Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: BB G3: Louisiana 2, Southern Miss 4

Default Re: BB G3: Louisiana 2, Southern Miss 4

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    100%

Leadoff triple and cant score?

How many base runners were thrown out?

Do we have guys that can bunt?
    This is what upsets me the most. You lead off the game Saturday with 2 bunts (wtf) but won't sacrifice to score or move base runners.

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    This is what upsets me the most. You lead off the game Saturday with 2 bunts (wtf) but won't sacrifice to score or move base runners.
    Lol

Default Re: BB southern miss rubber match

Quote Originally Posted by laf1049 View Post
    This is not a bad team,, but dam sure not the "regional" team Deggs was talking about before the season started. As we improve- so will everyone else we would lose 8 of 10 games with So Miss, they ARE a team that will probably be in a regional- just like last year. Point is- their players are better than our players- Deggs must get better pitching and better hitting to compete with a team like that. We might win 30 games-- 35-- 40? Doubt it-- but the scores was not indicative of the game- Sat and Sun were not close-- even if we had the timely hitting- you get the feeling that we had no chance of slowing down their offense. That being said- would like to see us put a damper on Tech- if we get to play. On a positive note- Chipper is improving- glad to see it. Durke- more of the same-- didn't appear to be over throwing like in the past but still showed little command. When he missed- it was by 2 feet or more
    To your points…they have better baseball players. We might have better athletes. Their pitching was impressive. Saturdays guy had pitchability like guys we have had here in the past. I dont find we have those kind of pitchers here anymore that can rely on their stuff and pitch to contact. And when you miss, you miss by 2 inches not a foot. The Sunday guy just overpowered some of our guys, but not all of them. We faced two sub 1 era guys, and we didnt bunt enough in my opinion to score a run or two early to get us on the board. We knew runs would be hard to come by and we didnt do it. Do we have the talent? Idk…we have some, and hopefully some continues to develop thru conference play. We gotta get better quick. Good news is that i havent seen us take a big step backwards in the last 10 or so days. So thats a good sign. We will be challenged again this week and im curious how we respond tomm night against Tech. They are a good ballclub.

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    To your points…they have better baseball players. We might have better athletes. Their pitching was impressive. Saturdays guy had pitchability like guys we have had here in the past. I dont find we have those kind of pitchers here anymore that can rely on their stuff and pitch to contact. And when you miss, you miss by 2 inches not a foot. The Sunday guy just overpowered some of our guys, but not all of them. We faced two sub 1 era guys, and we didnt bunt enough in my opinion to score a run or two early to get us on the board. We knew runs would be hard to come by and we didnt do it. Do we have the talent? Idk…we have some, and hopefully some continues to develop thru conference play. We gotta get better quick. Good news is that i havent seen us take a big step backwards in the last 10 or so days. So thats a good sign. We will be challenged again this week and im curious how we respond tomm night against Tech. They are a good ballclub.
    Connor Cooke and Spencer Arrighetti seem like so long ago

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    Connor Cooke and Spencer Arrighetti seem like so long ago
    Yes… but my point is, and i may be wrong here, but everything seems to be about power and spin rate and not pitchability and movement. Maybe thats how you win now days but sink and run sure made us successful alot in the past. We won alot of games with guys throwing 87-88 that could manipulate the baseball

Deggs made a postgame comment yesterday about taking what other teams give you. Southern Miss was able to do that (score two runs off the lead walks) and we didn't (Kimple lead off triple; still no run). That has been sort of an issue so far this season with the bats and with pitching. I will say that we are making better contact at the plate than we have previously. The only difference is that we are hitting straight to people, but I expect that to improve as the season goes on.

Ironically, this team is close to being great. Starting last week's 10 game stretch, I said 6-4 would be where we need to be. So far, we are 3-2. Let's see where we stand in that second part of the stretch starting tomorrow night in Ruston.

Conf. tournament is a crap shoot. We will likely need 38-40 wins for an at large bid. Not sure I see 40 win potential yet. We could heat up. Rocco certainly is. As has been mentioned, not sure we have enough finesse on the mound win most close low score games yet. Hunter Riggins on Saturday was a surgeon. We need some of that.

