Thread: Men's Tennis: #38 Louisiana Completes UTRGV Match, Increases Win Streak to 13 Matches

1. UL Tennis Men's Tennis: #38 Louisiana Completes UTRGV Match, Increases Win Streak to 13 Matches

The No. 38-ranked Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Men's Tennis team wrapped up a 13th consecutive victory on Saturday, March 12 at Cajun Courts, completing a weather-suspended match with UTRGV capturing a 6-1 triumph.

2. Default Re: Men's Tennis: #38 Louisiana Completes UTRGV Match, Increases Win Streak to 13 Matches

Coach Godin also picked up another huge match as the cajuns will travel to #34 Oklahoma.

3. Default Re: Men's Tennis: #38 Louisiana Completes UTRGV Match, Increases Win Streak to 13 Matches

He's a schedULer.

It can be done.

Default Re: Men's Tennis: #38 Louisiana Completes UTRGV Match, Increases Win Streak to 13 Matches

Does tennis not set a schedule?
    I don't understand how a schedule can be so fluid (during the season).

5. Default Re: Men's Tennis: #38 Louisiana Completes UTRGV Match, Increases Win Streak to 13 Matches

Yes they do. And this is not normally the case that you add matches late in the season. And I don’t know how Coach Godin is doing it. But it is a good thing. Specifically if he can win 1 or both of these.

Default Re: Men's Tennis: #38 Louisiana Completes UTRGV Match, Increases Win Streak to 13 Matches

Well, this sounds like a novel idea.
    What if basketball could do this?!
    What if basketball could have one or two open dates during the season. For example, the week they play ULM. That is usually the only game that week. They could use the open Thursday to play an opponent that would help their sos, oc schedule, rpi, net, etc. Now, this would have to be a NCAA-wide practice so there would be other schools with open dates available to play. Just trying to think outside the box.

Saw it happen year before last with Coastal and BYU in football. I think it’s been done in basketball before. Would really help some mid-majors that are trying to solidify their resumes before March

8. Default Re: Men's Tennis: #38 Louisiana Completes UTRGV Match, Increases Win Streak to 13 Matches

Quote Originally Posted by raginbeef View Post
    Saw it happen year before last with Coastal and BYU in football. I think it’s been done in basketball before. Would really help some mid-majors that are trying to solidify their resumes before March
    I remember when Marty Fletcher was here we played a game late in the season, right before the conference tournament that I don't think was on the original schedule.

But look bottom line is that Coach is trying to improve our placement by playing good teams late in the season, this is a huge risk vs reward process. Playing two nationally ranked teams right in the heart of the conference schedule is tough, but if we win 1 or both of these we are probably a Top 25 team. If we lose it could hurt us in our ranking, but as long as we still win the conference and tournament it won't matter. The reward is much greater than the risk. And if teams like OU and FAU are willing to schedule us and it is not a huge issue on travel and school, why not take a chance. We convinced OU to play us in Fort Worth, TX on Sunday of this week, we are in Arlington on Friday of this week. That is a 26 minute drive for us. OU does not have a match this week, they were off they were defeated by #26 Tulsa last week on the 13th and do not play again until Sunday the 27th vs the University of Texas. The fact that we were able to make this happen so quickly without completely disrupting our travel schedule is fantastic.

It will suck if we lose vs OU this weekend, but it won't be the end of the world. I think Coach Godin is trying to see where we stand vs the type of competition we could face in Round 1 of the NCAA's.

Best of luck to him and the Cajuns.
    I am all for it.

10. Ragin' Cajuns Men's Tennis: Men's Tennis Holding Steady Inside the Top 40 of ITA Team Rankings

For the fourth consecutive week the Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Men's Tennis team was ranked inside the Top 40 of the of the ITA Collegiate Tennis Division I Men's National Rankings.

11. Default Re: Men's Tennis: #38 Louisiana Completes UTRGV Match, Increases Win Streak to 13 Matches

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    I remember when Marty Fletcher was here we played a game late in the season, right before the conference tournament that I don't think was on the original schedule.

But look bottom line is that Coach is trying to improve our placement by playing good teams late in the season, this is a huge risk vs reward process. Playing two nationally ranked teams right in the heart of the conference schedule is tough, but if we win 1 or both of these we are probably a Top 25 team. If we lose it could hurt us in our ranking, but as long as we still win the conference and tournament it won't matter. The reward is much greater than the risk. And if teams like OU and FAU are willing to schedule us and it is not a huge issue on travel and school, why not take a chance. We convinced OU to play us in Fort Worth, TX on Sunday of this week, we are in Arlington on Friday of this week. That is a 26 minute drive for us. OU does not have a match this week, they were off they were defeated by #26 Tulsa last week on the 13th and do not play again until Sunday the 27th vs the University of Texas. The fact that we were able to make this happen so quickly without completely disrupting our travel schedule is fantastic.

It will suck if we lose vs OU this weekend, but it won't be the end of the world. I think Coach Godin is trying to see where we stand vs the type of competition we could face in Round 1 of the NCAA's.
    Dave, check your PM please.

Thread Information