Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: BB: Louisiana 10, Mcneese 8

Default Re: Louisiana vs. Mcneese BB

I ll take it. Time for a winning streak

Oh, they got Darrell’s. Say what you want about McNeese or Lake Chuck, but a Darrell special is a reason to visit. Or go to the one in Jennings. I think that’s the same Darrell.

3. Default Re: Louisiana vs. Mcneese BB

Hmm is Lada the odd man out once Marushak returns??

Quote Originally Posted by ragncajncouyon View Post
    Hmm is Lada the odd man out once Marushak returns??
    It’ll either be him or Rincones at second

Schultz has given up 3 home runs in relief. Thats gotta get corrected if hes gonna work as a closer.

We could really use Carter Robinson and Jason Nelson right about now. Hopefully Chipper has turned a corner. We needed either him or Durke to step up and Marshall/LaFleur to get healthy so we have another lefty. Shifflet being in form wouldn’t hurt either. This 5-6 reliable arms thing is not working out for us.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    Oh, they got Darrell’s. Say what you want about McNeese or Lake Chuck, but a Darrell special is a reason to visit. Or go to the one in Jennings. I think that’s the same Darrell.
    I’m from Lake Charles living in Crowley. I still make that trip to Jennings every once in a while for some Darrel’s.

Quote Originally Posted by raginbeef View Post
    We could really use Carter Robinson and Jason Nelson right about now. Hopefully Chipper has turned a corner. We needed either him or Durke to step up and Marshall/LaFleur to get healthy so we have another lefty. Shifflet being in form wouldn’t hurt either. This 5-6 reliable arms thing is not working out for us.
    Awfully confusing how we have only about 3 guys you know what you are gonna get out of them. I truly think its a confidence issue with the rest of them. I dont think its about ability as much as it is mental.

9. Default ESPN 1420 Louisiana Bats Stay Hot With 10-8 Road Win Against McNeese State

The Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns baseball team had 17 hits for the second straight game, and they came back to take down the McNeese State Cowboys 10-8 on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    I’m from Lake Charles living in Crowley. I still make that trip to Jennings every once in a while for some Darrel’s.
    I stopped for lunch at the one in LC a few weeks ago on my way back from Houston. The Darrell Special is legit. I know we’ve got a lot of great poor boy restaurants in Lafayette, but I would not hate it if Darrell’s wanted a location here. Maybe having it out of town makes it more special, though. The Jack Special at Pop’s downtown is an excellent alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    Rocco may be the best Cajun hitter in a long time when he gets drafted.
    He reminds me of Kyle Clement at his peak.

12. Default Re: Louisiana vs. Mcneese BB

Quote Originally Posted by Rougarou View Post
    He reminds me of Kyle Clement at his peak.
    Hmm… interesting comp.
    When’s the last time we've had a RELIABLE bat in this lineup like this?

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Hmm… interesting comp.
    When’s the last time we've had a RELIABLE bat in this lineup like this?
    I like the Clement comp too, although Rocco is a bigger, stronger, faster version.

As far as reliable bats, someone needs to start talking about what Heath Hood is doing…so I will.

Hood started the season 0 for 10. He was putting the ball in play, but wasn’t having any luck finding a hole. At one point, he was 3-24 after smoking a ball right at the first baseman. This was the Saturday game against S. Miss and it immediately followed the Kimple lead off triple…the infamous one when he was stranded there and all of the clueless “fans” decided the team was awful and soft and the coach is dumb and all of that.

I told a couple buddies of mine at that time that Hood was the most snake bit player on this team and that I hoped the coaches were seeing it and that he would continue to get opportunities. They obviously did.

His next AB in that game, he hit a ball up the middle that “had eyes” and found its way into CF for a hit.

Since that time (and including that single), Hood is 12-20 (.600) and has raised his season batting average to .341

From 0-10 to 3-24 to 15-44. The kid is sizzling hot. And that’s not to mention that he’s made a few REALLY nice plays in the OF.

Brock is another one that hasn’t gotten near the results so far that he’s deserved. The kid barrels baseballs. I wouldn’t be surprised if the game starts to pay him back the way it has for Hood soon. And we may have seen the beginning of that last night with his 3 hits…although his last AB he hit a laser for an out. Stay tuned…

Kimple is another guy that needs some mention. He strikes out quite a bit, but that kid has been extremely consistent this season. He’s had at least one hit in 13 of his 15 games…while having multiple hits in 5 of the 15. And while he doesn’t look like a “burner” as a runner, he’s always making something happen on the base paths.