Yes… but my point is, and i may be wrong here, but everything seems to be about power and spin rate and not pitchability and movement. Maybe thats how you win now days but sink and run sure made us successful alot in the past. We won alot of games with guys throwing 87-88 that could manipulate the baseball
    We've played 6 teams if I'm not mistaken that are picked to win their conferences, not divisions. We are not better than any of them at this time, 11 games into the season. So this is not surprising to me, although it's somewhat disappointing. I think once we get our lead-off hitter back in the lineup, the team will be more consistent offensively. But it's time for guys like Robinson, Laday, Brandon and Willis to start hitting. These are not new guys in the program. The pitching will need to do the same. We can't compete with 4, or 5 pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    We've played 6 teams if I'm not mistaken that are picked to win their conferences, not divisions. We are not better than any of them at this time, 11 games into the season. So this is not surprising to me, although it's somewhat disappointing. I think once we get our lead-off hitter back in the lineup, the team will be more consistent offensively. But it's time for guys like Robinson, Laday, Brandon and Willis to start hitting. These are not new guys in the program. The pitching will need to do the same. We can't compete with 4, or 5 pitchers.
    Ill just be suprised if more than 2 of those guys u mention get on track. I hope im dead wrong.

This

Not sure when we, as a fan base, started giving ourselves gold stars for "being close" against ranked teams, for "having better athletes", etc. Don't get a "W" on the schedule for those. The flippant, "it's early, we'll get there". What? You produce from Game 1. You don't produce, it's on to the next guy.

There is clearly a much improved talent pool on the field, but where are the results? I want this program to succeed as much as anybody, and performance can flip in an instance. It's been done plenty of times before-but it is time for it to flip.

I HATE to give any other school credit, but for those that watched this series this weekend, what USM showed. how they played.that is what a UL team used to be on the field and what we should be year after year.

AT THE PLATE: They never went awaytook advantage of opportunities they were given.grind out at-bats.timely hitting.intensity at the plate.barrelling balls.playing with confidence and swagger.wore down our staff.battled battled battled

ON THE MOUND: Warriors on the mound.charged our hitters.command and control with velocity and movement.changed speeds.worked DEEP into games.Saturday guy (Farquhar twin) was spectacular.Sunday starter had big league stuff and dared our guys to hit it.

Those are the type of performances we expect to see and have seen in years past.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin18 View Post
    Not sure when we, as a fan base, started giving ourselves gold stars for "being close" against ranked teams, for "having better athletes", etc. Don't get a "W" on the schedule for those. The flippant, "it's early, we'll get there". What? You produce from Game 1. You don't produce, it's on to the next guy.

There is clearly a much improved talent pool on the field, but where are the results? I want this program to succeed as much as anybody, and performance can flip in an instance. It's been done plenty of times before-but it is time for it to flip.

I HATE to give any other school credit, but for those that watched this series this weekend, what USM showed. how they played.that is what a UL team used to be on the field and what we should be year after year.

AT THE PLATE: They never went awaytook advantage of opportunities they were given.grind out at-bats.timely hitting.intensity at the plate.barrelling balls.playing with confidence and swagger.wore down our staff.battled battled battled

ON THE MOUND: Warriors on the mound.charged our hitters.command and control with velocity and movement.changed speeds.worked DEEP into games.Saturday guy (Farquhar twin) was spectacular.Sunday starter had big league stuff and dared our guys to hit it.

Those are the type of performances we expect to see and have seen in years past.
    Post of the month right hereexelante!

USM has 14 regional appearances including the last five in a row, and a trip to Omaha in the last 19 seasons. They look like a regional team this year to me. I used to think of them as a baseball program with similar success rate. They did miss five regionals in a row after the transition from Corky Palmer. We have missed 5 in a row, well 4 really with 2020 cancelled. They should be a good comp for us. We are not there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    USM has 14 regional appearances including the last five in a row, and a trip to Omaha in the last 19 seasons. They look like a regional team this year to me. I used to think of them as a baseball program with similar success rate. They did miss five regionals in a row after the transition from Corky Palmer. We have missed 5 in a row, well 4 really with 2020 cancelled. They should be a good comp for us. We are not there yet.
    We are not there yet ? It's past time to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin18 View Post

Don't look now but watched Texas State last night-- they are 10-3 now-- lost a one run game to Texas They play alot like USM,, it won't be pretty in San marcos unless we improve alot

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information