Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Marlin Set To Return ( Retaining Players Paramount )

Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    Agree. If he gets said year the way they played down the stretch, where guys got healthy, understood their roles better, and played as a team, if all return it could be a very special year. May even lead to an extension.
    Well Ive never herd all this before. Probably turnover half the roster in the off-season and start fresh again. 4 games in March. I have nothing against Marlin, just never seems to out coach anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    I agree with this, but I'm also not a basketball season ticket holder. The SBC is a one bid league, and it seems like we're pumping most of our resources into football. I would like to see a change after his contract is up, but I think he should just finish out his contract. That team didn't quit on him even though they had a really inconsistent year.
    The key piece of your post here is “not a season ticket holder.” A team not quitting is not grounds for someone keeping their job. The 12 year resume speaks for itself. If Maggard retains Marlin, it is a just middle finger to the few of us who still buy tickets to this.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    I agree with this, but I'm also not a basketball season ticket holder. The SBC is a one bid league, and it seems like we're pumping most of our resources into football. I would like to see a change after his contract is up, but I think he should just finish out his contract. That team didn't quit on him even though they had a really inconsistent year.
    The players want to get to the big dance more than anyone, odd how they looked different when something they wanted was on the line. There are 2 sides to every coin.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    The key piece of your post here is “not a season ticket holder.” A team not quitting is not grounds for someone keeping their job. The 12 year resume speaks for itself. If Maggard retains Marlin, it is a just middle finger to the few of us who still buy tickets to this.
    I’m a season ticket holder as well. And while I think it’s time we go in a new direction, I think it’s unfair to say it would be a middle finger to us. After all that Dr. Maggard has done for our program as a whole, I would like to believe he would have strategic reasoning for retaining Marlin.

Default Re: Bob Marlin

"25 k for championships." ....... Never had to worry about paying that money. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    I’m a season ticket holder as well. And while I think it’s time we go in a new direction, I think it’s unfair to say it would be a middle finger to us. After all that Dr. Maggard has done for our program as a whole, I would like to believe he would have strategic reasoning for retaining Marlin.
    What would it be? We know the guy isn’t gonna get us to where we need to be. Again, the resume speaks for itself. I wanted the guy to succeed. I thought he was a great hire. It hasn’t panned out. It’s time to move on.

7. Default Re: Bob Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by CameronCajun View Post
    "25 k for championships." ....... Never had to worry about paying that money. LOL
    That's nothing, the extended contract portion is worth $500K for each year.

Its already been discussed on an earlier thread, wait until after April 1st to make a change and the buyout drops. Ideally, CBM will announce his retirement in a couple weeks and everyone can give him a pat on the back.

What would it be? We know the guy isn’t gonna get us to where we need to be. Again, the resume speaks for itself. I wanted the guy to succeed. I thought he was a great hire. It hasn’t panned out. It’s time to move on.
    I’m not sure what reason could be given.

But initial thoughts are our on our athletic programs p&l. What did the new soccer hire cost us? Football staff that is a small army? Could be a plethora of financial impacts, Bc the next coach and staff will cost more than where we’re at now.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    I’m not sure what reason could be given.

But initial thoughts are our on our athletic programs p&l. What did the new soccer hire cost us? Football staff that is a small army? Could be a plethora of financial impacts, Bc the next coach and staff will cost more than where we’re at now.
    So we can’t take care of one our most important programs because the soccer coach left? We went from paying Billy $2 million to $700k to MD and got a buyout and the assistant pool didn’t change. We already pay top dollar in the Sun Belt for basketball. Next excuse please.

Quote Originally Posted by Louisiana84 View Post
    Outside of a handful of people on this board no one cares about basketball. If they did, they would show up at the Cajundome 5-6k strong every game. Lack of interest in the product is not a function of who is coaching or playing. It is the same in football… ranked in the top 25, but struggling to put butts in the seats.
    This is incorrect and exactly for the reason you tried to use to support your statement. Football has been winning at the highest level EVER and we struggled with attendance. It's not a basketball thing. Did you see how many people attended the top 28? People do care about basketball but we've been in the same rut for years. People don't want to be a part of a stagnant program.

So we can’t take care of one our most important programs because the soccer coach left? We went from paying Billy $2 million to $700k to MD and got a buyout and the assistant pool didn’t change. We already pay top dollar in the Sun Belt for basketball. Next excuse please.
    Dont forget the 3 mill from Florida

The money is available if they wait until after April. I'm not certain any change will be made.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    The money is available if they wait until after April. I'm not certain any change will be made.
    If Marlin is back next year WBB might draw a bigger crowd

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    A retirement ceremony after the buyout drops in April is what I hope would happen. For the record, I think Marlin will be the coach here next year.

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information