Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7

Thread: MBB: Louisiana 66, Troy 57

Default Re: MBB: Louisiana 66, Troy 57

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    I would like to apologize, I was wrong about Michael Thomas. Last year I stated that I did not think Michael Thomas was a D1 basketball player and I think I was accurate about the way he played last year, but he has steadily grown into becoming a very capable PG at the D1 level and considering he is only a Sophomore and has 2 more years to play he is going to be a very good PG. I don't love the fact that he is small, but if he improved this much from season 1 to season 2, I am very excited to see him in years 3 and 4.
    He’s definitely improved tremendously. My only complaint about him would be he dribbles too much at times and gets his pocket picked. But overall I think the offense is better when he is in. And as far as his size, I think he makes up for it with his speed on the defensive end. He’s been really good

2. Default Re: MBB: Louisiana 66, Troy 57

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    He’s definitely improved tremendously. My only complaint about him would be he dribbles too much at times and gets his pocket picked. But overall I think the offense is better when he is in. And as far as his size, I think he makes up for it with his speed on the defensive end. He’s been really good
    agreed.

Default Re: MBB: Louisiana vs Troy

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    Fk Georgia state! We are the standard!!!
    I know that is a joke. However, in reality Georgia State IS the standard in SBC basketball. They have had more success by far than any other league team since they joined the conference.

I would like to apologize, I was wrong about Michael Thomas. Last year I stated that I did not think Michael Thomas was a D1 basketball player and I think I was accurate about the way he played last year, but he has steadily grown into becoming a very capable PG at the D1 level and considering he is only a Sophomore and has 2 more years to play he is going to be a very good PG. I don't love the fact that he is small, but if he improved this much from season 1 to season 2, I am very excited to see him in years 3 and 4.
    Under normal circumstances Thomas would have redshirted last year but the covid rule made a redshirt pointless so he played a little bit. He is still technically a freshman, so he still has 3 years. I said even the little I saw him play last year I thought he could develop into an solid mid major level starting PG. I don't think he will ever be a stud all conference level guy but with the right pieces around him he can be successful in his role.

One thing I noticed last night with the Georgia State/App game was Georgia State's ability to penetrate the paint inside against App. The difference is that we have Akwuba and Brown utilizing the paint defensively more effectively than we have all season (I've been screaming this all year). To me, that's been the biggest difference in this tournament. We are forcing teams to shoot more from the outside of take more jumpshots in general due to our size in the paint. I expect more of the same tonight. Georgia State will have to be able to really shoot against us, which they're definitely capable of. But they'll at least have to EARN their points. Offensively, if we continue to be patient in distributing the ball without rushing shots, we will be the ones cutting the nets at the end of the game. Also, it's very hard to beat a team three times in a season. UTA and Texas State learned that just this weekend.

6. Default Re: MBB: Louisiana 66, Troy 57

Biggest reason for success this past week, in my view:
    1. Best defense I've seen a Cajun team play in years. Relentless.
    2. Mike Thomas playing under control and trusting in his own abilities.
    3. Greg Williams being the player we know he should be.
    4. Team seems to be playing TOGETHER. That hasn't been the case most of this season.

Pull out your church shoes fellas Feels like we're jitter buggin' our way into March

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Also, it's very hard to beat a team three times in a season. UTA and Texas State learned that just this weekend.
    Banking on this. Let's make it 3 for 3!

Quote Originally Posted by IberiaCajun View Post
    Banking on this. Let's make it 3 for 3!
    2014 we lost to them by 3 and 7. This year we lost to them by 4 and 7. I say we win by 3

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    One thing I noticed last night with the Georgia State/App game was Georgia State's ability to penetrate the paint inside against App. The difference is that we have Akwuba and Brown utilizing the paint defensively more effectively than we have all season (I've been screaming this all year). To me, that's been the biggest difference in this tournament. We are forcing teams to shoot more from the outside of take more jumpshots in general due to our size in the paint. I expect more of the same tonight. Georgia State will have to be able to really shoot against us, which they're definitely capable of. But they'll at least have to EARN their points. Offensively, if we continue to be patient in distributing the ball without rushing shots, we will be the ones cutting the nets at the end of the game. Also, it's very hard to beat a team three times in a season. UTA and Texas State learned that just this weekend.
    It has taken quite awhile for Jordan and Theo to learn to play together in games. One of the reasons for that is they have actually been both available for about half the games this season. Recall Theo had a foot injury in December and Covid in January. Jordan has missed time due to a concussion, an injured arm, Covid, and then contact tracing. Yes, practice helps but there is actually nothing like game experience to truly learn. Also, often in practice they were on opposite teams during scrimmages. Thought process there was that would make them individually improve. Keeping our turnovers down is key in order to make the Panthers have to attack our half court defense. They want to be able to run off steals and deflections. Thomas and Wesley don't need to score, they just need to make the right read. Big men have to be quick in passing the ball out of the post when doubled. Turnovers can occur down there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    4. Team seems to be playing TOGETHER. That hasn't been the case most of this season.
    Noticed this as well. Seems like they are playing well together and are actually happy for one another. Didn’t sense that early in the year.

I am not convinced we are a very good team, however, we are playing pretty well right now and it is great to see.

I also believe that Marlin is a good man, but this should be his last season.

Having said that, I am ALL IN on the Cajuns winning tonight and going to March Madness. It would be great for the university, a once in a lifetime opportunity for these young men, but I also understand that it would probably mean that Coach Marlin is back next season.

Geaux Cajuns !!

Let's have this discussion tomorrow. I hope this statement ages well. He will be tested tonight big time with their on ball pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    I am not convinced we are a very good team, however, we are playing pretty well right now and it is great to see.

I also believe that Marlin is a good man, but this should be his last season.

Having said that, I am ALL IN on the Cajuns winning tonight and going to March Madness. It would be great for the university, a once in a lifetime opportunity for these young men, but I also understand that it would probably mean that Coach Marlin is back next season.

Geaux Cajuns !!
    If he wins tonight, it won't be his last season unless he retires. I think his contract calls for immediate and automatic extensions for certain accomplishments, winning the SBC tournament and going to NCAA is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    1. Best defense I've seen a Cajun team play in years. Relentless.
    2. Mike Thomas playing under control and trusting in his own abilities.
    3. Greg Williams being the player we know he should be.

Pull out your church shoes fellas Feels like we're jitter buggin' our way into March
    Just having less guys available has automatically created a rotation where guys could settle in and get into rhythm. We were playing way too many guys early on and guys just couldn't find a groove. Williams playing the 3 on the wing on offense has allowed him to open up his game and not have to be a ball handler as much. Need him to step up and be the player he was rated as if we want to advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    Under normal circumstances Thomas would have redshirted last year but the covid rule made a redshirt pointless so he played a little bit. He is still technically a freshman, so he still has 3 years. I said even the little I saw him play last year I thought he could develop into an solid mid major level starting PG. I don't think he will ever be a stud all conference level guy but with the right pieces around him he can be successful in his role.
    Just needs to continue working on his shot and play under control more. One of the other things about this team and how its playing is guys have grown up. Look at Dou, last night he had chances to just take the ball into the lane and put up a wild shot or jack up a 3 and he didn't and it opened up an open shot for a better shooter.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7

Thread Information