Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: BB G1: Louisiana 1, Troy 7

Default Re: BB Louisiana vs Troy G1

Quote Originally Posted by Skinnycajun View Post
    re: tipping.why let them know we know?
    OR…do something about it SO they know we know. Handle it!

2. Default Re: BB G1: Louisiana 1, Troy 7

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    Deggs is a top assistant just about anywhere in the country. He was great here in his prior stint bc he was extremely hungry with something to prove being he was out of baseball for a while and had a second chance. Idk if anything has changed, but his ability to run the entire organization is in question. It worked here bc he and Tony were polar opposites. Tony had the ability figure out the right mixture and had the final say on most things. Thats how i see it. We have either gotten away from what has made us successful on the mound whether that be in recruiting those kind of kids or the overall pitching philosophy. Everything starts on the mound. Very seldom did we have super power arms but we had pitchability. We pitched to contact and made plays behind them. I do think if we had that this year the offense would be enough to win more games.
    This is where I’m at, mostly.

In fairness to Deggs, Robe was able to recruit good pitching based on his track record of developing kids alone. Deggs doesn’t have that in his back pocket. HOWEVER, it’s well known that he’s a hitters coach. If we can’t recruit reliable arms, we should be out scoring people. Again, in fairness, the offense has improved. And Gainous is really good for Troy.

There is still something missing here…

Default Re: BB G1: Louisiana 1, Troy 7

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    The pattern is pretty easy to see. We don’t have an ace, we are paper thin in the bullpen and we can’t hit good pitching. It’s not that difficult.

We have a handful of really nice players but won’t go anywhere without quality arms.
    Don’t forget that obviously Deggs hates runners on 2nd and 3rd with just one out. He has left 15 to 20 runs on the bases by not moving runners and playing smart base ball. Maybe I’m used to watching Tony since the 90s but this is getting very frustrating and hard to watch.

Our RPI is better than I thought at 56.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d1/rpi

We have a coach that’s barely in his second full season and people are piling on like we belong in Omaha. Really ? Matt Deggs took over a program with zero talent in 2019 and the “Covid shortened” 2020 season in which only about 15 games were played. This is a total rebuild and some of you aren’t smart enough in the sport of baseball to notice. The last decent team here was the 2017 team and they failed to make a regional and had Leger, Marks, Demo and other arms. A single elimination conference tournament was a large part of that team not moving further. 2018 and 2019 (under Robe) WE SUCKED. Give this man a break. He came here managing minimal talent and is trying to get this program back to what it was. Quit whining and start supporting. This won’t happen overnight because there was no real talent to speak of when Deggs got here. But some of you know better with all your baseball wisdom. It’s laughable.

Default Re: BB Louisiana vs Troy G1

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Bailing on the coach again. I was wondering how long it would take until you reverted to the attitude you displayed last year . . .
    What did you think about the game last night and what do you think about the team so far this year?

Quote Originally Posted by babysitter View Post
    We have a coach that’s barely in his second full season and people are piling on like we belong in Omaha. Really ? Matt Deggs took over a program with zero talent in 2019 and the “Covid shortened” 2020 season in which only about 15 games were played. This is a total rebuild and some of you aren’t smart enough in the sport of baseball to notice. The last decent team here was the 2017 team and they failed to make a regional and had Leger, Marks, Demo and other arms. A single elimination conference tournament was a large part of that team not moving further. 2018 and 2019 (under Robe) WE SUCKED. Give this man a break. He came here managing minimal talent and is trying to get this program back to what it was. Quit whining and start supporting. This won’t happen overnight because there was no real talent to speak of when Deggs got here. But some of you know better with all your baseball wisdom. It’s laughable.
    It's all true. Everybody wants to win now, me included.

I've stated multiple times this is a rebuild, also noting So. Miss. missed 4 regionals in a row after they changed coaches.

We may be in the baseball wilderness awhile.

8. Default Re: BB G1: Louisiana 1, Troy 7

Thanks captain baseball. If you can’t tell the difference between managerial style and not having talent to work with, you’re opinion is irrelevant.

9. Default Re: BB G1: Louisiana 1, Troy 7

Also, not a single person is “piling on.” If you can’t have a nuanced conversation about the many facets of the game, just keep your mouth shut.

10. Default Re: BB Louisiana vs Troy G1

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    What did you think about the game last night and what do you think about the team so far this year?
    I was not able to watch the game last night.

This is the best post I’ve read on a baseball thread this year.

The Cajuns have played the 15th toughest schedule in the country to this point according to warrennolan.com, and are above .500

Way too many Cajun fans think this program should be 2000 or 2014 every year. That’s not how it works.

12. Default Re: BB G1: Louisiana 1, Troy 7

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post

The Cajuns have played the 15th toughest schedule in the country to this point according to warrennolan.com, and are above .500

Way too many Cajun fans think this program should be 2000 or 2014 every year. That’s not how it works.
    There we go. Thanks SF.

13. Default Re: BB G1: Louisiana 1, Troy 7

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post

I’m not seeing many people complaining about results. I’m mostly seeing people concerned about specific things they’re seeing in game. Also trends are emerging on where we clearly need to improve. Not understanding how that’s “piling on” or getting after Deggs.

I’m not seeing many people complaining about results. I’m mostly seeing people concerned about specific things they’re seeing in game. Also trends are emerging on where we clearly need to improve. Not understanding how that’s “piling on” or getting after Deggs.
    My how we forget some of the bad times between 2000 and 2014. Care to discuss those “Purveyor of Truth” ? No questionable coaching decisions ? No bad base-running ? That 2012 team couldn’t have beaten some high school teams. Let’s hear it. Since things are so bad right now. Let’s hear the wisdom.

My quote was more about the program in general, not Deggs specifically.

I’ve had quite a few moments of head scratching with some decisions. And I also agree with some of the posters about “pitchability” concerns. We have a bunch of guys with strikeout stuff but issues with command. Hopefully some of that will work itself out, although I think this team is a couple good arms short of being what we all want. We don’t have a legit Friday guy, and could definitely use another reliable guy in the pen.

The offense is coming around though. Last night was an example of facing a good Friday guy of a good team. I expect the Cajuns to score some runs the rest of the weekend.

Everybody always wants to schedule for RPI. Thats what was done this year. Rarely, outside of the elite conferences and programs, will you schedule that way and still have a great OOC record. We are 4-4 against Q1 teams right now. That’s REALLY good.

All of the overly negative fans (in my opinion) may turn out to be exactly right if the team continues to hover around .500 the rest of the way. And it’s possible that may happen. But there’s a lot of games to be played, and against some teams that aren’t near as good as a lot of the ones we have played so far.

This team has its flaws, no doubt, but there’s also quite a bit to like about it.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information