dame, got caught in a white out blizzard, ended up in median of Tri State Beltway. Luckily we were with a Yankee friend, we dug out the car (snow was higher than roof on low side) so we could give the tow truck operator every bit of cash we had between the three of us. I’d wonder if anyone else here made that roadie to Milwaukee? Kudos if you did. Oh yeah forgot this nugget…radiator on my 3 year old car went out as we arrived at the Houston airport. Bought one in Chicago, flew back with it and changed it in the airport parking lot. Filled it with water from a ditch, filtered with my shirt. Damn right, Ragin’ Cajun basketball mattered big time then. No regrets, a great trip.

In 2022 and beyond, that’s an accomplishment neither team will ever sniff again.

5. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Once again, got to respectfully throw the unnecessary BS flag. Bobby Paschal had a team with an at large.

Remember the presser? Paschal was shocked to tears. 82-83, we were an independent and got blown out at Marquette by 21 in our last game; EVERYONE thought no way we’d get an at large. Played Rutgers.

Personally, a memorable road trip. Was in the old Mecca Arena. Went see “Touchdown Jesus” at Notre Dame, got caught in a white out blizzard, ended up in median of Tri State Beltway. Luckily we were with a Yankee friend, we dug out the car (snow was higher than roof on low side) so we could give the tow truck operator every bit of cash we had between the three of us. I’d wonder if anyone else here made that roadie to Milwaukee? Kudos if you did. Oh yeah forgot this nugget…radiator on my 3 year old car went out as we arrived at the Houston airport. Bought one in Chicago, flew back with it and changed it in the airport parking lot. Filled it with water from a ditch, filtered with my shirt. Damn right, Ragin’ Cajun basketball mattered big time then. No regrets, a great trip.

In 2022 and beyond, that’s an accomplishment neither team will ever sniff again.
    At large? Yeah I get it, we’re a one bid league. But in the past we could react with indignation when we got stiffed. Not these days, we totally know we don’t deserve one. Lack of quality wins and a cupcake schedule means we’re NOT at large team.

Rutgers game was in Hartford.

But what a fun season that was. Beating Michigan State in New Orleans was something special.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    At large? Yeah I get it, we’re a one bid league. But in the past we could react with indignation when we got stiffed. Not these days, we totally know we don’t deserve one. Lack of quality wins and a cupcake schedule means we’re NOT at large team.
    The other thing in 82-83, the field was 52 teams, 4 games to fill the 12th seeds. Cajuns were an 8 seed, lost to Rutgers in basically their backyard. This is the year Jimmy V and NCST took out Houston.

Won’t beat that horse, it’s already glue other than yes, those days went away years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by AirBill View Post
    Rutgers game was in Hartford.

But what a fun season that was. Beating Michigan State in New Orleans was something special.
    Yes sir, it was.

It was the time UL beat Norm Sloan and Larry Brown in the Sugar Bowl Classic. The PA guy was gushing about those two after the Cajuns beat both of them. Cajun fans weren’t real happy.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    What would it be? We know the guy isn’t gonna get us to where we need to be. Again, the resume speaks for itself. I wanted the guy to succeed. I thought he was a great hire. It hasn’t panned out. It’s time to move on.
    Oof! I NEVER liked this hire. Hated it from the beginning. Dude is milquetoast.....from personality to coaching.....milquetoast.

10. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

It would take a unique set of circumstances for Louisiana's head coaching job to be more attractive than it is right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    I'm like you. I don't have a strong opinion on men's basketball either. I did when Jessie was coaching & I was a season ticket holder. Then folks got mad at Jessie because he understood the lay of the land. They wanted to have a bunch of choir boys & make the final four every other year.

Since Marline has been here this team has made what one NCAA tournament? The league which used to be a two, or three team bid league with an 8-12 seed first place team, has now gone to being a one bid league with a 15th to 16th seed tournament champion only participant. In those 12 years Marlin has managed how many tournament appearances?

