Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7

Thread: BB G1: Louisiana 1, Troy 7

Default Re: BB G1: Louisiana 1, Troy 7

This is a 3 (full seasons) rebuild. Maybe (Maybe) by 2024 we’ll see some more positive results. That’s just how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by babysitter View Post
    We have a coach that’s barely in his second full season and people are piling on like we belong in Omaha. Really ? Matt Deggs took over a program with zero talent in 2019 and the “Covid shortened” 2020 season in which only about 15 games were played. This is a total rebuild and some of you aren’t smart enough in the sport of baseball to notice. The last decent team here was the 2017 team and they failed to make a regional and had Leger, Marks, Demo and other arms. A single elimination conference tournament was a large part of that team not moving further. 2018 and 2019 (under Robe) WE SUCKED. Give this man a break. He came here managing minimal talent and is trying to get this program back to what it was. Quit whining and start supporting. This won’t happen overnight because there was no real talent to speak of when Deggs got here. But some of you know better with all your baseball wisdom. It’s laughable.
    He was pretty much solely responsible for turning around a 22 win team with no talent in 2012 to a 43 win team in 2013 and a 58 win team in 2014 at this university as the assistant coach. The team he “inherited” 3 years ago was not near as bad as what he took over in 2012. We in year 3 of this project and the trend is mostly the same…we are a .500 ball club. Nobody expected things to happen overnight, but most expected a positive increase in wins by year 3. This is not a regional team. This is not a pitching staff that compete 4-5 nights in a week. Yes the hitters are getting closer but they will not score 10 runs a night like the 2014 team.

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    He was pretty much solely responsible for turning around a 22 win team with no talent in 2012 to a 43 win team in 2013 and a 58 win team in 2014 at this university as the assistant coach. The team he “inherited” 3 years ago was not near as bad as what he took over in 2012. We in year 3 of this project and the trend is mostly the same…we are a .500 ball club. Nobody expected things to happen overnight, but most expected a positive increase in wins by year 3. This is not a regional team. This is not a pitching staff that compete 4-5 nights in a week. Yes the hitters are getting closer but they will not score 10 runs a night like the 2014 team.
    This is not even year 1 1/2. 2020 didn’t count for anybody. It was a 15 game season at best. It’s the second full season for Deggs. And you may be correct, nothing may have been worse than that 2012 team !

4. Default Re: BB G1: Louisiana 1, Troy 7

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    My quote was more about the program in general, not Deggs specifically.

I’ve had quite a few moments of head scratching with some decisions. And I also agree with some of the posters about “pitchability” concerns. We have a bunch of guys with strikeout stuff but issues with command. Hopefully some of that will work itself out, although I think this team is a couple good arms short of being what we all want. We don’t have a legit Friday guy, and could definitely use another reliable guy in the pen.

The offense is coming around though. Last night was an example of facing a good Friday guy of a good team. I expect the Cajuns to score some runs the rest of the weekend.

Everybody always wants to schedule for RPI. Thats what was done this year. Rarely, outside of the elite conferences and programs, will you schedule that way and still have a great OOC record. We are 4-4 against Q1 teams right now. That’s REALLY good.

All of the overly negative fans (in my opinion) may turn out to be exactly right if the team continues to hover around .500 the rest of the way. And it’s possible that may happen. But there’s a lot of games to be played, and against some teams that aren’t near as good as a lot of the ones we have played so far.

This team has its flaws, no doubt, but there’s also quite a bit to like about it.
    Excellent post. We lack an ace and consistent hands in the pen. That’s a fact.

I think there’s a lot to like about this club otherwise.

As far as Deggs: im not saying his style can’t be successful. I just personally do not like it. Too many fundamentally unsound practices for my taste. I find him to be reactionary, compulsive and cheesy with the “let’s send a message” crap. Analytics has its place in sports, but it should not drive 100% of the decision making, in my opinion.

