Page 31 of 45 FirstFirst . 21 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 41 . LastLast

Thread: Marlin Set To Return ( Retaining Players Paramount )

Default Re: ESPN 1420 Louisiana Basketball Coach Bob Marlin Will Return Next Season

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Maggard: "tournament play showed us what we knew we were capable of doing."

Actually: Tournament play showed us what we knew, Marlin teams underachieve all year and try to suddenly "turn it on" at the end.
    Bingo.

Default Re: Marlin Set To Return (merged)

They should use this announcement as an opportunity to increase prices for concessions.

Quote Originally Posted by STEVEAUX UL 78 View Post
    They should use this announcement as an opportunity to increase prices for concessions.
    16oz beers now $14.99 CD needs to one up Minute Maid park

Default Re: Maggard confirms Marlin returns for final year of contract

Quote Originally Posted by apb View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Marlin should never be in the same sentence as Coach K. Good Lord, this AD is clueless and will forever mire in mediocracy.
    If you read some of the comments there, they're the massive diehards of the basketball program. But I notice that there's a sense of "groupthink" to the point where I am not sure if some of them really know what most fans outside of that group really think about the program. The fact that one person had asked why the university has to publicly address this issue tells me that some of them only see the program within those few diehards.

As far as the actual decision, the administration decided that one more year was good enough. No matter the reaction, we have no control of that outside of whether or not fans decide to support the program.

On Scotts show someone emailed saying they were excited for Marlin to be back Scott told them they were in the minority lol

6. Default Re: Marlin Set To Return (merged)

I still can't get over buddy on the propaganda page asking if "Marlin's success was in question." That's some next level delusion ____. Like Rustonia level.

Default Re: Maggard confirms Marlin returns for final year of contract

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    If you read some of the comments there, they're the massive diehards of the basketball program. But I notice that there's a sense of "groupthink" to the point where I am not sure if some of them really know what most fans outside of that group really think about the program. The fact that one person had asked why the university has to publicly address this issue tells me that some of them only see the program within those few diehards.

As far as the actual decision, the administration decided that one more year was good enough. No matter the reaction, we have no control of that outside of whether or not fans decide to support the program.
    I think your post is on point this morning. No matter how anyone, including myself feels about the decision to allow Coach Marlin to return, fans will make their own choices. I think once people have made up their minds, pushing the discussion only further entrenches their support for, or against Coach Marlin returning for another year.

In regards to supporting other sports, I will continue to buy tickets and donate to RCAF because I'm not going to make other coaches and athletes pay for a decision that I do not agree with. There are ways to donate to specific RCAF funds that help support those programs.

8. Default Re: Marlin Set To Return (merged)

As with Farmer, Levi and Bustle, the Marlin sycophants actually make the neutral or anti-Marlin fans even more furious with this decision.

The decision was not made “by the fans for the fans” I can tell you that. It also was not made to “spread the brand across the land”

Marlin is a lame duck coach this year. It just is one of the worst decisions ever made to allow him back for another year based on 3 games in March when he didn’t even win the tourney in the 4th game.

10. Default Re: Marlin Set To Return (merged)

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    The decision was not made “by the fans for the fans” I can tell you that. It also was not made to “spread the brand across the land”

Marlin is a lame duck coach this year. It just is one of the worst decisions ever made to allow him back for another year based on 3 games in March when he didn’t even win the tourney in the 4th game.
    Maybe that tells you what the administration thinks about the things you refer to in the first paragraph . . . or maybe not . . .

11. Default Re: Marlin Set To Return (merged)

I'm sure someone touched on this in this threads, but didn't Coach Marlin say during preseason that this was the most talented team he's had here? That says a lot about his performance this year.

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post

I don't think the decision was made entirely on the way they played in the tournament. I think looking at next season in a vacuum we probably have a better team retaining the current staff. If assistants leave or if key players decide not to return that could change my view on that. I will say I really was hoping to see the announcement that next season is officially a farewell as I think for the overall health of the program long term the time has come to at least get a transition plan in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    I don't think the decision was made entirely on the way they played in the tournament. I think looking at next season in a vacuum we probably have a better team retaining the current staff. If assistants leave or if key players decide not to return that could change my view on that. I will say I really was hoping to see the announcement that next season is officially a farewell as I think for the overall health of the program long term the time has come to at least get a transition plan in place.
    Dr. Maggard addressed the retention decision on an interview with Scott Prather this morning on ESPN Lafayette. Scott did a great job of asking the right questions. You may or may not like the answers but I encourage everyone to listen to a replay. That way you get a perspective on what went into the decision. If the ESPN Lafayette website does not have a link to the interview, Scott usually posts his interviews on Spotify or other similar platforms. Just research the Great Scott show to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Dr. Maggard addressed the retention decision on an interview with Scott Prather this morning on ESPN Lafayette. Scott did a great job of asking the right questions. You may or may not like the answers but I encourage everyone to listen to a replay. That way you get a perspective on what went into the decision. If the ESPN Lafayette website does not have a link to the interview, Scott usually posts his interviews on Spotify or other similar platforms. Just research the Great Scott show to find it.
    Thanks Mike, I actually just got a chance to listen to the interview and it was very well done. He addressed not wanting to "put the program in a box" and leaving the decision after next season open which I totally understand. I think also knowing that there is a core group of players who by current rules really don't have the option to transfer (they could certainly still leave if they desired) doesn't present the same recruiting/transfer issues that a coach going into the final year of a contract usually has. That probably played into the way this was handled as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    Bob led this team to an 8th place finish twice in the last 4 years. Bringing him back leading to a better team next year is debatable at best.

Page 31 of 45 FirstFirst . 21 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 41 . LastLast

Thread Information