Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Other Shoe Dropped

1. Default Re: The Other Shoe Dropped

Quote Originally Posted by 60swerethebest View Post
    If Mike becomes a saint, would that make us third class relics?? We’ve touched him! Of course we’re relics anyhow. Archaeologically.
    Does that mean you can be sold?

Just go for the gusto. Sell yourself to Mike and become a second class relic.

Default Re: The Other Shoe Dropped

Quote Originally Posted by IHateLaState View Post
    Sorry I'll go to confession but I am reveling in what is going on over there. I was there when that fan base were such A-holes after Tony R got kicked out of a regional baseball game. I have almost gotten in fist fights with those folks for having the brazen balls to cheer for my team while they were kicking our arses in football.

No I want them to feel every bit of anguish they are feeling. And not just basket ball. LACK OF INSTITUTIONAL CONTROL should mean sanctions in all sports if the NCAA has any sense of integrity

https://www.si.com/college/2022/03/1.-embarrassment

The attached article from Sports Illustrated is more critical of a particular institution than anything I have read in my life. That should provide them plenty of anguish. Despite my earlier post, I can't say that this is something that is not deserved. You reap what you sow.

The idiots over on tiggger poopings are arguing they have already "paid the price" for their football sins. Last year at5-6 in a Covid year they "self imposed" a bowl ban Give me a break And all they want to talk about is the $$$ changing hands. Seem to have forgot the Title IX violations and the rapes etc. errrr aledged rapesthat were ignored

The idiots over on tiggger poopings are arguing they have already "paid the price" for their football sins. Last year at5-6 in a Covid year they "self imposed" a bowl ban Give me a break And all they want to talk about is the $$$ changing hands. Seem to have forgot the Title IX violations and the rapes etc. errrr aledged rapesthat were ignored
    It is possible they kept Wade on for that very reason. When the perverbial “this day” finally came, the ouster of Wade will make all the news, esp. on eve of tournament. Meanwhile that makes three head coaches now gone so they could lead the media and others to remain distracted and not dig deeper and punish the past further by scapegoating those not there anymore so the future teams rebound faster and maybe even unscathed.

Those Alice Shoe guys can try to wish this away all they want, and that is fine.

The Title IX mess will rip the scab right off. Won't hurt the players much, but the institution and individuals within the department will be bloodied.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    South Al is hosting SLU

Costal is hosting Maryland-eastern shore

App is hosting USC Upstate

Need to stay away from this mess, someone is going to be left holding the bag. 21 teams in so far, 7 others said no.

Meanwhile at USM.
    "In the meantime, we USM fans learned via Twitter Saturday that we were retaining men's coach Jay Ladner, who was 7-26 (1-17)- and two of the wins were against non-NCAA teams. Today we learned that he was given an extension sometime in the course of his contract, and he has a fully-guaranteed buyout of $650,000 and two seasons left. His record at USM is 24-65 (10-43) and his overall record at USM and SLU is 100-153. So here comes an easy out for your hoops teams next year, SBC".

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Need to stay away from this mess, someone is going to be left holding the bag. 21 teams in so far, 7 others said no.

Meanwhile at USM.
    "In the meantime, we USM fans learned via Twitter Saturday that we were retaining men's coach Jay Ladner, who was 7-26 (1-17)- and two of the wins were against non-NCAA teams. Today we learned that he was given an extension sometime in the course of his contract, and he has a fully-guaranteed buyout of $650,000 and two seasons left. His record at USM is 24-65 (10-43) and his overall record at USM and SLU is 100-153. So here comes an easy out for your hoops teams next year, SBC".
    Usm fans are not happy about it either. They have to save money for the sbc move. They at least have a excuse as to not buying out a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    Usm fans are not happy about it either. They have to save money for the sbc move. They at least have a excuse as to not buying out a coach.
    It’s the “sometimes in the course of his contract” that’s an issue with fans I’m sure.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    You can’t buy any player at the college level. While the NCAA has quickly shown that it is ill prepared to manage Name Image and Likeness deals, the one thing they do make clear is you can’t “pay to play.” Are schools and boosters doing that, absolutely. Can you do that under the rules, no. Not in any sport.

I’ve heard Alice shoe fans make the argument that Wade paying players is legal now. No it’s not.
    I'm serious, I don't understand what the "portal" isreally I don't. The player goes into the portal and gets money from a school that buy's him.right?/wrong? How does this work. Didn't Coach watchacallem just leave here and buy most of the best players? I'm confused. Who gets the money from these portal deals is it the player or the school that's already paying the player to go to school amongst other things? What happens with the scholarship money the player has been paid?

10. Default Re: The Other Shoe Dropped

Quote Originally Posted by olhardhead View Post
    I'm serious, I don't understand what the "portal" isreally I don't. The player goes into the portal and gets money from a school that buy's him.right?/wrong? How does this work. Didn't Coach watchacallem just leave here and buy most of the best players? I'm confused. Who gets the money from these portal deals is it the player or the school that's already paying the player to go to school amongst other things? What happens with the scholarship money the player has been paid?
    At its core the portal has nothing to do with money and predates this money for your face stuff.

The school cannot offer a player, businesses can and they keep their scholarship. It is illegal for the school itself to offer a player money.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunMarineBBK View Post
    The school cannot offer a player, businesses can and they keep their scholarship. It is illegal for the school itself to offer a player money.
    Who will audit? NCAA cant even seem to keep tabs on practice time limits or even attending school. I have heard of many millions of dollars in endorsement deals for these NIL athletes, but have yet to see or hear any of the commercials or advertisements.

A now legal “no-show” job?

Quote Originally Posted by RougaWhite&Blue View Post
    Who will audit? NCAA cant even seem to keep tabs on practice time limits or even attending school. I have heard of many millions of dollars in endorsement deals for these NIL athletes, but have yet to see or hear any of the commercials or advertisements.

A now legal “no-show” job?
    What market are you in? If you're in a Louisiana market, hard to miss the Gordon Mckernan TV commercials featuring his "players"its out there, but not always as obvious as a TV or radio spot.

Thank you. I am in a MEAC/CUSA market which will soon become a Sunbelt market.

Are there any rules, does the spot have to be created within x number of days after payment received? Is the business’ prior ad expense levels a factor, i.e. can a 100pct increase be justified and legal?

Quote Originally Posted by RougaWhite&Blue View Post
    Thank you. I am in a MEAC/CUSA market which will soon become a Sunbelt market.

Are there any rules, does the spot have to be created within x number of days after payment received? Is the business’ prior ad expense levels a factor, i.e. can a 100pct increase be justified and legal?
    What?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information