Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread: Gripe, Concern with Baseball

1. Default Re: Gripe, Concern with Baseball

I’m an “old school” baseball type and I certainly don’t love this new generation of player. But at some point, we have to adjust to the new player rather than trying to force them to adjust to our “philosophy”, in my opinion. There are plenty of programs around the country that are finding success doing just that.

It’s still early. 2022 has its own story to tell. But patterns are developing in year 3 that can’t be ignored.

Default Re: Gripe, Concern with Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    There's an issue with that generation and the previous generation is partially to blame.

Remember Tony talking about select baseball? Kids don't have to sit the bench or earn their spot. They don't switch positions because the roster isn't big enough.

Add to that, some of these kids have never been told "no." They get everything they want and if there's an issue with a teacher or coach, the parent works to get the teacher or coach fired. We've seen that a lot the last few years in our high schools.

By his own admission, Matt is a tough guy to play for. There's going to be adversity and he's going to be the cause of some of it. But this business of "he made me change positions and I can't get comfortable"well, we don't tolerate excuses from coaches and shouldn't tolerate them from players either.

The guys who aren't here any more either didn't fit or weren't 100% committed. Period.

In case any of you were unaware, Matt coached similarly when he was at Sam Houston. All he did was win three championships and become the first Southland school ever to win a regional.

His biggest problem for some fans here is he isn't Robe.
    Well said. I'll add that this fan base needs to get over the 2000 season, 2014, 2015, and 2016 seasons. Those are long gone. they also need to get over the fact that this is not Robe's program anymore. Rest his soul. This program needs to move on and create it's own identity which means the identity that Deggs creates with HIS type of players. This is now Matt Degg's program and some folks need to get a grip on that. Every coach is different and brings a different style to the table. The stench of Talbot still lingers but sooner than later these players will "get it" and when they do, this program will be fun to watch. Give it time.

At Diamond Club, he had a lot of "rah-rah" jargon about how tough they are and how hard they worked, and how he got rid of those not cut out for it, etc. It just reminds me of HUD. A maniacal ego that can talk the talk, and people are just fascinated with the empty words. Much akin to some tele-evangelists, can spew hollow rhetoric that gives you the warm fuzzies and people open up their checkbooks. If a former player used the word "fraud" as a coach, I have nothing to rebut if using only what I see from the stands. Nothing at all. Aside from what is heard from within the program, I can't convince myself he is the long-term best choice for the program. My opinion of him began to dwindle after reading his book. It could have been a solid "C" for a 7th grade term paper. My opinion only. I am not trying to convince anyone I am correct. I obviously still hope the team excels and has great success.

4. Default Re: Gripe, Concern with Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by jumboragncajun View Post
    At Diamond Club, hehad a lot of "rah-rah" jargon about how tough they are and how hard they worked, and how he got rid of those not cut out for it, etc. It just reminds me of HUD. A maniacal ego that can talk the talk, and people are just fascinated with the empty words. Much akin to some tele-evangelists, can spew hollow rhetoric that gives you the warm fuzzies and people open up their checkbooks. If a former player used the word "fraud" as a coach, I have nothing to rebut if using only what I see from the stands. Nothing at all. Aside from what is heard from within the program, I can't convince myself he is the long-term best choice for the program. My opinion of him began to dwindle after reading his book. It could have a solid "C" for a 7th grade term paper. My opinion only. I am not trying to convince anyone I am correct. I obviously still hope the team excels and has great success.
    Feel like I should qualify my comments after that nuke job.

My comments are 100% about baseball and not at all about Deggs as a man. I have a great deal of respect for Matt Deggs, personally.

At Diamond Club, hehad a lot of "rah-rah" jargon about how tough they are and how hard they worked, and how he got rid of those not cut out for it, etc. It just reminds me of HUD. A maniacal ego that can talk the talk, and people are just fascinated with the empty words. Much akin to some tele-evangelists, can spew hollow rhetoric that gives you the warm fuzzies and people open up their checkbooks. If a former player used the word "fraud" as a coach, I have nothing to rebut if using only what I see from the stands. Nothing at all. Aside from what is heard from within the program, I can't convince myself he is the long-term best choice for the program. My opinion of him began to dwindle after reading his book. It could have a solid "C" for a 7th grade term paper. My opinion only. I am not trying to convince anyone I am correct. I obviously still hope the team excels and has great success.
    Tell us how you really feel

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    There's an issue with that generation and the previous generation is partially to blame.

Remember Tony talking about select baseball? Kids don't have to sit the bench or earn their spot. They don't switch positions because the roster isn't big enough.

Add to that, some of these kids have never been told "no." They get everything they want and if there's an issue with a teacher or coach, the parent works to get the teacher or coach fired. We've seen that a lot the last few years in our high schools.

By his own admission, Matt is a tough guy to play for. There's going to be adversity and he's going to be the cause of some of it. But this business of "he made me change positions and I can't get comfortable"well, we don't tolerate excuses from coaches and shouldn't tolerate them from players either.

