Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bo Lamar NCAA greatness

Default Re: Bo Lamar

Yeah, any spot once Bo crossed half court he needed to be defended. He’s one of those “only if they had a 3 point line” guys.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58 View Post
    I was a kid back then and didn’t miss a game. I was there when Bo-Pete scored 62. There was a man from the opposition that kept yelling “One man team, One man team!” So I yelled at him “one man is beating you’re whole team!!!” My Dad grabbed me and about whopped me on the side of the head! I guess I was a little Smart Azz. ��
    Funny!

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Bo Lamar

Quote Originally Posted by covcaj View Post
    Interestingly, a couple of history profs, who were avid sports followers, told me that Lamar was not the main prospect. Shipley really wanted Fred Townsend, who did sign, but Bo was more of an after thought.
    It's interesting to note how people remember the same thing in different ways. This is what I remember. First, "Fred Townsend" is a combination name of two players from that era: Payton Townsend who, it was claimed, could swipe a coin from the top of the backboard, and Fred Saunders, a younger, highly regarded recruit and player. I don't remember any player from that time period named Fred Townsend. Second, it was said at the time that our coaches were looking to sign Ed Ratliff, a teammate of Bo's. Shipley tried to swing a package deal, but Ratliff signed with Long Beach State, which at the time, was coached by Jerry Tarkanian. It sure is good to go down this road.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint View Post
    It's interesting to note how people remember the same thing in different ways. This is what I remember. First, "Fred Townsend" is a combination name of two players from that era: Payton Townsend who, it was claimed, could swipe a coin from the top of the backboard, and Fred Saunders, a younger, highly regarded recruit and player. I don't remember any player from that time period named Fred Townsend. Second, it was said at the time that our coaches were looking to sign Ed Ratliff, a teammate of Bo's. Shipley tried to swing a package deal, but Ratliff signed with Long Beach State, which at the time, was coached by Jerry Tarkanian. It sure is good to go down this road.
    You are correct. It was Fred Saunders. I knew Fred Townsend wasn't correct but could not for the life of me remember the name. Thanks. (I would blame it on a senior moment, but I've been having those since I was 27.)

And, it is certainly possible that I do not remember the story correctly, either. There have been times when I could have sworn that certain events took place in a certain way, only to find visual evidence that I did not remember correctly. Memories are indeed fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by covcaj View Post
    Interestingly, a couple of history profs, who were avid sports followers, told me that Lamar was not the main prospect. Shipley really wanted Fred Townsend, who did sign, but Bo was more of an after thought.
    What I remember is Shipley was recruiting Ed Ratliff and when he went to see him, saw Lamar. Ratliff signed with Long Beach State and USL got Lamar. Both became All Americans. Long Beach State actually played USL in the Bayou Classic at Blackham that was covered by Sports Illustrated, I guess the equivalent of ESPN today as a sports authority. 2 All Americans on the same court and former high school teammates. As I recall, USL won that game and was a feature in S.I. Great basketball and great times!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    What I remember is Shipley was recruiting Ed Ratliff and when he went to see him, saw Lamar. Ratliff signed with Long Beach State and USL got Lamar. Both became All Americans. Long Beach State actually played USL in the Bayou Classic at Blackham that was covered by Sports Illustrated, I guess the equivalent of ESPN today as a sports authority. 2 All Americans on the same court and former high school teammates. As I recall, USL won that game and was a feature in S.I. Great basketball and great times!
    I was there for that game. At the time Long Beach and USL were both top ten. The joint was rocking.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint View Post
    Yes, this is correct. However, let's not let that get in the way of a good story. I'm sure there are thousands of fans out there that saw Bo play!

8. Default Re: Bo Lamar NCAA greatness

Tens of thousands.

Don’t forget that we had Roy Ebron on the inside and he had to be covered. He was about 6’9” and a beast. If Lamar didn’t make the shot, it was still going in.

Default Re: Bo Lamar NCAA greatness

Man, we should make a documentary showcasing the rich history of the Beryl Shipley era.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    Man, we should make a documentary showcasing the rich history of the Beryl Shipley era.
    What would you call it? Shed some light.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    What would you call it? Shed some light.
    Lights Out on Lights Out in Blackham Coliseum Documentary

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    Lights Out on Lights Out in Blackham Coliseum Documentary
    Yep. That train has left the station.

About 25 or so years ago, I was in my early 20's. I played in anopen 3 on 3 basketball tournament here in Lafayette. I was playing with some guys that Ive played with since I was a kid. So we started running through a bunch of teams, until.we faced a team with Bo Lamar. Now, at the time I didnt even realize it was him. Mostly because I never wouldve in my wildest dreams think I would be playing against him in a 3 on 3 tourney. Anyway, first play, kid throws the ball into Bo from half court, he turns and launches it from about 5 ft from half court line.nothing but net. As I turn back to look at this old guy who just drained this shot like it was nothing, I turned to the crowd along the sidelines in disbelief, one of the guys just looks at me and says, "Bo Lamar". I immediately look back at the old guy and realizeholy ____e! It really is HIM! Well, needless to say we lost. Bo literally scored 90% of their points exactly like he did on his first shot. Take the inbound pass, turn, and drain a 3 from half court. Hahahaha! It was freekin ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    About 25 or so years ago, I was in my early 20's. I played in anopen 3 on 3 basketball tournament here in Lafayette. I was playing with some guys that Ive played with since I was a kid. So we started running through a bunch of teams, until.we faced a team with Bo Lamar. Now, at the time I didnt even realize it was him. Mostly because I never wouldve in my wildest dreams think I would be playing against him in a 3 on 3 tourney. Anyway, first play, kid throws the ball into Bo from half court, he turns and launches it from about 5 ft from half court line.nothing but net. As I turn back to look at this old guy who just drained this shot like it was nothing, I turned to the crowd along the sidelines in disbelief, one of the guys just looks at me and says, "Bo Lamar". I immediately look back at the old guy and realizeholy ____e! It really is HIM! Well, needless to say we lost. Bo literally scored 90% of their points exactly like he did on his first shot. Take the inbound pass, turn, and drain a 3 from half court. Hahahaha! It was freekin ridiculous.
    That is such a cool story!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information