Finally, Kyle Debarge. After beginning the season (and his college career) 3 for 18, Debarge has gone 15-44 (.341) over the last 11 games. His future is obviously very bright.

Marusak coming back, and being in his previous form, would really lengthen this lineup and make it pretty darn salty. While I hate that he’s missed so much time, I think its been a bit of a blessing with the emergence of Hood and Will Veillon…who’s also been really good.

I said in another post that once Marusak is back, and if they can get one of Lada, Rincones, Willis, or Brandon going…this has a chance to be one of the better offensive lineups we’ve seen here in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Yea, I'm a little different. How long do you want to handle him with kit gloves? This is college, he can't just pitch batting practice, he has to deliver under pressure at some point. Putting him in to start inning hasn't worked out well for him either. They need innings from him during the week to keep other pitchers in their roles for the weekend. His control has been a problem since high-school, it seems he still hasn't gotten that straightened out.
    Agree T. Seth even said point blank that Durke and Menard need to come out and prove it. Durke's situation wasnt begging for a short hook either. He got the first 2 guys easy. When you're stuck on 2 outs its always going to be "just gotta get this next guy." If it's all in his head/confidence, you can't keep just bringing him out for 1 or 2 outs, hoping he gets those guys, and if someone gets on then pull him. That's not helping anyone.

I firmly believe he needs to work through it and make it happen. What happened last year was regrettable, but at some point it either gets ironed out or it can't be used as a crutch any more.

Menard came out and did what he had to on the other hand, but you never know what his next outing will look like.

None of this is to say that I'm sold on the pitching staff, the coaching of those pitchers, the pitching system, etc. I have confidence the hitting will be there at the end of the season to some extent, but I don't have that confidence in pitching. I dont really know how much pure arm talent we have either.

15. Default Re: Louisiana vs. Mcneese BB

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    I like the Clement comp too, although Rocco is a bigger, stronger, faster version.

As far as reliable bats, someone needs to start talking about what Heath Hood is doing…so I will.

Hood started the season 0 for 10. He was putting the ball in play, but wasn’t having any luck finding a hole. At one point, he was 3-24 after smoking a ball right at the first baseman. This was the Saturday game against S. Miss and it immediately followed the Kimple lead off triple…the infamous one when he was stranded there and all of the clueless “fans” decided the team was awful and soft and the coach is dumb and all of that.

I told a couple buddies of mine at that time that Hood was the most snake bit player on this team and that I hoped the coaches were seeing it and that he would continue to get opportunities. They obviously did.

His next AB in that game, he hit a ball up the middle that “had eyes” and found its way into CF for a hit.

Since that time (and including that single), Hood is 12-20 (.600) and has raised his season batting average to .341

From 0-10 to 3-24 to 15-44. The kid is sizzling hot. And that’s not to mention that he’s made a few REALLY nice plays in the OF.

Brock is another one that hasn’t gotten near the results so far that he’s deserved. The kid barrels baseballs. I wouldn’t be surprised if the game starts to pay him back the way it has for Hood soon. And we may have seen the beginning of that last night with his 3 hits…although his last AB he hit a laser for an out. Stay tuned…

Kimple is another guy that needs some mention. He strikes out quite a bit, but that kid has been extremely consistent this season. He’s had at least one hit in 13 of his 15 games…while having multiple hits in 5 of the 15. And while he doesn’t look like a “burner” as a runner, he’s always making something happen on the base paths.

Finally, Kyle Debarge. After beginning the season (and his college career) 3 for 18, Debarge has gone 15-44 (.341) over the last 11 games. His future is obviously very bright.

Marusak coming back, and being in his previous form, would really lengthen this lineup and make it pretty darn salty. While I hate that he’s missed so much time, I think its been a bit of a blessing with the emergence of Hood and Will Veillon…who’s also been really good.

I said in another post that once Marusak is back, and if they can get one of Lada, Rincones, Willis, or Brandon going…this has a chance to be one of the better offensive lineups we’ve seen here in a while.
    Great analysis. It just takes a couple of players coming together at the same time to completely change the effectiveness of a team.

But remember, only Cantrelle got the benefit of this analysis on this board. Maybe we have a few Cantrelle's on this team and a lot to look forward to in the next couple of months.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information