Listening to Jay on the radio this morning it sounds as though there are a lot of people prepared to back up Marlin in his righteous quest for annual mediocrity. Of course to back this thought process up Jay went the old blame the fans, blame the fans, blame the fans deck & pulled those cards out. It appears it is the fault of all of us that this team has managed to avoid any hint of greatness, or success during Marlin's time here. But we, or you who are still holding up the fort better be careful what you wish for. Because by golly, we'll be starting ALL OVER again & it could be worse than better.

To that my thought would be, who cares? It ain't a product worth seeing now if the tickets were free & I only had to cross the street to watch. But then again, that's just a fair weathered fan who used to be there every night the doors opened opining.
    Oh, Kyle, you are so full of crap.

1. This has never been a three bid league since we joined in 1992. It's been a two bid league maybe four or five times in 30 years. And, no one has had an eight seed. WKU might have gotten a nine one time. Eleven is usually the high water mark.

2. What have I "blamed the fans" for? I said there are fans who have acted (and said on this board) that the program is in the pits. I said that wasn't true. UL has the second most league wins 2014-present. And, while I respect those who think it might be time for a change, the facts are what they are. I will admit there has been some slippage the last three or four years. But this program is FAR from the pits.

3. You say we've gone down for five years now. Four years ago we won 27 games and a league championship.

4. Jessie Evans was almost 20 years ago. The game has changed since then and so has the interest in basketball in the deep south. Now we only look at football until almost Christmas and then spring sports take center stage over the last four weeks of basketball.

Basketball is an afterthought for Cajun fans. Nothing is going to change that. Football and spring sports will always be more important.

I, when asked, stated what I would do if it were my decision. And, it was based on what I see could be something really good next year. My personal feelings for Coach Marlin (and they run deep) really didn't have anything to do with my opinion.

I will support Dr. Maggard's decision. He is much more qualified to make the decision than any of us.

12. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post

1. This has never been a three bid league since we joined in 1992. It's been a two bid league maybe four or five times in 30 years. And, no one has had an eight seed. WKU might have gotten a nine one time. Eleven is usually the high water mark.

2. What have I "blamed the fans" for? I said there are fans who have acted (and said on this board) that the program is in the pits. I said that wasn't true. UL has the second most league wins 2014-present. And, while I respect those who think it might be time for a change, the facts are what they are. I will admit there has been some slippage the last three or four years. But this program is FAR from the pits.

3. You say we've gone down for five years now. Four years ago we won 27 games and a league championship.

4. Jessie Evans was almost 20 years ago. The game has changed since then and so has the interest in basketball in the deep south. Now we only look at football until almost Christmas and then spring sports take center stage over the last four weeks of basketball.

Basketball is an afterthought for Cajun fans. Nothing is going to change that. Football and spring sports will always be more important.

I, when asked, stated what I would do if it were my decision. And, it was based on what I see could be something really good next year. My personal feelings for Coach Marlin (and they run deep) really didn't have anything to do with my opinion.

I will support Dr. Maggard's decision. He is much more qualified to make the decision than any of us.
    **counter punch**

Let me get comfortable for this one. One sec.

Thanks for the gut check, Jay-bird.

14. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post

Could not have been said any better. I think you are correct that WKU was a 9 once, which was an oddity. Normally 11 or 12 was where the SBC used to be. And crap we have never been a 3 bid league and if we were a 2 bid league it has been many years and it was not the norm.

I too, will support our basketball team no matter what decision is made from the administration and the athletic department. I would love to see a change at the top, but it does not mean my support will waiver if Marlin is the coach next year. I agree if the players that could come back next year, come back, specifically Brown, Akuwba, Dalcourt and Williams. And the continued improvement of Joe Charles and Michael Thomas. The big question mark will be Kobe Julien (injuries again), but I think that Isiah Richards will take Dou Gueye spot and be better at it, specifically understanding his role as a backup to the two bigs. I still think we need to make sure we get a true (bigger) point guard, hopefully through the transfer portal and a few other minor tweaks and this team can be really good. But I will let Dr. Maggard make his decision and next November, I will be hoping for a great season in the Cajun Dome.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    **counter punch**

Let me get comfortable for this one. One sec.
    Popcorn, peanuts, cold Beeeah, Popcorn, Peanuts, cold Beeeah

Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information