Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst . 27 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 . LastLast

Thread: Marlin Set To Return ( Retaining Players Paramount )

Default Re: Marlin Set To Return (merged)

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Man, was working at UVI when that game came together and missed the game here. It was a Hatfield coaching tree game favor. UVI was playing in NOLA and needed a D1 exhibition. Went to a game or two down there, they were struggling to get bodies after the two big hurricanes in 2017.

So on a personal note, yeah I was hyped for UVI solely because I knew the struggle UVI went thru just to have a team. Any game they played that year was short of a miracle.

Coach Dolar with UVI I got to know, and is a good man. Cajuns side of this game, meh, another exhibition.

On a humorous note, they’d flash a hand sign for “Virgin Islands” down there which had a totally different meaning in the US. First time I saw it, I was “shocked” to see a crowd do it, so to speak.
    I just remembered that game because one of the assistant coaches was hyping it up. Said they would beat multiple D1 teams

2. Default Re: Marlin Set To Return

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    What 2 teams played in the game to go to the NCAA tournament in our league the only game that really matters, I forget. Can you help me out?
    By requiring "requiring" 4 straight wins in the Sun Belt tournament you have built a program that is designed to fail and flail.

Marlin cannot rely on the emotional focus that occured during the 2022 Sun Belt run.

Default Re: Marlin Set To Return

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    What 2 teams played in the game to go to the NCAA tournament in our league the only game that really matters, I forget. Can you help me out?
    Serious? So you just bypass all of the other 30+ games we play during the season I guess. That' good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Serious? So you just bypass all of the other 30+ games we play during the season I guess. That' good to know.
    Marlins fan club pick and choose what's important.

Do well in the regular season and lose first round " well the regular season is what matters"

Losing record but make a run in the tournament" well its only about the 3 games in March "

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    By requiring "requiring" 4 straight wins in the Sun Belt tournament you have built a program that is designed to
    Marlin cannot rely on the emotional focus that occured during the 2022 Sun Belt run.
    . It was not only emotion that fueled good tournament play, although that was part of the reason for improvement. Bigger factor was finally settling on a consistent rotation. Many basketball people agree with me on that analysis. Yes, that should have occurred earlier in the season. Moving forward, hopefully they can finish high enough in the regular season in 2023 to only have to win three games. Finally, there is a caveat to players being able to only transfer once. That involves a coaching change. You can transfer without the sit out requirement if your coach is let go despite transferring previously. I only learned this recently. An example of this occurred today. Xavier Pinson of LSU is now in the transfer portal after Will Wade was let go. Not sure how that affects us as both Brown and Awkuba could leave and play overseas regardless of the transfer rule details. I have no idea what their plans are.

Default Re: Marlin Set To Return (merged)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    I just remembered that game because one of the assistant coaches was hyping it up. Said they would beat multiple D1 teams
    That year, not so much. Other years, possible. People with issues of some sort go down there time to time. Hatfield was down there briefly as a coach. Hence, the connection.

Basketball is a big deal thing down there. Tim Duncan came from St. Croix, tennis was his first love. Of course, he is highly revered throughout the USVI.

Aliyah Boston came mainland from St Thomas and that is history being made. She could end up like Duncan, a legend. Worked with her dad, Al, watched and heard about recruiting trips. Quite interesting, every weekend he left to go with her on a official visit, he got picked on about bringing a bag for the money. In reality, the whole family was involved in decision, including prayer and fasting. Met her at a USVI game, a very humble and quiet young lady. Don’t know how they picked South Carolina, but one biggie screwed the pooch by picking her up in a limo w/o a rep from their university present. You conn…errr can’t do that with a minor female. Dad was some ____ed off.

Default Re: Marlin Set To Return ( .545 D1 record )

Rob Lanier bye bye to GAST, SMU new home.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Rob Lanier bye bye to GAST, SMU new home.
    Wonder if Hunter heads back

New arena, more money and the transfer portal. Ole gap tooth would wreck shop in the belt

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    Wonder if Hunter heads back

New arena, more money and the transfer portal. Ole gap tooth would wreck shop in the belt
    Some Panther Fans feel Lanier rode Hunter’s recruits to success. They finished there last week, concerns about future. Perfect timing to go.

10. Default Re: Marlin Set To Return

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    That is reality in a 1 bid league whether you want to face it or not . . .

11. Default Re: Marlin Set To Return

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    That is reality in a 1 bid league whether you want to face it or not . . .
    That attitude ignores the integrity of the the game and slaps fans of the sport into ignoration.

12. Default Re: Marlin Set To Return

That attitude ignores the integrity of the the game and slaps fans of the sport into ignoration.
    It’s not an attitude, it’s reality. There is a far distance between the too. Nobody Said not to play hard all season. That is a different reality.

13. Default Re: Marlin Set To Return

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    It’s not an attitude, it’s reality. There is a far distance between the too. Nobody Said not to play hard all season. That is a different reality.
    You are the one that segregated "bypass all of the other 30+ games" and a single bid.

One does not need to sacrifice regular season competitivness in order to win in March. In fact, doing so lessens your chances of winning that coveted single ticket in.

It was rare when the Cajuns did not play hard during the regular season. At times they played "too hard" meaning they were out of control too often. Now many times they played hard but not well or "smart". The reason that improved in the tournament was they finally settled on a consistent rotation. There were signs of that occurring late in the regular season as well as they moved towards that consistent lineup. Hopefully that occurs early next season and only minor tweaks are needed as the season progresses. That is the key to a successful season.

15. Default Re: Marlin Set To Return

You are the one that segregated "bypass all of the other 30+ games" and a single bid.

One does not need to sacrifice regular season competitivness in order to win in March. In fact, doing so lessens your chances of winning that coveted single ticket in.
    I have never, ever said that. You are now making things up. Must be a slow day for you.

Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst . 27 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 . LastLast

Thread Information