Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Savoie, UL seek authorization for 2nd acquisition to link main campus, athletic complex

Default Re: Savoie, UL seek authorization for 2nd acquisition to link main campus, athletic complex

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    I forgot about Hamilton.

I think the bold move for the nursing school is to build it next to the hospital. I know it is out of the way, but it would be a step towards showing the powers that be we're serious on the medical front and have zero interest in being a landlord. Know it is a hugh uphill battle, but we need to pull the trigger first in the medical gunfight. Either we start the discussion or get slapped down like the mutts did trying to take over LSU-S. Work shows more committment than a laughable attempted political coup.

The north end of Cajundome has bore fruit, but not like many envisioned. Time to start working the area. Don't waste the R-1 status. Does anyone know what goes on at the farm in Cade, if anything?
    Build it next to what hospital? UMC, I guess? That’s a good thought, but we need to save the corner of CD Blvd and Congress open for a new heyman-type building. But I think there would be room for both of those buildings.

I went ahead and found the property around the Lite building and umc on the assessor’s page. Yeah, that is a pretty big piece of property.

Default Re: Savoie, UL seek authorization for 2nd acquisition to link main campus, athletic complex

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    Build it next to what hospital? UMC, I guess? That’s a good thought, but we need to save the corner of CD Blvd and Congress open for a new heyman-type building. But I think there would be room for both of those buildings.
    LCMC is in the other side of Girard Park.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    LCMC is in the other side of Girard Park.
    Well, yeah. But that’s why I asked him which hospital he was referring to. I think he meant UMC, but I’ll let him answer.

Am I understanding the advocate article correctly? I mean there is the OLOL property, which is where the old hospital was located, but is now mostly vacant, except for the garage that was attached to the hospital. Then there are the MOB’s and attached parking tower that is located along St Mary, and that are owned by the diocese…and that we are in talks as land-swap, for the property on campus, across from the present OLOW church.

And then there is the ‘St Joseph’ parking tower on St Joseph/St Landry, across from Martin & Castille, which I assume is owned by OLOL and not the diocese.

If the article is really about us buying the OLOL property that would be so great….another step towards owning that whole St Landry campus. Hope I’m understanding this correctly.

Do we really want a medical school? Is that a goal of ours that we are pursuing?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    How does this acquisition connect the main campus to the athletic complex? It appears to be surrounded by several blocks of residential homes.

This image is taken from the 2012 masterplan. The main campus ties into the old OLOL property and then uses St. Landry to tie into the Cajundome blvd corridor

Quote Originally Posted by cb089 View Post

This image is taken from the 2012 masterplan. The main campus ties into the old OLOL property and then uses St. Landry to tie into the Cajundome blvd corridor
    Correct. And to add to this, here is the part of the master plan outlining what properties we should target in the future. A few things to note:

1) It was assumed that we would eventually own the OLOL/Diocese property, so the ‘only’ sections in that area we needed to focus on are the retail/medical buildings along St Landry, in front of the OLOL property, and then the residential section further along St Landry, and not OLOL property itself.

2) Seems like the most ambitious/expensive pieces to buy would be the retail properties along Johnston St, between University and Cajundome Blvd.

3) This is obviously a long-term goal, as we certainty do not have the funds to go out and buy all of these properties. But it’s very nice to know that we have a good plan to consult guide us when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    Is the proposed sight for the new Wisdom where EK long currently sits?

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    No. EKL is not going anywhere. The new site for OLOW is the parking lot next to EKL…what used to be tennis courts.

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    The parking lot/ old tennis courts next to EKL

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58 View Post
    If UL acquires the Old Tyme Grocery properties, I want to run the place doing Shrimp PoBoy research.
    Fine. You win.

I call dibs on the softshell crab poboy, then.

Well, yeah. But that’s why I asked him which hospital he was referring to. I think he meant UMC, but I’ll let him answer.
    Yes, UMC. We own all that land, makes sense to use it in an appropriate manner. The old OLOL property in time could be home for Hamilton or even research structures.

13. Default Re: Savoie, UL seek authorization for 2nd acquisition to link main campus, athletic complex

2) Seems like the most ambitious/expensive pieces to buy would be the retail properties along Johnston St, between University and Cajundome Blvd.
    Legacy Park property is one notable acquisition

At the same time over the past few years I've seen some empty properties pop up and UL let some other entities snap them up.

One built some apartments between the pawn shop and the horticulture center.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Legacy Park property is one notable acquisition

At the same time over the past few years I've seen some empty properties pop up and UL let some other entities snap them up.

One built some apartments between the pawn shop and the horticulture center.
    Yep. The one that gets to me is the empty lot behind the T & F complex, along N. College. As land-locked as we are in the ath complex campus, looks like we could’ve used that. And it is marked on the master plan as desired. Guess the money wasn’t there and the St Landry stuff had higher priorities.

BTW, when you say Legacy Park, I think you mean the property where the new Heritage complex are located….the strip mall, etc., next to it? We already owned the land where the Legacy Apt complex is located.

15. Default Re: Savoie, UL seek authorization for 2nd acquisition to link main campus, athletic complex

Yep. The one that gets to me is the empty lot behind the T & F complex, along N. College. As land-locked as we are in the ath complex campus, looks like we could’ve used that. And it is marked on the master plan as desired. Guess the money wasn’t there and the St Landry stuff had higher priorities.

BTW, when you say Legacy Park, I think you mean the property where the new Heritage complex are located….the strip mall, etc., next to it? We already owned the land where the Legacy Apt complex is located.
    Yes Heritage.

Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information