Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Marlin Set To Return ( Retaining Players Paramount )

Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Quote Originally Posted by NWLA Cajun View Post
    Chris Marcus. There's a name I haven't heard in a while. He and Southall had some battles!
    Epic!

2. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    I hate that stupid over used cliche'. Doug Flutie caught lightning in a bottle on his Hail Mary play in college. Frank Reich may have caught lightning in a bottle against the Houston Oilers when they played the Bills in that 35-3 comeback. No one catches lightning in a bottle for three straight years. It's the product of great organizational skills, people skills & a lot of hard work by a lot of people.
    I believe that the lightning in a bottle refered to a rare special coach that encompassed the skills and insight to consistently win here. We’re about to see if it’s about Billy or our cULture change.

3. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    I hate that stupid over used cliche'. Doug Flutie caught lightning in a bottle on his Hail Mary play in college. Frank Reich may have caught lightning in a bottle against the Houston Oilers when they played the Bills in that 35-3 comeback. No one catches lightning in a bottle for three straight years. It's the product of great organizational skills, people skills & a lot of hard work by a lot of people.
    If you’re still listening to the podcast, how much did you hate my Marlin take?

Quote Originally Posted by NWLA Cajun View Post
    Chris Marcus. There's a name I haven't heard in a while. He and Southall had some battles!
    Chris Marcus had his demons. He developed an addiction to alcohol while still in college. He managed to beat it a few years later. He died from a pulmonary embolism in 2020. He was 41.

Just when I thought I couldnt respect Jays opinion on this any less. Geezus, to come here and defend the program under Marlin is just sad. Obviously he is ok with making Marlin the highest paid coach in the league with these results. Like someone said, If this is how much we care about the results in basketball, just bring in a guy, pay him 100k and get the same results. Spend that extra money on FB and diamond sports. Im a slight step up from a casual basketball fan, and even then, I would attend 5 -10 games every year. I havent been to a game in a good 5-6 years. Milquetoast.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
    We kicked this around at least a couple years ago. What is the measurement of success for the men's basketball program? Seems like the consensus was make the NCAA's at least every three years was reasonable expectation in a one bid conference. We've had spurts of success here and there making the NCAA's but never that frequency in last 25 years. But if GA St. can do it, (4 bids since 2015) dog gone it we should be able to do that here, too. IMO, we shouldn't settle for anything less.
    1 out of every 3 years sounds realistic until you think about the mathematical absurdity of it. This is going to be a 14 team, one-bid conference. Realistically, maybe one team out of 14 could accomplish making the NCAAs 1 out of every 3 years.

And I'm just going to ask the question -- why would that team be us? Why should we be so exceptional? We don't have a higher budget, we don't have better basketball facilities, we don't have better fan support (butts in seats and donations,) and we don't have a recent winning history.

Napier won because he is Napier. But he also won because he got the full weight and focus of the athletic administration behind him. Napier had a near unlimited budget to set up the program the way he wanted it. Basketball has been an afterthought since Hud showed up and it shows. Heck, basketball has been an afterthought for the entire conference and it shows. As long as we continue to treat basketball like a red-headed stepchild I honestly can't put high expectations on our program.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    1 out of every 3 years sounds realistic until you think about the mathematical absurdity of it. This is going to be a 14 team, one-bid conference. Realistically, maybe one team out of 14 could accomplish making the NCAAs 1 out of every 3 years.

And I'm just going to ask the question -- why would that team be us? Why should we be so exceptional? We don't have a higher budget, we don't have better basketball facilities, we don't have better fan support (butts in seats and donations,) and we don't have a recent winning history.

Napier won because he is Napier. But he also won because he got the full weight and focus of the athletic administration behind him. Napier had a near unlimited budget to set up the program the way he wanted it. Basketball has been an afterthought since Hud showed up and it shows. Heck, basketball has been an afterthought for the entire conference and it shows. As long as we continue to treat basketball like a red-headed stepchild I honestly can't put high expectations on our program.
    Is our coach not the highest paid in the league? Do we not have more resources at our disposal than the rest of the league do? Is our gym one of the nicest? If the answer to those questions are yes then we should absolutely be at the top of the league every year with conference title expectations every year as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    Im a slight step up from a casual basketball fan, and even then, I would attend 5 -10 games every year. I havent been to a game in a good 5-6 years. Milquetoast.
    Wow, I am sure Dr. Maggard will consider this in his decision! Your attendance at 5-10 games would certainly be a boon for the program.

As I previously stated, I think Coach Marlin's tenure has ran its course, but Dr. Maggard may see it differently. I hope if Marlin does return, the players he currently has will return and make next season interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    Is our coach not the highest paid in the league? Do we not have more resources at our disposal than the rest of the league do? Is our gym one of the nicest? If the answer to those questions are yes then we should absolutely be at the top of the league every year with conference title expectations every year as well.
    The answers to at least 2/3 of those questions are clearly NO. And that's my point.

10. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Thanks for describing Georgia State for us.

To think it shouldn’t or couldn’t be us is what’s really absurd. With “friends” like these…

11. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

Your benchmarks going forward don't create excuses going backwards.

What I'm reading from you is we can expect even less from Marlin going forward.

GAST plays in a rec room on the second floor of a high rise. CD blows away every of gym in the sbc outside of ODU and JMU. Basketball Also works out in the nicest weight rooms in the country. Add the fact Marlin is the highest paid coach in the leauge.

He is making almost as much as Des. If football doesn't win 8 games in the first 2 year people will want him canned. The difference is basketball cult would rather be able to sit on Marlins lap on the bus ride than win championships.

13. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Change

The answers to at least 2/3 of those questions are clearly NO. And that's my point.
    Opinions are fine. Facts are not up for debate.

Marlin is the highest paid coach in the SBC, even with the new members. The CajunDome is far and away the nicest venue in the sunbelt and that’s with the additional teams.

Y’all would excuse child molestation if Cajuns basketball was involved…

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Thanks for describing Georgia State for us.

To think it shouldn’t or couldn’t be us is what’s really absurd. With “friends” like these…
    On the contrary. It absolutely could be us.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Opinions are fine. Facts are not up for debate.

Marlin is the highest paid coach in the SBC, even with the new members. The CajunDome is far and away the nicest venue in the sunbelt and that’s with the additional teams.

Y’all would excuse child molestation if Cajuns basketball was involved…
    I will stop caring if Marlin comes back. My view is If Maggard can waste 600k a year Than he clearly doesn't need my money.

Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 ... LastLast

Thread Information