I do like his attitude toward toughness. I like the mentality he tries to instill in the players and I like the trust that he shows some guys. Still question his ability to build a team. We’ll see.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Excellent post. We lack an ace and consistent hands in the pen. That’s a fact.

I think there’s a lot to like about this club otherwise.

As far as Deggs: im not saying his style can’t be successful. I just personally do not like it. Too many fundamentally unsound practices for my taste. I find him to be reactionary, compulsive and cheesy with the “let’s send a message” crap. Analytics has its place in sports, but it should not drive 100% of the decision making, in my opinion.

I do like his attitude toward toughness. I like the mentality he tries to instill in the players and I like the trust that he shows some guys. Still question his ability to build a team. We’ll see.
    I agree with a lot of what you are saying.

I think the games are (at times) managed too much like MLB instead of college baseball. My opinion. I’m not big on lefty/lefty and righty/righty “matchups” when making pitching decisions, especially with a thin staff.

I also find it extremely hard to believe that there is enough information available at this level to “shift” on defense as much as we do. Wilson’s start last Sunday was a perfect example. He gave up two hits in the first inning, both of which were ground balls that went right to where the SS and then the 2B would normally be aligned. And by right handed hitters.

Maybe shift against a LH power hitter some, but shifting against RH hitters, and lefty singles and doubles hitters is WAY overthinking things…again, in my opinion.

We are also in agreement with the “message” sending stuff. And on the flip side, with the mentality being instilled. Maybe one is the product of the other, but it’s just not my preference. That said, I’m not the coach. Deggs is the guy with his job on the line, so those decisions are his to make. And I also don’t have a seat in the clubhouse or dugout, so there are a lot of things that go on that most of us are not privy to.

All of that said, I like the direction the program is heading. Yes, the staff walks (and hits) too many guys. And yes, the fielding hasn’t been great. But they are still moving guys around trying to find the right mix. It’s not shocking to me that TR would make an error playing 2B last night. But I get why he was there when you factor in trying to field a lineup when you know that you will need as much offense as you can get, due to not be able to match up with your Friday guy against theirs. Hopefully Marusak is back soon to settle the lineup.

The rest of this weekend and then next weekend should tell us a lot about what the rest of this season will be.

6. Default Re: BB G1: Louisiana 1, Troy 7

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    I agree with a lot of what you are saying.

I think the games are (at times) managed too much like MLB instead of college baseball. My opinion. I’m not big on lefty/lefty and righty/righty “matchups” when making pitching decisions, especially with a thin staff.

I also find it extremely hard to believe that there is enough information available at this level to “shift” on defense as much as we do. Wilson’s start last Sunday was a perfect example. He gave up two hits in the first inning, both of which were ground balls that went right to where the SS and then the 2B would normally be aligned. And by right handed hitters.

Maybe shift against a LH power hitter some, but shifting against RH hitters, and lefty singles and doubles hitters is WAY overthinking things…again, in my opinion.

We are also in agreement with the “message” sending stuff. And on the flip side, with the mentality being instilled. Maybe one is the product of the other, but it’s just not my preference. That said, I’m not the coach. Deggs is the guy with his job on the line, so those decisions are his to make. And I also don’t have a seat in the clubhouse or dugout, so there are a lot of things that go on that most of us are not privy to.

All of that said, I like the direction the program is heading. Yes, the staff walks (and hits) too many guys. And yes, the fielding hasn’t been great. But they are still moving guys around trying to find the right mix. It’s not shocking to me that TR would make an error playing 2B last night. But I get why he was there when you factor in trying to field a lineup when you know that you will need as much offense as you can get, due to not be able to match up with your Friday guy against theirs. Hopefully Marusak is back soon to settle the lineup.