The guys who aren't here any more either didn't fit or weren't 100% committed. Period.

In case any of you were unaware, Matt coached similarly when he was at Sam Houston. All he did was win three championships and become the first Southland school ever to win a regional.

His biggest problem for some fans here is he isn't Robe.
    I tend to give coaches opportunity to adjust their rosters the first few years in a program. If I'm going to hold my coaching staff accountable, they must be given the opportunity to hold their athletes accountable in their system. College athletics are result oriented, the more success a staff has, the more acceptable supporters are with their roster decisions. As long as the athletes have had a fair opportunity to compete for playing time, I'm okay with the roster changes. I see Coach Deggs continue to give players opportunities and they continue to not perform. I wonder what some supporters will say when these athletes are not part of the program going forward next season, especially a few of the local ones?

7. Default Re: Gripe, Concern with Baseball

I’m glad someone said it.

8. Default Re: Gripe, Concern with Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I tend to give coaches opportunity to adjust their rosters the first few years in a program. If I'm going to hold my coaching staff accountable, they must be given the opportunity to hold their athletes accountable in their system. College athletics are result oriented, the more success a staff has, the more acceptable supporters are with their roster decisions. As long as the athletes have had a fair opportunity to compete for playing time, I'm okay with the roster changes. I see Coach Deggs continue to give players opportunities and they continue to not perform. I wonder what some supporters will say when these athletes are not part of the program going forward next season, especially a few of the local ones?
    I think people are ok with other players getting the opportunity to play. The concern is HOW he does it. He’s managed to alienate several, not few, several players from the group and that started immediately when he got here.

I totally agree that toughness and overcoming adversity has to be part of the recipe, but you can’t just chop people’s knees out from under them and then complain when they struggle to walk.

Winning will cure alot of things and if that happens it will be really fun. The process sucks in that we want consistency. Obviously the coaches are still confident in what they have on this roster to compete at a high level

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I think people are ok with other players getting the opportunity to play. The concern is HOW he does it. He’s managed to alienate several, not few, several players from the group and that started immediately when he got here.

I totally agree that toughness and overcoming adversity has to be part of the recipe, but you can’t just chop people’s knees out from under them and then complain when they struggle to walk.
    The problem in examining how he, or any other coach conducts themselves is usually one side gets heard and the other does not.

As a business owner you understand this, very similar to a Workers Comp Claim. The employee is injured on the job and immediately calls a attorney before the incident is investigated and he is drug tested. Of course the attorney advises his client not to take the test. Unfortunately that clutters the insurance companies investigation and the employee's possible negligence.

Look who the pitched for Tulane last night vs SE Carter Robinson,, and stuck it up SE rear end. after watching our pitching for 8 games,, tell me he coudln't help us now He left after starting 9 games with a 3.17 era-- yet he can't pitch here? Or didn't want to? strange.

12. Default Re: Gripe, Concern with Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    The problem in examining how he, or any other coach conducts themselves is usually one side gets heard and the other does not.

As a business owner you understand this, very similar to a Workers Comp Claim. The employee is injured on the job and immediately calls a attorney before the incident is investigated and he is drug tested. Of course the attorney advises his client not to take the test. Unfortunately that clutters the insurance companies investigation and the employee's possible negligence.
    That’s a pretty good analogy. And I get your point. You’re a baseball man, so I know you can have a nuanced conversation about this.

My bottom line question to myself is pretty simple: Is our strategy to bring guys in and run them off until we sort out “Deggs guys” or would it be more plausible to adjust to the talents (and personalities) that we’re bringing in and adapt? I’m not proposing a culture change or anything like that. The above question is really as simple as I can make it while still trying to convey that I know it’s a multi-layered issue.

Quote Originally Posted by laf1049 View Post
    Look who the pitched for Tulane last night vs SE Carter Robinson,, and stuck it up SE rear end. after watching our pitching for 8 games,, tell me he coudln't help us now He left after starting 9 games with a 3.17 era-- yet he can't pitch here? Or didn't want to? strange.
    Did he get let go or was it his choice to leave?

I was told in Ben Fitzgerald's case he told Deggs in his exit interview he was still weighing his options. Deggs told him in that case go ahead and go. If you are not 100% sure you want to be here you should be shown the door.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post

I know when he got here he let many freshman go. One that he let go just re-committed last week, after saying he'd never come back here again just 2 years ago. But when the coaches called him while he was on another visit and said "we will make you an offer you can't refuse" that changed his mind about the staff and this place.

15. Default Re: Gripe, Concern with Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    I know when he got here he let many freshman go. One that he let go just re-committed last week, after saying he'd never come back here again just 2 years ago. But when the coaches called him while he was on another visit and said "we will make you an offer you can't refuse" that changed his mind about the staff and this place.
    If we’re talking about the same guy, it was a Talbot issue, not a staff issue.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread Information