Thread: Cajun Golf

1. UL Golf Cajun Golf

I really hate to say this, because I like Theo as a person, but we have a serious Golf problem at UL.

Coach Sliman has been the coach here since 2008 with 1 NCAA appearance. Since that appearance in the 2011-12 season here is how we have finished in the SBC since.

7th
    4th
    9th
    9th
    10th
    7th
    9th
    Cancelled because of Covid
    8th
    and this year in 2 tournaments, we have placed 12 of 14 and currently in a tournament where we are 13-16 and in both tournaments finishing well behind other SBC teams.

I was really hoping with the upgrade to facilities at Oakbourne and the fact that he was an alumni we would have some success, but unfortunately I think it might be time to turn the page and look for someone else to lead this sport.

Thoughts?

2. Default Re: Cajun Golf

I think Theo has a perma-job here. I like him too, but that’s kind of the problem. Everyone likes him. He does a great job bringing money into the coffers and he has big time relationships all over the area with people that would riot if he were to be fired. And frankly, it’s a bit of a country club feeling around Cajun Golf.

I think we’re better off than we were prior to Theo, but certainly not thriving. (We did have a young man shoot 66 final round and finish solo 3rd in the tourney last week. We’ve performed well individually at times, but as a team, it’s just the same mediocre stuff every season.)

Default Re: Cajun Golf

I understand what both of you are saying.

At the same time, the undercurrent of “he’s one of us” is so readily accepted as an excuse.

Look at Jim “Horrible”…10 years to beat TOSU…or Juwan Howard, who in the real world HR would of ran him in a hurry…Michigan men that have overstayed their shelf life. Is that what we want, coaches allowed to stay too long?

So if CMD ends up tooling along with Bustle like numbers, it’s ok?

Or Garry and a decade of no WBB NCAA appearances, that’s ok? He does have a chance this year to make it, but 10 years?

Could it be right out apathy towards non football sports? Marlin has been surfing the wave on one NCAA tournament and one regular season title. Many feel that’s too long, but if he was”one of us”, he’d probably be ok?

This isn’t meant to bash anyone, just take off the vermilion shaded glasses and ask yourself if any of this is acceptable?

How much does a golf coach actually teach these kids? They all come in with their game in place most have taken lessons from pros for many years. The college coaches do nothing fundamentally for them. If you have a guy who can raise money and drive the van in college golf that is all you need. Golf is not football, basketball, or baseball you have to really be looking for it to find out what kind of success or lack of success they are having. Most people don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    Most people don't care.
    Thank you.

6. Default Re: Cajun Golf

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Thank you.
    And he’s not wrong, but if we’re going to fund and sanction it, someone needs to care. If not, make it a club sport and start a men’s soccer program.

7. Default Re: Cajun Golf

How much does a golf coach actually teach these kids? They all come in with their game in place most have taken lessons from pros for many years. The college coaches do nothing fundamentally for them. If you have a guy who can raise money and drive the van in college golf that is all you need. Golf is not football, basketball, or baseball you have to really be looking for it to find out what kind of success or lack of success they are having. Most people don't care.
    That is not the point, if it were you would be correct. The point is we clearly are not recruiting the best kids available. I agree with everything you said, but if our current coach is getting 2nd rate talent (with the exception of 1 or 2 players) lets get a coach that can recruit 6-7 really good players not one that can recruit 1 or maybe 2. The same goes for tennis, you may not care and if the sport is handling its own business who cares, but as MAT stated then why are do we have it in the first place. I don't need our golf team to be the best in the SBC year in and year out, but we should not have 10 years of subpar performances.

Golf, if you step back, seems to take care of “their own” (local) when it comes to recruiting and the rest more often than not are fillers.

9. Default Re: Cajun Golf

Athletic departments should have the appearance of caring and trying to better each sport.

10. UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: Cajun Golf

We’re not and should not fire coaches in non revenue sports for lack of winning the SBC, but does everything else right. Let’s be clear football, MBB, BB, SB, all need to compete very seriously in conference or better. WBB, Volleyball, golf, tennis, track and field just be middling. Soccer not important but has growth potential.

11. Default Re: Cajun Golf

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    We’re not and should not fire coaches in non revenue sports is lack of winning the SBC, but does everything else right.
    Seems counter intuitive to be coaching kids who are supposedly trying to graduate that excelling at their sport is irrelevant.

Should I apply for the next non revenue opening?

12. Default Re: Cajun Golf

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Seems counter intuitive to be coaching kids who are supposedly trying to graduate that excelling at their sport is irrelevant.

Should I apply for the next non revenue opening?
    What matters to players and fans aren’t always the same. There’s plenty of college athletes who understand their own abilities, and give a hundred percent. The game matters to them, their families, and coaches. It matters to very few others. They’re bringing nothing to the revenue stream so no they don’t matter in the bigger scheme of things. We can barely compete with the revenue and glory sports. I’m not firing the golf guy for not winning. I’m letting his contract expire. Hell we’re not firing the Big Fish.

13. Default Re: Cajun Golf

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    What matters to players and fans aren’t always the same. There’s plenty of college athletes who understand their own abilities, and give a hundred percent. The game matters to them, their families, and coaches. It matters to very few others. They’re bringing nothing to the revenue stream so no they don’t matter in the bigger scheme of things. We can barely compete with the revenue and glory sports. I’m not firing the golf guy for not winning. I’m letting his contract expire. Hell we’re not firing the Big Fish.
    Golf is at the bottom of the totem poll, but no sport makes money.

Its all about 'relative' advertising exposure.

Louisiana would not be R1 without athletics. In fact, without historical athletics UL would be about the size of Louisiana College (forget new name)

Thread Information