The rest of this weekend and then next weekend should tell us a lot about what the rest of this season will be.
    That’s another thing. Conference play has started. Whyyyyy are we still tinkering with the defensive infield? I get that Max’s injury changes some things, and I like JBo as a utility guy, but he’s at least our 4th best option at 1st base. TR at second makes even less sense when you consider both Warner and Bobby have started to barrel up balls lately. When you know runs will be at a premium and coming off of Tommy’s last start, why would you not put your best possible defensive lineup out there? I’m pretty sure we can guess the answer to that question, but that’s some frustrating @ss shì+…

Quote Originally Posted by babysitter View Post
    This is a 3 (full seasons) rebuild. Maybe (Maybe) by 2024 we’ll see some more positive results. That’s just how it is.
    Deggs: This is a regional team
    babysitter: don’t expect positive results until 2024.

I’ll stick with Deggs’ standards for the program

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    Deggs: This is a regional team
    babysitter: don’t expect positive results until 2024.

I’ll stick with Deggs’ standards for the program
    And I really hope Deggs is right. Time will tell.

Bottom line: RPI is respectable at 56.

GA Southern: 4
    TX State: 14
    Coastal: 51
    Troy: 60
    S AL: 76
    AR LR: 101
    App State: 105
    GA State: 123
    ULM: 137
    Ark St.: 227
    UTA: 246

Default Re: BB Louisiana vs Troy G1

Quote Originally Posted by Skinnycajun View Post
    re: tipping.why let them know we know?
    Absolutely! Use it to your advantage and change it up. Is this rocket science?

Yall do realize this is the third time “tipping pitches” has come up in the past two seasons. It was said when Durke became started getting hit around last year and Aragehetti. Now again this weekend. There is so much technology and with unlimited video being used its understandly easier than in the past. Why cant we break the code of other teams and use it to our advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    Yall do realize this is the third time “tipping pitches” has come up in the past two seasons. It was said when Durke became started getting hit around last year and Aragehetti. Now again this weekend. There is so much technology and with unlimited video being used its understandly easier than in the past. Why cant we break the code of other teams and use it to our advantage.
    I think it should be noted that what Deggs accused their coach of, from my understanding, is different than last year. "Tipping" in my opinion is the pitcher doing something different on different pitches. For example, coming set at a different height. This sounded like the coach getting at an angle where he could either see between the catcher's legs or in the pitcher's glove. Two different things. I believe if you are able to pick up on something different or decode pitching signals, that's one thing. Looking in, outside of a runner on second base who naturally has the view, is bush league.

Yeah it was a sign stealing thing. Some teams don't have that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    I think it should be noted that what Deggs accused their coach of, from my understanding, is different than last year. "Tipping" in my opinion is the pitcher doing something different on different pitches. For example, coming set at a different height. This sounded like the coach getting at an angle where he could either see between the catcher's legs or in the pitcher's glove. Two different things. I believe if you are able to pick up on something different or decode pitching signals, that's one thing. Looking in, outside of a runner on second base who naturally has the view, is bush league.
    If you are "tipping" pitches as a pitcher, stop "tipping" them. Only problem here is that sometimes requires a pitching coach to recognize what your pitcher is doing and correct it.

Yes, signaling pitches from 2nd base is bush league but if the opposing team can do it, there is not enough baseball IQ on our team/pitching coach to prevent it.

If we are not trying to "steal" signals, its our own damn fault. I echo what Dad04 said in a previous post. This has been around as long as the game and it will not go away.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingCajun08 View Post
    If you are "tipping" pitches as a pitcher, stop "tipping" them. Only problem here is that sometimes requires a pitching coach to recognize what your pitcher is doing and correct it.

Yes, signaling pitches from 2nd base is bush league but if the opposing team can do it, there is not enough baseball IQ on our team/pitching coach to prevent it.

If we are not trying to "steal" signals, its our own damn fault. I echo what Dad04 said in a previous post. This has been around as long as the game and it will not go away.
    Take a deep breath and read what I said. The coach was a mile away from the coaches box in a place where he shouldn’t have been to see what pitch was coming. That is bull____ and deggs had every right to be ____ed. Any other form of sign stealing is on the team getting stolen from.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7

Thread Information