Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Marlin Set To Return ( Retaining Players Paramount )

Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    MBB had some 500 people in attendance towards the end... you dont think it will get worse ?

Got to call BS. I sat there and counted one night in January, was over 1k the night I did that (I stopped after 1k). Didn't bother in February, Mardi Gras skews the numbers.

Besides, only way you get close to 500 for WBB if you go count everyone on the property. Also if anyone gave a ____ about WBB, we'd be talking about 1 NCAA in 51 years (2007).

Default Re: Bob Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    I never call for a coach to be fired because I do not know everything going on with the program. Having said that, let me say this: Obviously attendance at the Cajun Dome was really poor this year. Before I moved out of Lafayette (I am back now), I was a basketball season ticket holder for many years. I was there throughout the Jesse era. I also attended conference tournament games and made the NCAA games. I remember the controversy that always surrounded the program back then because of some player issues. When I talked to people about basketball, I always said the same thing about the program. "When I go to the Cajun Dome for a game, I expect the Cajuns will win." Through all of the BS going on back then, this statement was pretty much spot on. People are not showing up for games because the opposite is true, they expect to lose. What you do in the conference tournament does not help home game attendance if you lose a lot of the home games, people want to watch the team win at home.

That needs to be fixed.
    You can't lose games at home that you're expected to win (ex. Jackson State). Also, you have to place a good enough product on the court that people would be willing to pay for. Back in the Jesse Days, not only did we win almost all of our home games, but you could expect Brad Boyd to hit an infinite amount of 3's or Dwayne Mitchell fly out of the air for a SC top ten dunk. It was entertaining. It also doesn't help scheduling a home game against Banana Muffin Technical Institute as a non-conference opponent while other SBC members attract Southern Illinois, Air Force, Nevada, and Auburn to theirs. See Baseball and Softball: even when they don't play well, the atmospheres are second to none plus we attract respectable P5's to come a few times a year. It's all about the product.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    I never said only soccer & fball - I said it could be a plethora of things that you and I aren't aware of.

Not saying that is the case, but you and I and everyone else on this board has no idea. What if Maggard has already been in contact with coaching agents and knows what the going contract value will need to be for an upgrade and we can't afford it?

Bottom line: I think Maggard deserves the respect that his (possible) decision to keep Marlin is certainly calculated - not a "middle finger" to his fan base.
    It would be a middle finger to the basketball fans in the fact that it’s a clear admission he is not concerned with the basketball program. The product isn’t up to the standards that Maggard himself has set for his athletic programs. If we are going to simply throw our hands up and say we can’t afford to upgrade, what purpose do the few of us hanging on serve?

To your point of an upgrade possibly being too expensive, we finished 8th in a league of coaches already primarily making less than Marlin.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantvb View Post
    Guys. I'm gonna chime in and bow out gracefully: "In Maggard, WE TRUST." As for the MBB team, they gave it what they had left in the tank. #8 seed into the Conference Finals. I am proud of MY basketball team.
    My understanding has always been that Maggard wants programs finishing in the top 2-3 in the conference. These are our basketball rankings under Marlin:

2021-2022 - 8th
    2020-2021 - tied 4th
    2019-2020 - tied 8th
    2018-2019 - 5th
    2017-2018 - 1st
    2016-2017 - tied 6th
    2015-2016 - 4th
    2014-2015 - 4th
    2013-2014 - 3rd
    2012-2013 - 8th
    2011-2012 - 4th
    2010-2011 - tied 2nd

Since he isn't concerned with holding this program to any sort of standard, I guess my only option will be to trust in him from my couch like most of this fanbase has decided to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Got to call BS. I sat there and counted one night in January, was over 1k the night I did that (I stopped after 1k). Didn't bother in February, Mardi Gras skews the numbers.

Besides, only way you get close to 500 for WBB if you go count everyone on the property. Also if anyone gave a ____ about WBB, we'd be talking about 1 NCAA in 51 years (2007).
    Parades only interfered with 1 game can't discount the whole last month of the season.

I know a few people that know Bob Marlin, and he seems like a nice guy and a good person. But when it comes to Basketball, Personality doesn't matter, results do, and the results have been nothing but meh the past few years. I think Marlin needs to go and just like GrantVb said, In Maggard We Trust!! Who do y'all want as the next coach? I think Byron Starks could be good since he's a former Cajun.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    It would be a middle finger to the basketball fans in the fact that it’s a clear admission he is not concerned with the basketball program. The product isn’t up to the standards that Maggard himself has set for his athletic programs. If we are going to simply throw our hands up and say we can’t afford to upgrade, what purpose do the few of us hanging on serve?

To your point of an upgrade possibly being too expensive, we finished 8th in a league of coaches already primarily making less than Marlin.
    I think people that are suggesting we should respect Dr. Maggard's decision are conflating the argument of replacing an under performing coach with trusting our Athletic Director. Unfortunately no one with any standard of performance can argue with the factual information you have posted and the need for a change. Now Dr. Maggard may have seen enough from the last few weeks of the season to allow Coach Marlin to finish his contract. That decision has consequences and that doesn't mean Cajun fans have to agree with the decision. This decision is not about trusting him similarly to hiring Coach Desormeaux, but actually keeping an under performing employee on staff that has a body of work that is well documented.

8. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I think people that are suggesting we should respect Dr. Maggard's decision are conflating the argument of replacing an under performing coach with trusting our Athletic Director. Unfortunately no one with any standard of performance can argue with the factual information you have posted and the need for a change. Now Dr. Maggard may have seen enough from the last few weeks of the season to allow Coach Marlin to finish his contract. That decision has consequences and that doesn't mean Cajun fans have to agree with the decision. This decision is not about trusting him similarly to hiring Coach Desormeaux, but actually keeping an under performing employee on staff that has a body of work that is well documented.
    He certainly can’t walk out and say it ain’t broken. Why get rid of the key people.

I’m sorry Marlin can’t do it’s. Not because I like or don’t like the man, but for the sake of the fans. Too bad his only failure was losing to the tournament champion every final game.

We’re going to eat another crap sandwich next year and be told to give him time.

We are paying this dude over 500k a year for mediocrity (not much less that our head football coach!!!). We simply aren't getting a ROI with his contract. If he was making 200k, I could MAYBE understand keeping around for another year after making tournament finals (for only 2nd time in 12 damn years). The savings in New coaches contract (assuming new coach is paid around 250k) not to mention bringing in new blood will bring in more fans to the games and add more season tickets.

I get bobby is a nice guy and runs a clean program but it is time.

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2022...-mens-programs

…speaking of clean programs. Someone else may be looking for a new coach also.

11. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Maybe they can take him from us. They need to get a whitewash

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2022...-mens-programs

…speaking of clean programs. Someone else may be looking for a new coach also.
    I’ll bet anyone here $100 million nothing happens from this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hudsheen#Fired View Post
    We are paying this dude over 500k a year for mediocrity (not much less that our head football coach!!!). We simply aren't getting a ROI with his contract. If he was making 200k, I could MAYBE understand keeping around for another year after making tournament finals (for only 2nd time in 12 damn years). The savings in New coaches contract (assuming new coach is paid around 250k) not to mention bringing in new blood will bring in more fans to the games and add more season tickets.

I get bobby is a nice guy and runs a clean program but it is time.
    I don't think you're gonna get a good coach for $250k these days.

I am sure Wade has made a "Strong ass offer" to the NCAA investigators to forget the whole deal. Must not have worked though.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    I’ll bet anyone here $100 million nothing happens from this.
    You would win that bet. It will get brushed aside again.

Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information